Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Maryland - 4 Alarm Church Fire

Hey guys,
    We currently have a working church fire with three alarms at the St Peters Church in Libertytown, Maryland. First unit on scene reported heavy fire coming from the steeple and requested a 2nd alarm immediately. 3rd alarm was transmitted about 10 minutes ago. Current conditions are unknown to me as I don't have my portable scanner with me at work now. At least three Tactical talkgroups are being used. Will update as more info becomes availible!

Update @13:45 - Command has evacuated the building and the attack has switched to a defensive attack.

Update @13:47 - Fourth Alarm has been transmitted at this time!
    Last edited by mustang911; 06-03-2004 at 01:45 PM.
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

Default Heres the official FH.com article...

Fire Damages Libertytown, Maryland Church

Associated Press

LIBERTYTOWN, Md. (AP) -- A fire on Thursday destroyed the steeple of Saint Peter the Apostle Catholic Church in the Frederick County community of Libertytown.

More than 100 fire fighters from three counties fought the fire, which was brought under control by mid-afternoon.

Eyewitness Corrine Mc-Williams said brick around the steeple of the nearly 100-year-old church also collapsed.

A church volunteer, Beverly Dean, said parishioners refer to the building as ``the old church.'' She said services are sometimes held in a newer building across the road.

The state Fire Marshal's office reported late Thursday that the blaze was caused by accidental overheating of roofing materials.

There was construction work under way at the building at the time of the fire. While replacing the roof of the church, heating devices used to shape metal flashing ignited, the fire marshal said.
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

Thread Information