MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie

Excerpt from The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie-Meet Michael Jacob (Jake) O'Melia:
    Jake doesn’t believe in sugar coating anything and his divorce has left him particularly bitter. Each time he visits with his two kids-Joey, a ten-year-old boy and Sara, his seven-year-old daughter-his emotional scarring deepens, because, though he despises his ex-wife, Cindy, with every fiber of his body, he loves his kids very much. Jake would die for his kids, if need be. Jake’s marriage to his high school sweetheart was straight out of a Harlequin romance novel. During the early years, Jake and Cindy were inseparable.

But as Jake became more interested in being the best firefighter that he could be and moving up the chain of command, he was neglecting his family obligations. In his mind, the very reason that he was working so hard-his family-was actually causing him to lose them.

When Cindy finally asked for the divorce, it was almost more than Jake could bear. He started drinking heavily and would even fight with his closest friends. But where it came to Joey and Sara, Jake would show uncommon compassion and patience. He did not want to see them hurt in the same way that he was hurting. As for Cindy, Jake had nothing but dark thoughts and could not bring himself to wanting her to be happy. She could die and he wouldn’t miss her. Everything he did, he did for Joey and Sara. Nothing else and no one else mattered.
    Excerpt from an upcoming episode of The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie-Welcome to Grandview Fire Department, Vinnie Cappaletti:
    “Have a seat, newbie,” says Jake, as he continues to look into the folder.

“Where?” asks Vinnie.

“Where what?” Jake asked.

“Where do I sit?” Vinnie inquires.

“Sorry.” And with that, Jake cleans the magazines from the folding chair with one sweep of his arm. “Maid doesn’t come in till Friday,” he chuckles.

There is an uneasy silence in the room as Jake looks intently at the papers that are Vinnie’s personnel file. Vinnie puts his hand into his mouth and begins to chew on a fingernail.

“Don’t do that; it bugs the hell out of me,” Jake says without looking up.

Vinnie thought; how does he DO that? It’s like he has a sixth sense.

“I’m-“ says Vinnie, cut off in mid-sentence.

“Shhh; I’m getting to the good part,” says Jake with mock excitement.

Vinnie fidgets. He is starting to feel pressure in his gut. His stomach is turning flip-flops and growling-loudly. He tries to quietly pass gas, but it reverberates against the naughahyde upholstery of the folding chair and catches the attention of Jake.
    Where can you read the continuing saga of the fictional crusty captain and his newest truck company member?
    Not here!
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 06-04-2004 at 12:03 AM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Episode #3-What Would We Do Without You, Lori Lynne Vincent finds Lori, the fire department administrative assistant asking Vinnie why he has Jimmy Mac's favorite coffee mug.
    Lori is Canadian, battling her weight and suffers from low self-esteem.
    Episode #4 will introduce us to Lieutenant James (Jimmy Mac) McCausland.
    Where can you read the continuing saga of The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie?
    Not here!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I have been busy putting together some future episodes of The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie.
    Here are some samplers:

Episode #8 - Truck Ops According to Jake
    Vent. Enter. Search.
    Three words that detonate an adrenaline “explosion” in a truckie!
    Sure; squirting water is fun and there are times when positioning the big bores can be pretty demanding, but THAT is mundane, when compared to standing on a roof that is so hot that your boots stick to the tar; when standing on a roof that is so spongy, you’d swear that you’re bouncing on a trampoline! And when you cut that hole and the black, acrid smoke pukes out, followed by fire that is hot enough to melt your face piece, it will quicken your pulse to a sprinter’s pace!

Episode #9 - Funny; You Don’t Look Like a Glow Worm!
    Sidney (Sid Vicious) Wilkerson grew up in the flatlands of North Central Ohio. Sid was born into the third generation of firefighters in his family. His granddad was a volunteer firefighter in Sid’s hometown of Coffey, Ohio. His dad retired as an assistant chief from the Lucas County, Ohio Fire Department. Sid’s brother is riding rigs in Cincinnati as an engine company lieutenant. So Sid’s occupational path to the fire service was pre-ordained.

…Sid is searching the upstairs with a TIC. Jake is doing a “blind search”-sight (limited) and by feel. It takes a little longer, but Jake has done it a thousand times before.

Episode #10 - Can I Get an Amen?
    It seems like every fire department has a merry prankster; that one guy that believes that it is his destiny to wreak havoc upon his brothers and sisters. But at Grandview, it comes in the unlikely form of the department’s chaplain! Father Timothy Thomas (Rev) Wallace is the moral conscience for his fire department and is also its most prolific practitioner of practical jokes. He spares no expense, will concoct extravagant schemes and deliver it to the least expecting, but most deserving.

…Not knowing who he was, Rev attempted to restrain the Chief. The Chief was ready to uncork a short, right hook when he noticed the collar and cross around Father Tim’s neck. Good thing, because Rev had stopped more than one fist with his face and didn’t want to hurt the old guy!

Episode #11 - Hope He’s Had His Shots!
    Sid was cradling a lifeless form in his arms. His SCBA alarm bell was still going off and they headed for the stairs. They hit every other step on their way down. As they got to the bottom, the hose team of Jimmy Mac and Vinnie came charging in. The water from the nozzle came in a gush! Jake turned around at the front door to watch his crew take the battle to their fiery beast. It won’t know what hit her Jake thought to himself.

… Father Tim had arrived in the “Bible bus”, got out and said, “Hey; I brought the marshmallows. Where’s the fire?”
    Davey yells at Rev, “Hey, Tim; they got a victim over at Rehab. Better get over there, stat!”

Episode #12 - Whazzup, Dawg?
    One of the paradoxes of extinguishing a fire with water is in doing it and in the process, not using too much water, because it may wash potential evidence of the fire’s cause away with it! Applying too much water also weakens floors and ceilings and can become potential hazards during salvage, overhaul and investigation. But more importantly, it greatly complicates the tasks of the fire investigator. Leaving as much of the structure intact after the fire is not only somewhat consoling for the property owner and his insurance agent, but it earns the praise and gratitude of fire investigators everywhere!

…Lieutenant Stuart Steven (Stew) Monihan has been the department’s investigator for 15 years. He is another of the transplanted Buckeyes. For some inexplicable reason, Grandview is flush with Ohio natives.
    Stew became interested in the fire service back in the early 70s when his local volunteer fire department built their fire station near his parent’s house. Stew hung out at the fire station and it wasn’t long before he started going on calls. He worked up through the ranks and at the ripe old age of 23 became chief. In 1986, Stew had to leave that department to concentrate on his full time career. He joined Grandview in 1989.

Episode #13 - Fade to Blurry; Stew’s Dream Sequence
    At the time of the fire, the mall only had 45% of the stores occupied with businesses. Upscale wasn’t selling well in this area that was seeing high unemployment, declining school enrollment and few, new housing start ups. Bank interest rates were high and interest payments could drive you into bankruptcy by swallowing up your cash flow.
    …The mall had closed for the day and cleaning crews were starting their night shift. On this night, a minority-owned cleaning company with a reputation for hiring “illegals” was in a sporting goods store that was located at mid-court. One of the cleaners, a Honduran, claims that, while he was using a highly flammable, spotting agent used to lift more difficult carpet stains, static electricity from the scrubbing machine ignited the vapors.

Episode #14 - Stars and Bars
    John (Cougar) VanDeCamp got his name from Indiana’s most famous son and rock star-John Cougar Mellencamp. Of course, Mellencamp dropped “Cougar” from his name on the advice of his manager at the time. But Jake was a classic rock freak, bordering on the obsessive and he like the obscure reference, so John VanDeCamp became Cougar to everyone.

…Cougar came to Grandview after college in 1999. He received his degree in public relations and also minored in public administration. Had he not gone into the fire service, Cougar would most likely have been some city’s administrator, probably for three times the salary that he earned as a firefighter. Cougar took his role as the PIO very seriously. Occasionally, a light moment would be observed and served with anecdotal humor and laughter, but Cougar also knew that he was responsible for the integrity of the information and for the positive, public image of the Grandview Fire Department. Chief Forrester was most appreciative in this regard!

Episode #15 will introduce us to Canadian-born firefighter Jessie (Montana) Blaisey; one of three women on the Grandview Fire Department.

Well; there you have it so far. I have started Episode #16. Jake is worried because Vinnie hasn’t shown up for his shift.
    Can't read 'em here. You can only read them over there!
    Stay tuned.
    Art
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Chief, "The Adventures" are completely awesome, can't wait for more!
    Formerly known as WFDjr1

These opinions are mine, not the opinions of my departments, my affiliates, or my local.

Permanently Removed

Default What about...

Jake and Vinnie visit the gay bar? What crazy antics does
    those two get into next?

MembersZone Subscriber

Episode #13-Fade to Blurry; Stew's Dream Sequence has been posted at IACOJ.
    Future episodes include:
    Episode #16 entitled ...A Poor Mountaineer; Barely Kept His Family Fed... In this episode, the boys discuss country cuisine.
    Episode #17 entitled Industrial Strength Insanity has Vinnie talking to the local firefighter brigade captain from Patriot Petroleum. Vinnie and Wild Bill Lundy discuss fire behavior and some of Wild Bill's big fires.
    You know where to go to get the latest on Jake and Vinnie.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Can fire buffs, like myself, subscribe to this, or is it just for actual firefighters? It sounds great! I love a great novel, and there are so few about firefighting.

MembersZone Subscriber

kent:
    Go to www.iacoj.com.
    If you can't access it as a guest, then apply for membership.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, there are currently 16 episodes of The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie posted at IACOJ.
    Here are excerpts from some upcoming episodes in the continuing saga of the boys from Grandview Fire Department:

Future episodes of The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie:

Episode #18-Some Assembly Required.
    Jake and the kids take their annual, two-week vacation together. The kids get to choose how it is spent. This year, it’s camping!
    Excerpt:
    Jake took the bag that contained the tent and dutifully dumped the contents onto the ground. As the rights of the heterosexual male played in his head, Jake refused to succumb to the directions provided with the tent and proceeded to attempt to assemble the tent without the benefit of the instructions included within the several pieces of the geodesic dome tent. Two hours later, the tent was up.

Episode #19-This Episode Is Going To Give You Goose Bumps!
    Jake, Joey and Sara enter their second day of camping, cold and bitter. Jake decides that they should go for a hike!
    Excerpt:
    He cuts three ‘walking’ sticks. ‘All the great ones have a walking stick. Frodo and that other little, bug-eyed boy had walking sticks’, Jake muses.
    ‘OK; here are the rules before we start:
    1) We stay together no matter what
    2) No one can take a number two until we get back to camp
    3) If we get chased by a bear, Rule #1 doesn’t apply. You’re on your own!' kids Jake.

Episode #20-What’s Radar Say?
    Meet the newest character introduced to the series.
    Excerpt:
    Reynaldo Raymond(Radar) Reynolds was an 18 year old youngster when he started catching fires...His department was known as a ‘hold down’ department. Equipped with an old Hollabird engine and a home-made, 1950 Chevy tanker, it was their job to ‘hold down’ the fire until a better equipped mutual aid company would arrive.

Episode #21-Slick Doesn’t Come In A Bottle.
    Jake finally gets to have that chat about the radio that screwed up at the South Division Street fire.
    Excerpt:
    Jake was sitting at his desk, basking in an after glow and Chief D comes in.
    ‘Did you get things figured out with the radio?’ he asks.
    ‘D; was there any doubt? He was crappin’ razor blades…Sumbitch never knew what hit him! Yeah; he had already heard about me…’ says a puffed up Jake.

Episode #22-MP3 Wasn’t A Star Wars Robot!
    Jake and Vinnie discuss musical tastes in this episode.
    Excerpt:
    ‘What is that crap?’ asks Jake.
    ‘Kid Rock’, replies Vinnie.
    ‘He that white, rap guy?’ Jake continues.
    ‘He sings, too, Jake!’ says Vinnie.
    ‘Nothin’ that I’d like’, says Jake.

Episode #23-Death Rides the Highway.
    The boys from Central Station respond to an MVA.
    Excerpt:
    The serenity of a beautiful, summer’s morning is shattered by the station’s PA speaker.
    ‘Attention, Central; you have a 10-50 with entrapment and injuries on the Highway 41 By-Pass, just east of the on-ramp. Officer is on-scene and says to expedite! Time out: 0835.’

Well, there you have a look of what’s to come.
    Or do you?
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 09-01-2004 at 02:18 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up Jake and Vinnie ..........you guys rock !

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL RIGHTTTTTTTTT !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a very special Christmas episode of The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie posted at IACOJ.
    Christmas with a twist.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Episode

Excerpt from The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie-Save the Tunnel Vision for the Tunnel-Episode #29:
    “Eddie’s in the basement. He’s not moving. I couldn’t get him to wake up”, Missy said.

“Call 9-1-1!” said Vinnie, as he started down the steps to the basement.

Vinnie found Eddie lying on his back, next to the furnace. He was blue, but he was still warm. Vinnie felt for a pulse and found none.

Fearing that Eddie may have gotten an electrical shock from the furnace, Vinnie pulled him back a couple of feet. Then he got over him, tilted his head back and blew air into his mouth. When he did, Vinnie got blood in his mouth! He immediately leaned back and spit.

What the hell? Vinnie thought to himself.

Did Eddie bite his tongue or something? he wondered.

Vinnie turned Eddie’s head to the side to clear his airway. That’s when he discovered the blood in Eddie’s right ear.
    Log on at IACOJ and read all 29 episodes!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Excerpt from A Taste...A Smell...A Memory-Episode #30 from The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie:
    It was late evening and Vinnie was busying himself around his house, but he kept thinking about Eddie and Missy. And the blood-the goddam blood-taste in his mouth. So far, he has brushed his teeth TWICE, rinsed with mouthwash, ate a whole tin of cinnamon Altoids and was on his fifth beer.

But the taste was still there! Or was it? Maybe Vinnie just thought that he could still taste it; that sickening, metallic and rotten taste of blood...

Vinnie knew it all too well. As a kid, he would get nosebleeds if someone even looked at his nose. And his dad would always make him tilt his head back and the blood would trickle down into his mouth and throat, gagging him to the point that he would convulse and throw up.

But this was worse! He was tasting someone else’s blood and not just any someone’s blood, but his friend’s blood. He couldn’t think about that or at least, he tried not to. He sat down in his Lazy Boy and closed his eyes.

The phone rang.
    Hard to believe that I have cranked out 30 episodes of the IACOJ's two favorite truckies.
    But as long as people keep reading them, I'll keep writing them.
    Catch all 30 episodes at www.iacoj.com.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Jake and Vinnie aficianadoes; there is a new episode posted at IACOJ.
    Episode #36 finds a fire at Hermie's Hardware in Grandview and Vinnie is rolling around on the ground with what might be a serial arsonist.
    Catch all 36 episodes.
    Brought to you by your friends at www.iacoj.com.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I am adding a character to "The Adventures of Jake and Vinnie" and I need your help.
    I am adding a fire department safety officer to the story lines, so if you are interested in morphing into a fictional character, then send me your profile, credentials and interesting stories to rockysroom@winco.net.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Thread Information