MembersZone Subscriber

Question Hiring Veterans?

Hello, my name is Rob Ehrhart. I am presently serving in the US Navy. I have a combination 13 years in the Fire/EMS service. Half of which is aboard ship, the other half was as a volunteer in Michigan. My question are what are the odds of a Full Time Department hiring a veteran. I have FFI and FFII from the State of Michigan and my NREMT-B. I am also an AHA BLS-C instructor. Are there some departments more prone that others to hire veterans? If anyone has any information that would help, it would be greatly appreciated! I can be reached via this page, or at eng2911@yahoo.com Thank you for your help!

Forum Member

Default Veterans Points

Some departments give veterans points, usually 5 points, towards your total score.

Like many other candidates with great credentials, it is still up to you to be able to present the package. If you can't present the package you don't get the job even with the additional points.

I recently talked with with a navy seal medic who could not pass an oral board high enough (the oral board is usually 100% of your score to get hired) to get a shot at the badge. He had the credentials but did not have the presentation skills in place to deliver the package.

As Steve Prziborowski, Fire Captain - wrote:

Do what you have to do be more marketable so you can take more tests and have something more to offer a department, but remember that it all comes down to that 15 to 30 minute oral interview. I've seen some awesome candidates with resumes packed full of accomplishments that couldn't sell them self in an interview to even make the top 50%.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

From my experience, most municipal departments offer 5/10 points to veterans either on the test or on your total score. I definately helps out, but it definately not the golden nugget. Since you mentioned that you have some navy time, have you considered going over to the civilian navy side? The federal government is very friendly to veterans, sometime to the point that it bypasses some of the requirements for the job. The GS system does have a few sticking points. 1- You can be older then 37 when you enter. And they dont subtract your active duty time from your age to meet the requirement. So If you retire at 38 (18 + 20 years), your already past the mark. SOmething just to keep in mind. Also, Federal firefighters work probably one of the toughest schedules in the country at 24 hours on/24 hours off. Like any job, there are good and bad points. Either way, if there are any Federal bases near you, you might want to consider looking into that as an option. Hope this is at least a little helpful.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default sites

hey man thhere is a site you might want to try called dodfirejobs.com. The hprefer to hire formere military personal. Thhat is te best i can do they also have many listings.

Thread Information