Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool glasses at calls???

I know this sounds liek a stupid post but i have a quick question. I usually wear contacts during the day, but as i am a volunteer on pager we respond all hours of the day. my contacts are out during the night and early morning and i wear glasses to calls. the problem is, when it comes time to put on an SCBA facie piece i dont know what to do with my glasses. I dont want to go in and crawl around and loose them or break them so i can see after i get out and if i leave them in the truck, they could dissapear, break or get moved. does anyone have any solutions or suggestions as fellow glass wearers.

thanks

i will usually take the 30 seconds to put my contacts in before i go down for a call. even at 2am. i also carry a hard case in my bunker pants in case I don't have my contacts in. in the even that i do need to mask up, i put the glasses in the case, and either leave them in my bunker pants, or put them out of the way somewhere in the truck.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default Put them where they WON'T get broken!

I have never had a problem leaving them in the truck- just put them where they won't be bothered, like up on the dashboard, under a seat, or maybe in the pump operator's radio compartment? I have worn glasses all my life. I have never had a problem with them dissappearing from the truck- in fact, when in rehab, I have even had brother firefighters hand them to me- everyone knows I am blind as a bat without them!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

as a long time glasses wearer..............before getting LASIC (sp) a year and a half ago. What I sued to do was get teh skinniest frame available for my RX and then go test it with an SCBA on. I used those frames up until I had surgery.........it can be done .......also do a search for this as well for more answers.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I carry a hard glass case on the dash of my truck.
    If I remember to pick it up when I go on a run, I will put my glasses in it and just set it in the SCBA compartment when I put on the tank. I can also put it in my bunkers with little fear of breaking my glasses. If I forget the glass case, I usually set my glasses on the dash of the truck I'm on and let the driver know they are there.
    I also have my own mask with a prescription glasses insert in it.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to hang mine on the accountability tags ring in the cab.

Now thanks to Lasik surgery, I don't have to worry about it anymore

(Best money you could ever spend brothers and sisters!)
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

I wear glasses exclusively. In the radio pocket of my gear, I carry a hard case for my glasses. Whenever I pack up, I place my glasses in the case and put my it back in my pocket. This is so if I am in rehab or not in the building, I can see what is going on. If I have time, I also place my glass on the dash board of the apparatus.

You can probably get a hard case at your optician's for a nomial price. I think mine cost $5.00.

Hope this helps

Forum Member

I actually work at a pearle vision so I have a good perspective on the whole thing. I'm going to be getting focus night and day contacts as soon as I can get in with our ever busy doctor. So when I bunk in or whenver I'll already have them in. But as of right now I take the 30 seconds to put them in and go. If its really that big a deal I'll make one of the trucks. My eyes are bad enough (-3.50) that if I were to respond without my contacts I couldn't drive, and if I were to have lag time between taking my glasses off and such I'd be SOL. My dad on the other hand has really bad eyes (-10.00) so he has a frame/lens designed just for the scott mask that he has in his mask. So when he scotts up he can go right from glasses to glasses. Its a pretty good deal.

I'd recommend if you can't afford the lasic or really don't need it like I you get the extended wear contacts or just take the time to put on the contacts. If you are just a glasses wearer you get a specially made set for your mask.

-cs
    Bucks County, PA.

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

I wear glasses now, but when I pack up I can't wear them. I usually just toss them into my gear bag and don't worry about them.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Re: Put them where they WON'T get broken!

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    I have never had a problem leaving them in the truck- just put them where they won't be bothered, like up on the dashboard, under a seat, or maybe in the pump operator's radio compartment? I have worn glasses all my life. I have never had a problem with them dissappearing from the truck- in fact, when in rehab, I have even had brother firefighters hand them to me- everyone knows I am blind as a bat without them!
    Amen there, Brother. I do the same thing. Usually just leave them in the cabinet that I got the pack from, or on the step-up plate that is just above the drivers side fire extinguisher. But mostly in the cabinet.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

We have 2 guys that wear glasses. We bought larger sizes SCBA mask to handle their glasses when they wear them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't wear them myself, but most of our guys have hard cases that they keep in their gear.

Something else our Department did was buy the mask friendly frames for all people who wanted them. At first, it was up to the fire fighter to get the lenses, but we are now providing them too.

I don't have the company name or web site on me right now, but I will look around for it. They aren't much to look at, but work well with the mask and can be used whether you are wearing the mask or not. I think the frames were somewhere in the $40-60 range and work will all mask types.

Most of our guys opted for them and use them every time we are on a call.

On a related note.. Quite a few dept's in Missouri belong to the Fire Fighters Association of Missouri (FFAM). They offer many benefits, but the one that comes to mind for this thread is the replacement of eye glasses when damaged on calls. Due to the various prices of glasses, they actually give you the first $250 towards the replacement.
    I don't think they allow out of state members, but it may be someting to look into for your own state. It seems like a pretty good deal to me. Their website is www.ffam.org
    ftm-ptb
    leather forever
    gateway fools

MembersZone Subscriber

I keep a hard case in the rig and when we get a call where an SCBA is necessary, i put on my other glasses which are made specially for firefighters hby Altek Specs. These things are great. they only cost about $85 and fit right underneather your facepiece. it also comes with a bracket to mount them in your mask. now, i usually just where them around my head and have not had a seal problem yet. their website is www.altekspecs.com. I first saw them at FDIC and they are dang useful.

We made Glasses Pockets in all our rigs in the Crew Areas, 1/2" plywood box about 3"x 6" x 8" Felt lined and the exterior is vinyl covered to match the trucks. and attach em to the walls. 2 in each unit. Jump in an toss you glasses into em. Works Great.

My Asst. Chief has a specially made SCBA mask that allows him to put a prescription pair of glasses into his mask. There is no ear pieces, it just snap in. I shouldn't really say "specially made SCBA mask" its more of an insert that pops right in over the nose cup. I know scott has those and i believe MSA.

Forum Member

Been wearin' glasses since I was 9. - In both Sets of gear {Volunteer and Career Stations} I carry a Hard-Eye Glass Case which is also padded. - Just before going inside at a fire I put the glasses into the case and put them back into my radio pocket. - Been working for 17 years - On occasion I'll forget to use the case or just take the glasses off and put them with my accountibility tag on the hook but that's rare.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Huh?...............

I wear my glasses (Lexan Transitions) all the time, and I haven't had any problems. I just pull my facepiece on like everyone else, and go get it. No Seal problems or anything.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

since im not an officer i can't exctally put them on the front dash, and when packing up, its diffucult to just put the glasses down because of the way the drivers drive. they'd slide everywhere. since i usally know when im going to a fire, i'll just throw them in the box of latex gloves if its not jam pakced. usally its not, but if it is, i'll stick them in a latex glove and hang them from the radio hedset hook or something of that sort.

Default NO NO NO NO!

For all you guys who have said that you wear your glasses while wearing SCBA masks (with no problems with the seal.....) THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, AND SHOULD DISCONTINUE IMMEDIATELY!

As an Industrial Safety Technician, and an OSHA-Approved Construction Site Safety Inspector, I can tell you what would happen if someone on one of my sites were to utilize this practice while wearing a full-facepiece respirator- I would immediately dismiss them from my site. This is SO dangerous I had to read several posts on this thread over again in order to comprehend what was being said.

Should a worker, or a contractor on any of my sites injure their respiratory system due to an inhalation hazard, if the investigation produced evidence that they were wearing glasses through the face seal, I myself would reccomend to OSHA and Workmans Comp that their on-the-job injury claims be DENIED. Our guys have it drilled into their heads NOTHING CAN PENETRATE THE FACE SEAL, AS PER OSHA AND THE MANUFACTURER OF THE DEVICE. THERE IS NO, I REPEAT NO, manufacturer of any respiratory device that allows this practice. These same claims can be denied to volunteer firefighters as well! DONT THINK THAT IT CANT HAPPEN TO YOU!

Not that many volunteer companies even have this knowledge, (not bashing anyone.....) but did you know that:
    -All fire departments that utilize SCBA must have a written respiratory protection plan in place. This plan will have (but not limited to) training procedures and qualification testing methods, records for fit testing, records for maintenance and repairs of all devices, records of air quality tests if the department maintains a compressor, OR photocopys of records of the air sources.....blah blah blah

-All members MUST be fit-tested every 6 months

-Must provide the frame-inserts AND lenses, specific to the model and brand of SCBA worn by that department.

I will stop now, this is boring stuff. Bottom line.....DONT WEAR YOUR GLASSES WITH A MASK! YOU CAN DIE, AND YOUR FAMILY WILL BE DENIED THE BENEFITS DUE YOU!!!! SCBA Inserts are NOT expensive! Your department MUST provide them to you! If they cant, Buy them yourself! AND ONE OTHER THING: THE MILITARY-STYLE "RUBBER STRAP" Glasses that many people claim to wear and love with SCBA ARE NOT ALLOWED! Repeat after me: "NOTHING CAN PENETRATE THE FACE SEAL."

(off my soapbox.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to have the same exact problem, I finally got sick of having to wear glasses on calls when I didnt have my contacts in so I ended up getting Focus Night and Day contacts and I am very happy, it is so nice being able to go on calls in the middle of the night without having to worry about putting my contacts in or wearing my glass's b/c they just got in the way of everything if I was wearing my face peice or not. Go with night and day contacts you wont regret it.

Thread Information