Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: June 6, 1944

Default June 6, 1944

Today is the anniversary of D-Day. It was the start of the Liberation of Europe.Just thought you should know...

"This is D-Day,' the BBC announced at 12 o'clock. 'This is the day.' The invasion has begun!... Is this really the beginning of the long-awaited liberation? The liberation we've all talked so much about, which still seems too good, too much of a fairy tale ever to come true?... the best part of the invasion is that I have the feeling that friends are on the way. Those terrible Germans have oppressed and threatened us for so long that the thought of friends and salvation means everything to us!" -- Anne Frank, diary entry, June 6, 1944
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 06-06-2004 at 09:08 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Default A DEBT OF GRATITUDE

This is a little something I looked up. God Bless the brave souls of the men that landed on Omaha Beach. And a hearty thanks to those who survived. Omaha Beach 6-6-44
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

We can never repay the debt we owe to our WW2 veterans, who went to war as boys and came back as men. If you know a veteran, tell them thank you!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Speaking of the D-Day landings it was said, "Uncommon valor was a common virtue."

Unfortunately, I forget who said it, but it certainly seems just as accurate today as it did 60 years ago.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by Steamer
    Speaking of the D-Day landings it was said, "Uncommon valor was a common virtue."

Unfortunately, I forget who said it, but it certainly seems just as accurate today as it did 60 years ago.
    Amen to that one Brother. Canada is celebrating Armed Forces Day today, where all the bases are open to the public for demonstrations, exhibitions etc, even the base FD will be out showing their stuff.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue"

"Refers to the victories in World War II, especially at Iwo Jima, the largest all-Marine battle in history. Admiral Nimitz's ringing epitome of Marine fighting on Iwo Jima was applied to the entire Marine Corps in World War II."
    Last edited by superchef; 06-06-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

"Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue"
    "Refers to the victories in World War II, especially at Iwo Jima, the largest all-Marine battle in history.
    Ooops! Right war; wrong Theater.
    Just as true in Europe though. Thanks cheffie!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Already the sea runs red.

God Bless that day and the men who stormed Omaha Beach, whether they came out scathed or not.

I know a Vietnam Vet., a Korean Vet., a Dessert Storm Vet., but unfortunatly not a WWII Vet..

So to get it out here:

THANK YOU!
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

I woke up today expecting to see some coverage of the ceremonies. I was very disappointed to find only an hour on MSNBC. I couldn't take the droning continuous commentary of the announcer. Luckily I found CBC covering the ceremony all morning. Very little commentary and coverage of all the nations represented. Excellent job CBC. Thank you to all those veterans that sacrificed so much, especially those that never returned.

MembersZone Subscriber

Steve
    No matter what the theatre, we continue to see "umcommon valor as a common virtue" Whether 60 years ago, 3 years ago or now in Iraq.

Thank you to all who have sacrificed for our country.

Default D Day

As a small boy living in the South of England-and very near a "feeder" route to the assembly point beaches--my memories are of all manner of non-stop convoys of troops ,trucks,tanks etc.
    Us kids would line the side of the road waving frantically in the hope that the guys would throw something lollies/chocolate/ciggies tins of field rations--we were at war and everything was in short supply--we would take our "loot" home to Mum (some of the chocolate never made it that far)

My thanks for those brave men of all nationalities who gave the supreme sacrifice so that we might have Freedom
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I had to work yesterday, but part of my day was to sit somewhere and wait to be paged. So I took a drive around town. I too was very disappointed by the lack of radio coverage yesterday. As I rounded the street near the Parliment Buildings, I came across cops and a barrier - thats when I realized that they actually had parade happening at the Parlimentary Cennitaph, which pleased me greatly other than the fact that I never heard anything about it through official channels on the Base. #2 Disappointment. There was a fly-by from an Aurora a/c (read P3 Orion for you "Southern" neighbours) and a Tiger Moth, which was kuul to see.

As it turned out I needed to get across the Inner Harbour, and the street I needed to turn down to meet the bridge was also blocked by barriers and cops, about 4 blocks from the Parliment Buildings. Why? Because somebody else decided that "Today is a good day" for a demonstration and protest on something. Once again, this was not advertised on the radio either. I dont know exactly what it was they were protesting against but I got bits and pieces from someone using a loudspeaker as I deeked around trying to find a connector road to the bridge.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

One of the most endearing pictures of war and sacrifice I have ever seen is a really short snippet of the invasion. WE have probably all seen it a million times but it always hits me hard.

The footage shows a grunt, loaded down with a pack and with a hunched back (any of us who have served in the ground forces of the military knows exactly what htis poor soul was experiencing with an 80 pound pack on his back). He is running up the beach past an iron barrier and he suddenly jerks upwarda bit and falls in a clump on the beach.

For me it just shows the ultimate sacrifice. It is not like watching the history channel and seeing dead bodies in the ocean after an invasion. You actually watch this gentleman's last minute of his life. He's a few thousand miles away from home, taking part in one of the largest invasions in history, to free the world from a tyrannical scourge of oppression in order to liberate an entire continent and millions upon millions of people. The ultimate sacrifice. I know it is but one soldier of thousands lost, but it is perhaps the only time you see this in any piece of war footage and I still sit humbled by it 60 years after it happened. The ultimate sacrifice by country, by a community, by a family,......by a soldier for the world's freedom. It is beacuse of men and women like this 60 years ago, bfore this, and since then, that we are free citizens today.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Exclamation

As we remembered yesterday, June 6, 1944, I also remembered the passing of Ronald Reagan a great man and president.

My family goes back to all the major wars. My father was in World War 1, my oldest Brother was in World War 2, my next brother was in the Korean War, I was in Vietman, and my niece was a flight medic in Dessert Storm.

Between all of us we have more medals than kerry could ever have or could ever make up.

We all served proudly and would all do it again. My Father and older Brother have went to Heaven and the rest of will some day, since we all have served of time in Hell. God will take us all in, even though he doesn't like Marines, as we always kept Heaven full with fresh souls.

There was a lot of firefighters that has served in all the wars and still are. Some lost their lives defending us from evil people.

Take care and always remember a Vereran every day.

Thumbs up

Amen Brother.

Thread Information