MembersZone Subscriber

Default Man, that could have been bad!

This is from a fire we had last night. The house is nearly 100 years old and had been subject to numerous modifications over the years. One of which caused us a great deal of concern. Here's an exterior view of the room of origin. Note the chimney. You can't really see it from this view but the top has a little brick arch rain cover but is otherwise open and appears fully functional.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a view of the same chimney from inside the room of origin.

Forum Member

Wowsers!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

And here's another view of the same chimney. It was located right over the stove so every time the residents cooked, they had this thing over their heads. Obviously, with the fire damage it posed a huge danger to our people.

I've never seen anything like this, but I'm no contractor. I also don't recall seeing it in any classroom setting or trade publication. Is it common practice? Is there some external visual clue that could have tipped us off?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wholy shiz!!!!!!!!!!!

Several years ago, a guy I know was remodeling his home. He decided to remove the chimney so he started removing it brick by brick....FROM THE BOTTOM.

To make a long story short, he had made his way to the first floor and was standing on a metal folding chair, reaching bricks up towards the ceiling when the phone rang. While talking on the phone......KABOOOOOOOOOOM.....followed by a rush of silt that filled his entire house. He went to the kitchen to find a flat chair and a room full of bricks!!!!!
    Smile....it ain't all that bad!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for posting the photos... I'm going to make sure all of our guys see this to prove the point that it's not always what you see that's gonna kill you!
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

We know these as 'wooden chimneys'....and yes they are potential killers. We run across these every once in a while, usually in old balloon frame homes such as the one pictured here. We worked a nasty fire a few years ago in an old balloon house with multiple false walls, voids, etc. Lo and behold we found one of these during overhaul, it was supported by two 2x10's that were 2/3 burned through and was right above where crews had been working. We wound up pulling it down with a winch the next day before the homeowners started salvaging their possessions. I know of no sure way to identify one from the exterior, although in an old house with multiple chimneys through the roof I would be immediately suspicious.

Forum Member

Is it my eyes or is that a vent hole cut in the roof in the first picture? You shouldn't do that, it burns houses down. Need to use the PPV fan and a fog.

That is one d@mn scary chimney setup that I hope I never run across!

EFD - mind if I "save" this picture for an upcoming Truck Company Ops class? Good example of the unexpected.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it my eyes or is that a vent hole cut in the roof in the first picture?
    Alas, it is something of an optical illusion. Nobody was home when the fire started and it was reported by a passer-by after it vented through the roof. We didn't get the chance to cut the hole and make it burn down faster.

It is a tin roof (coated with something that was slick as owl s%$#) and what you're seeing is a result of some overhaul work. TCfire nailed the description of this house perfectly. Balloon frame, lots of voids, 12' tongue and groove ceiling, etc. An overhaul nightmare.

These pics don't show it well, but what we had was the kitchen on fire in the living area and the entire attic fully involved. Fortunately, the tounge-and-groove acted like a good firebreak and although the tin roof is gone, the house ain't.

Please, use the pictures. I took these pics posted them because it scared the crap out of me and I wanted to find out if these were common. That room was ripping and the thing could have fallen at any time.

I've got these and just a few more of the house in good quality 1600x1200 jpegs. If you (or anyone else) are interested, post or send me your e-mail and I will shoot them your way.

EFD840 I'd love to get the extra pictures you have.

Email is "CAKJR AT KOLEDOVISION DOT COM". Sorry about breaking it up like that, I'm paranoid about all the harevesters that these crackpots on the internet are using now. Most of them aren't smart enough yet to convert the AT and DOT to the @ and the . yet, so let's hope it stays that way alot longer!

FIGJAM

Wow!
    Luke

Forum Member

Post True

Yeah it could have been bad if there was any more damage to that building structure. You were lucky that you were able to save some of the building... It could have been a complete loss.
    Firefighters are beneficial to every community with the wealth of information they have!

They don't get enough praise, for the information and skills they know! It could save your life one day!!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    Is it my eyes or is that a vent hole cut in the roof in the first picture? You shouldn't do that, it burns houses down. Need to use the PPV fan and a fog.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Forum Member

WOW ................thank goodness you are all ok .........and Bones that was funny !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Wow.......................

All the things that can kill you. I've never seen one of these, and I hope I never do. EFD, I'd like to see this passed on to Chief Billy Goldfeder for use by Firefighterclosecalls.com This could save someones life.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

FIGJAM

ditto to hwoods statement about passing on these pix...
    Luke

Forum Member

Yikes, I'm glad you all are ok. Thanks for the pictures they will definitely make it into future training.

MembersZone Subscriber

In a fire mag a few years ago they had a story about these chimneys and it was a common practice to build this type chimney around the turn of the century. It saved on construction costs. Brick was expensive and this saved allot of material but who knows how many lives they have claimed over the years. If I could get a copy of the pictures at firefighter430@hotmail.com it would be great or at our common mail at info@smokeandfireprevention.com just put FF430 in the subject.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Wow.......................

Originally posted by hwoods
    EFD, I'd like to see this passed on to Chief Billy Goldfeder for use by Firefighterclosecalls.com This could save someones life.
    Done.

Forum Member

We had a similar situation on a fire a few years ago. We had a fire at a country club that got into the attic. There was, what appeard to be, a stone chimney on the involved end of the structure. Well, we had a couple of guys just enter the attic space when the HVAC unit and the stone chimney came crashing down just a couple of feet from them. Luckily noone was operating below on the first floor any more, either. Close call!
    Lt. John Kaltenbach
    Mifflin Fire - Rescue 133
    Gahanna, OH

"Vermögen bevorzugt das tapfere!"

Thread Information