Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In-line pumping

Forum Member

Question In-line pumping

After hooking up the LDH supply line from the hydrant to the engine,
    the next thing you do is to ensure your tank is filled up. My question is, after filing up the tank, do you close your tank to pump valve? or leave it open? it has been a long debate at our company.

Forum Member

After you have a stable water supply and have topped off your tank, close the tank to pump and lower the throttle to compensate for the incoming hydrant pressure. I dont know of a reason to leave the tank to pump open unless you are going to be sitting for an extended length of time without flowing water.

we close ours, alot of times we are sitting on a dirt road or somewhere soft and we dont wnt to add more water thats not nessecary(sp) to create a sink pit hehehe...we have seen it donw several times with other companies, they usually leave the valve open a little for a " relief" option even though most pumps nowadays have relief valves...but anyway, they would be sitting in the yard somewheres for couple hours with water dumping out the tank overflow and then by the time they want to leave they realize there unit had sank several inches.

Forum Member

I guess it all depends on the amount of water your flowing. If there are only one or two handlines pulled, I'll crack open the tank fill and tank to pump just to ensure that the pump is being cooled sufficiently. If you watch your discharge gauges at your next job, you'll see them fluctuate as the attack crews open and close their nozzles. If by some chance all the lines are shut down at the same time, the pump is operating but not sending water anywhere. When water is heated to it's boiling point, it expands at a ratio of 1700 to 1. I've seen a neighboring company overheat their pump and believe me it wasn't a pretty sight. So although the extra water on the ground is an inconvenience, it may be better then having to have your pump repacked ot the imput shaft replaced. Just my 2 cents.

we have no standing order on this .........if my tank is full I usually leave it closed or as mentioned cracked open a titch, because soon you will have water coming out the top of the tank fill.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Leave it open

Our standards are to leave it open (close for drafting operations) but on a hydrant we leave it open, The Tank to pump (Tank Supply) has a check valve built into it. If for some reason your hydrant supply is interupted or reduced the pump will draw from the water tank.. In case of a blown supply line this can allow you to get your guys out out without an interruption of water supply.

Thread Information