Forum Member

Default Disgrutnled nutcase goes on ramage with amored bulldozer (A-Team Style)

Well this is the nutcase-of-the-month. This guy makes the nutcase who stole the tank on RealTV look like a saint. This guy watched too many episodes of the A-Team to make this thing.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121872,00.html

GRANBY, Colo. A muffler shop owner who plowed a makeshift armored bulldozer into several buildings after a dispute with city officials was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after a SWAT (search) team cut their way into the machine with a blowtorch early Saturday, authorities said.

Grand County Emergency Management Director Jim Holahan confirmed that the driver, identified by the town manager as Marvin Heemeyer, appeared to have shot himself.

Heemeyer plowed the armor-plated bulldozer into the town hall, a former mayor's home and at least five other buildings Friday before the machine ground to a halt in the wreckage of a warehouse.

City officials said he was angry over a zoning dispute and fines from city code violations at his business.

Authorities detonated three explosions and fired at least 200 rounds against the heavy steel plates welded to the bulldozer, which looked like an upside down Dumpster. After the third explosion failed, officials cut their way in with a blowtorch, Holahan said.

A statement from Grand County Undersheriff Glen Trainor said the driver was found around 2 a.m.

Holahan said Heemeyer was armed with a .50-caliber weapon but appeared to be deliberately avoiding injuring anyone during the rampage, which began Friday at about 3 p.m. No other injuries were reported.

Trainor said the dozer's armor plates consisted of two sheets of half-inch steel with a layer of concrete between them.

Grand County Commissioner Duane Daley said Heemeyer apparently used a video camera and two monitors found inside to guide the dozer. Two guns were mounted in front and aimed through portals. Other portals were cut in the back.

It was unclear how many guns were found with Heemeyer. Authorities speculated Heemeyer he may have used a homemade crane found in his garage to lower the armor hull over the dozer and himself.

"Once he tipped that lid shut, he knew he wasn't getting out," Daly said.

Investigators searched the garage where they believe Heemeyer built the vehicle and found cement, armor and steel.

Residents of this mountain tourist town of 2,200 described a bizarre scene as the bulldozer slowly crashed through buildings, trees and lampposts, with dozens of officers walking ahead or behind it, firing into the machine and shouting at townspeople to flee.

"It looked like a futuristic tank," said Rod Moore, who watched the dozer rumble past within 15 feet of his auto garage and towing company.

One officer, later identified as Trainor, was perched on top, firing shot after shot into the top and once dropping an explosive down the exhaust pipe.

"He just kept shooting," Moore said. "The dozer was still going. He threw what looked like a flash-bang down the exhaust. It didn't do a thing."

A flash-bang produces a blinding flash and earsplitting boom designed to stun a suspect.

"Gunfire was just ringing out everywhere," said Sandra Tucker, who saw the bulldozer begin the rampage from her office on Main Street. "It sounded to me like an automatic rifle, firing about every second."

At least 40 deputies, Colorado State Patrol officers, federal park and forest rangers and a SWAT team from nearby Jefferson County (search) were at the scene.

Town manager Tom Hale said Heemeyer was angry after losing a zoning dispute that allowed a cement plant to be built near his muffler shop. Heemeyer also was fined $2,500 in a separate case for not having a septic tank and for other city code violations at his business, Hale said.

When he paid the fine, he enclosed a note with his check saying "Cowards," Hale said.

"We felt he was venting his frustration that he didn't get his way," Hale said of the note. "We didn't think he was going to do something like this."

Trainor said he believes Heemeyer spent months armoring the bulldozer, and investigators were looking into whether he had help.

Hale said owners of all the buildings that were damaged had some connection to Heemeyer's disputes.

The buildings included the cement plant, a utility company, a bank, a newspaper office, a hardware store and warehouse, the home of former Mayor L.R. "Dick" Thompson and the municipal building, which also housed a library.

Crumpled patrol cars and service trucks lay in the dozer's path. A pickup was folded nearly in half and had been rammed through the wall of a building.

Gov. Bill Owens traveled Friday night to Granby, about 50 miles west of Denver and 10 miles south of Rocky Mountain National Park (search).

State aid will be available to help rebuild local government buildings, and state officials will help businesses seek federal help, said Mike Beasley, director of the state Department of Local Affairs.

William Hertel, owner of High Altitude Audio, said the bulldozer drove by his business at mid-afternoon, crushing aspen trees and light poles after the rampage began around 3 p.m.

"I was up on the roof when he came by. I got down and got my wife and kids out of the back of the building," Hertel said. He said he had heard numerous shots.

The scene was reminiscent of a 1998 rampage in Alma, another town in the Colorado Rockies. Authorities said Tom Leask shot a man to death, then used a town-owned front-end loader to heavily damage the town's post office, fire department, water department and town hall.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

HOLY CRAP!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

My father is my City's Zoning Inspector........I read about this on the front page of the local paper........I dont think we have any dozers in our town nor auto body shops ! YIKES !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

We have video

http://news4colorado.com/topstories/...156173524.html

Wonder if any police chiefs out there are writing homeland security grant apps for "TOW Missle" as we speak
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Question Hey Dal ...............

maybe we should get a bunch of them dozers >?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Wouldn't ya love to hear the tapes of the first 911 call to come in on this one?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well.....................

If all the air tankers hadn't been grounded, they could have called in a borate drop.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

.....BUMP.....

WHAT IN THE HE*L WAS THIS WACKO THINKING??

This guy had waaay too much time on his hands.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    .....BUMP.....

WHAT IN THE HE*L WAS THIS WACKO THINKING??

This guy had waaay too much time on his hands.
    Apparently, so do you.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Apparently, so do you.

Ouch, that hurts!

I was searching the forums for a topic, came across it and voila , bumped.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

A buddy of mine works for the EMS provider for Grandby... he wasn't on shift that day but some of his coworkers said it was the craziest thing they've ever seen.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

with dozens of officers walking ahead or behind it, firing into the machine and shouting at townspeople to flee.
    What kinda gets me, is that this thing is armoured, right? So why would you expend huge amounts of ammo shooting at something that short of an 84mm rocket IS NOT going to penetrate? About all you're gonna get is shrapnel flying everywhere, increasing collateral damage/injuries.

Apparently there were no (not reported) additional injuries, but still, all that lead flying around. What were they thinking?
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 03-22-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    What were they thinking?

they weren't.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Talking nerves

Sounds like the guys last nerve had been stepped on and he was just not going to take it anymore. Either that or his wife, if he was married, may have been nagging him. Sorry for that, take my wife; please. Maybe we should have put him to work on armoured vehicles for Iraq.I agree with the fact that the enforcement people were sure wasting their time shooting unless they needed the practice. Very inventive piece of machinery.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think BA, Murdoc, and the Face Man could have done a better job
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainS
    I think BA, Murdoc, and the Face Man could have done a better job
    Only cuz they would have found a better solution than suicide.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Yes, because on the A-Team, you would have put the gun in your mouth, pulled the trigger, and magically been thrown from the vehicle without a scratch!

Forum Member

Just imagine what damage a woman with PMS could do if she got a hold of one of those things ????

And by the way, none of this guy's neighbors noticed he was building a friggin' tank in the backyard ???

Forum Member

Wow Saturday, June 05, 2004 !

******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Still funny. I wonder how many cop cars or army jeeps went flipping through the air after hitting sand piles during the "chase".

And you're right Rick. Nothing a little Carl G action couldn't take care of.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    And by the way, none of this guy's neighbors noticed he was building a friggin' tank in the backyard ???
    But he was always such as nice, quiet man...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Wow Saturday, June 05, 2004 !

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Careful Josh,

I think he's got your name on those babies.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    Sounds like the guys last nerve had been stepped on and he was just not going to take it anymore. Either that or his wife, if he was married, may have been nagging him. Sorry for that, take my wife; please.
    OK, everyone is in bed at my house, I read this bit while drinking a Dr. Pepper and almost sprayed Dr. Pepper all over my computer screen when I read it!

Please don't tell my wife.....
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    OK, everyone is in bed at my house, I read this bit while drinking a Dr. Pepper and almost sprayed Dr. Pepper all over my computer screen when I read it!

Please don't tell my wife.....

*Calls Mrs Arhaney- Mam don't be alarmed, that sticky stuff on the computer screen is just Dr. Pepper *
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Thread Information