Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Passing motorist rescues trapped driver from burning 18-Wheeler on I-95...

I guess we found the one and only nice person on I-95 in CT. I swear, this section of highway in Bridgeport is like the Bermuda Triangle. This is in the same area as the tanker fire that melterd the brand new bridge a month or two ago.

I've got to give this guy credit. Most people generally run away from burning trucks. This guy ran right to it and got the trapped driver out while the damn thing was burning all around him.

(Bridgeport-WTNH, June 2, 2004 Updated 5:05 PM) _ A traffic nightmare along I-95 in Bridgeport this morning. The interstate was shut down in both directions after a tractor trailer caught fire.

Some quick thinking by a good Samaritan has saved the life of a truck driver.[/b]

It happened this morning after a crash and fire on I-95 in Bridgeport.

The tractor-trailer swerved to avoid a car, then rolled onto the side of I-95 and burst into flames. Joe Hopkins, a former Army medic, was driving the other way, but he stopped and ran back to the truck.

Joseph Hopkins, Milford, says,"The jersey barrier was like this, and the truck - it fell over and it was laying, basically the passenger door was on top of the jersey barrier."

Trapping the trucker inside. Another driver took these photos. You can see flames make escape from the driver's side impossible. Someone handed Hopkins a fire extinguisher - it was too small to fight the flames, so he used it to smash the passenger window and pull the driver out. The driver had minor cuts on his head. Hopkins was hurt worse.

Hopkins says, "Tip of my fingers are cut open and when I was swinging the fire extinguisher, the mirror was hitting my arm and stuff, so I got bruises and holes in my arm."

I-95 was closed for hours, traffic was re-routed on local streets but it was nothing like March's tanker truck fire that melted a bridge less than a mile away. The Bridgeport construction area is now notorious for serious accidents.

Edgar Gonzalez says,"It happened again. It's unbelievable, it's unbelievable."

"It's the third tractor trailer that's flipped over in the same spot in the last 3 months up there," says "Al".

Fortunately, Joe Hopkins was there for this one. He was treated at West Haven's VA hospital, where he says heroes are common.

Hopkins says, "You don't get here unless you are a hero, and I'm proud to be at the VA, be a member. The real heroes are all around here, not just me."

Police have released the truck driver's name, he's 71-year-old Sam Owens from New Jersey. Police say Owens was following too close to traffic and was driving too fast in a construction zone.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

It's a good thing it worked out the way it did. As a rule, bystanders and passersby need to keep bystanding or passing by and leave the dangerous stuff like rescues to the professionals. Many times 'good Samaritans' become dead Samaritans. But he got a chance to play hero and not get killed doing it so congradulations to him.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

The man didnt "play hero" ...He was a hero.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

In most interstate type situations you'd better hope someone "wants to play hero," if not you'll be dead by the time the "heros" arrive.

Yea, really. Look at that truck. I'm pretty sure those pictures are after his rescue and obviosuly before any emergency services were on scene. Do you think anyone would be alive in that oven?

Another brilliant post by the infamous cellblock.........

Default Lucky:)

That is good that a quick thinking samaritan was able to get the driver out... I don't think that they would have survived very well if it were a slower thinking one!
    Firefighters are beneficial to every community with the wealth of information they have!

They don't get enough praise, for the information and skills they know! It could save your life one day!!!!!

Unhappy Thank God for real heroes.

Originally posted by cellblock
    It's a good thing it worked out the way it did. As a rule, bystanders and passersby need to keep bystanding or passing by and leave the dangerous stuff like rescues to the professionals. Many times 'good Samaritans' become dead Samaritans. But he got a chance to play hero and not get killed doing it so congradulations to him.
    Compare these generalized timelines...

00:00 Accident occurs.
    00:30 Bystander notices.
    00:45 Bystander decides to take action.
    01:30 Bystander runs back to accident.
    02:30 Bystander breaks window, rescues driver.

00:00 Accident occurs.
    00:30 Dozens of people call 911. No one acts.
    01:00 Dispatch pages nearest fire company.
    01:45 Company is enroute to accident.
    05:45 Company should be on scene, but is navigating accident traffic.
    07:15 Company is on scene.
    08:00 Company stretches line & gets water on fire.
    14:00 Fire is under control. Coroner is notified.

You're that driver, Cellblock... Which do you choose?

Aren't you the one that is willing to put a civilian on a handline at a fire scene?

Kudos to the former medic. It takes some real balls to do what he did...

Naw, I know how blockhead would attack this fire. He would go to this pickup truck and get some improvised explosives an pack them all around the tanker. He'll then hook the wires up to his car battery and with a flip of the left turn signal... BOOM. No more fire, just like an oil well!

Originally posted by 42VTExplorer

Aren't you the one that is willing to put a civilian on a handline at a fire scene?

Almost forgot about that one.......

Awwww how can we ever forget anything about Cupcake?

Naw, I know how blockhead would attack this fire. He would go to this pickup truck and get some improvised explosives an pack them all around the tanker. He'll then hook the wires up to his car battery and with a flip of the left turn signal... BOOM. No more fire, just like an oil well!
    C'mon NMFIRE, I think he'd a little more fun that that! Maybe he'd respond that 1 man engine and try to fight the fire himself! We all know that he can recruit a couple of those passerbys to advance a line or two. Maybe the light shows from all the POVs responding will help too.

Originally posted by cellblock
    As a rule, bystanders and passersby need to keep bystanding or passing by and leave the dangerous stuff like rescues to the professionals.
    So according to your "rule," if a man is walking by a house fire and he hears a little boy inside screaming "Help me!" the proper thing for him to do is keep on walking??? Wow. That seems so cruel and inhumane. Can he at least call 911 on his cell phone? That way he can yell to the kid "Don't worry! I know the fire has almost reached you and you can't hardly breathe, but I called 911 and they should be dispatching the professionals any second now."

NOTE: To any civilian reading this, please do not pay any attention to Cellblock and this fictional rule.

There is nothing wrong with a passerby wanting to stop and help someone in desparate need of help. Whether that person is in a life/death situation or not. I'm sorry that you don't think an Army medic is a "big, tough, professional hero" like us volunteer firemen, but he did the right thing. Cell, you sound jealous to me in your post. I think you might believe this takes something away from FFs and you have a hard time believing someone other than a FF can be a hero. And yes, it was a heroic act, and he is a hero for saving that man's life. He wasn't just playing.

I know you are an atheist, but I believe God often puts a hero in the right place at the right time. Just like a while back in Beckley, WV. A woman wrecked her SUV on the interstate and was trapped in the burning vehicle. Just a couple of seconds later, several of Seattle's bravest just happened to be coming through in a vehicle. They were in town for training. They quickly cut her seatbelt with a rescue knife and pulled her out. By the time an engine arrived on scene, she too would have been long gone.

Who can forget the brilliant self-portrait of "The Militant Athiest Cupcake"...

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Who can forget the brilliant self-portrait of "The Militant Athiest Cupcake"...
    OH MY GOD!!!! I AM DYING HERE!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Default while I usually don't agree with militant wackers...

Woman Dies After Crash in Hawaii, After Bystanders Attempt to Right Overturned Vehicle

Associated Press

HILO, Hawaii (AP) -- Would-be good Samaritans who came upon a single-car crash near Akaka Falls rolled the overturned vehicle on its side, possibly contributing to the driver's death, officials said.

The driver, a well-known Big Island puppeteer, substitute teacher and recycling educator, was alive immediately following the crash Thursday morning, officials said.

A doctor who called 911 told rescuers Jo Anne Diotalevi, 59, was talking and had a pulse after the car flipped upside-down, said Hawaii County Fire Capt. David Wung.

A fire dispatcher told at least one caller not to move the victim, but it's not clear that message was given to the bystanders who rolled the car onto its side, he said.

``When someone tells you don't do it, don't do it,'' Wung said.

When paramedics arrived, Diotalevi was dead, he said. They found her upside down, her weight resting on her head and her neck bent at a 90-degree angle, Wung said.

Diotalevi was officially pronounced dead at Hilo Medical Center, police said. Police ordered an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

Diotalevi was one of three permanent education coordinators for Recycle Hawaii, said Nelson Ho, Hawaii County's deputy director of environmental management.

``I think she was a valuable educator and made a really good contribution to recycling on the Big Island,'' he said.

Diotalevi was an original member of ``Puppets on the Path,'' which toured nationally and performed music about Hawaii's environment and natural history, said Angie Baker, who knew her for 30 years.

``She was very passionate about sharing with children about love for the land and how to take care of it and be connected to it through music and creative drama,'' Baker said.

don't get me wrong, this guy was a hero. but he could have ended up being the second victum in the MVA had he not been so lucky.

how many times have you guys came to a serious MVA, with a well meaning person helping a bloodied driver out of the car? and this is after you see the windshield is spidered, air bags deploy, and the person wasn't wearing a seatbelt?

or you come upon a 4 car MVA, with 10 people complaining of neck pain, while all the bystanders are trying to help? their intentions might be good, but they might end up causing more damage than good.
    So according to your "rule," if a man is walking by a house fire and he hears a little boy inside screaming "Help me!" the proper thing for him to do is keep on walking???
    no, he should call 911 and start the fire department. because if he does rush in there, get to the little boy, and then gets burned/collapses from smoke inhalation and lack of oxygen, then you have 2 victums down, instead of just one.

this guy was the exception, but as a general rule, calling 911 and getting emeregency personnel to the scene is what the general public should do when they come to an emergency scene.
    Last edited by DrParasite; 06-06-2004 at 04:20 PM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default Apples and oranges

The folks in Hawaii did absolutely the wrong thing. The man on I-95 did the right thing. You cannot compare someone yanking a person out of a car for no good reason to RESCUING someone from BURNING to DEATH.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Administrator

Posting photos of an individual without his/her permission is not tolerated here. users will be removed.

Thread Information