Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hire to train

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

Default hire to train

does anyone know of any departments in the Tampa/St. pete Bradenton area that will hire to train instead of already trained?. my wife is transfering to the area and i need to find a job, i am Ohio 240 FFII, Paramedic, and all the jobs i see posted you have to already have to have Fla FFI at the very least and there is no challenging the test so i have already resigned myself to having to go to school again. I just want some info on some dept. that might help me out. any information is appreciated.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

The Bradenton area fire departments are smaller departments in nature and might be willing to bend the rules since you have experience. I can't say for certain though.

You can look up the West Manatee's FD (the county Bradenton is in) web site at www.wmfr.org. Check out the employment section. I've seen ads for other departments on there as well.

As for Tampa/St Pete area I can't help.

Chimp
    Sarasota, FL

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

thanks chimpie, i have investigated WMFR and SMFR and Bradenton and North River, basically all the dept. in Manatee County, they require fla ff1 at least, WMFR will train vollies, i just wish i could test out!!! i am going t apply at Manatee County EMS I am trying to schedule the cert. test for july .....wish me luck,

Dan
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Forum Member

You might want to try DOD, they are not required to follow the state rules and I know that they hire to train, but most work 24/24. I am sure someone can tell you more.

Question info

Originally posted by kjohn23
    You might want to try DOD, they are not required to follow the state rules and I know that they hire to train, but most work 24/24. I am sure someone can tell you more.

kjohn23 hey what is the DOD ive been trying to find info about fire departments also

Forum Member

Military bases in certian areas use civilian firefighters hired through the Department of Defense. Pensacola Naval Air Station, Whiting Field near Milton, are two that I know of. I think Jacksonville NAS, and Patrick Air Force Base might also use civilians.Once hired you have the ability to transfer to any other base if there is an opening.Good luck

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

The DoD (Department of Defense) has jurisdiction over some non-military facilities as well, so don't limit your search to just military installations. The Veterans Administration Medical Center facility near me has their own FD, and they are under DoD oversight for training. That's generally anything that carries IFSAC certification. If you took your fire training at the Ohio Fire Academy, you should be able to get the IFSAC cert through them.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

This may help you out some...Also, if you can get DOD certified you can challenge the state test...

http://www.floridafirejobs.org/faqs/home.cfm

Florida rarely accepts fire certifications from other states. It is likely that you would have to attend a Florida Fire Academy in order to qualify to take the State test. Many agencies are willing to hire trained people from another state (especially Paramedics) and then pay their tuition to fire school. To find out if your qualifications will transfer, contact the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training

Florida State Fire College
    11655 North West Gainesville Road
    Ocala, Florida 34482-1486
    (352) 369-2800
    www.fsfc.ufl.edu

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe I can offer some help here!

Let me start off with this first. All DoD departments do hire to train, but times have changed so the past-practice of doing this is going out the door really quick.

In this great state of Florida, if you work outside the fence line and have your Florida Standards + Airport Firefighter and converted this to DoD, this would get you DoD Firefighter II. This will get you in the front door as a GS-5 Firefighter but only if the bace was hireing. Now if you only have the min standards without Airport FF then you would rate either GS-3 to GS-4. Now if you fall into the GS 3 to 4 range you have 1 year from the date you came aboard to get your certs.

Please don't think because its a DoD fire dept that there ill trained. Some of the stuff the fire colleges get come from the Air Force DoD cert files. Florida Fire Academy's offer some intense training and some outstanding personnel come out of their schools, but the same could be said for the DoD Fire Academy's.

If I had to recommend joing the DoD fire service, I would have to recommend not doing so right now, based on the current down sizing and cut backs. The Gov is cutting back on everything, and right now we are under a hiring freeze. I wish you good luck and hope for the best.

MembersZone Subscriber

But you can challenge the FL Test if you are already DoD certified FF II and Airport FF right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes you can I believe, but you need a few other florida certs to be able to challenge or convert your DoD to FL. Im not sure as to which other ones you will need.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by captjab
    Yes you can I believe, but you need a few other florida certs to be able to challenge or convert your DoD to FL. Im not sure as to which other ones you will need.
    Ok, thanks for the info...I'll look a little further into this. BTW, I'm from Pensacola (currently in this desert they call Texas...lol) Where in Santa Rosa are you?

Having gone through this process, I can shed some light. IF you can document the same hours for Firefighter I & II (Minimum standards) in Florida you can challenge the test. You have to show them that your documented training matches the subject matter and hours exactly. This means you have to provide course descriptions and syllabus for each class. If you can manage that they will let you challenge the written and practical.

ProBoard Certs or DOD certs do not mean ANYTHING to Florida. You can show them you National ProBoard Cert for Firefighter II and they will say: "That's nice!" But they will not let you in on just that. However, if you take the class and pass or pass the challenge test they will issue you a Florida Certificate and an application to get the same ProBoard Cert that you already have!

I know..... I came to Florida with 30 years experience in the Fire Service. I was certified by the ProBoard and Virginia as Fire Officer III, Instructor III, Driver, Inspector, etc,. Volunteer Experience (28 yrs...some of which was at Chief level) and 21.5 years career experience (retired as Captain). And I was an instructor for Virginia Fire Programs. My request for challenge generated a response of: "Not enough experience, education and training to challenge FirefighterII!" Took me almost 10 months to get that cert through challenge process. Lots of letters. That was in 2001. Still trying to gain access to challenging Officer I and Inspector I. Just recently received ok to challenge Instructor I.

I heard that at one time Orange COunty Fire and Rescue was hiring 3 different levels of people. One of those levels was "no florida certs." They send you through minimum standards and emt at their academy. Not sure if that is still available.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Originally posted by captstanm1

I heard that at one time Orange COunty Fire and Rescue was hiring 3 different levels of people. One of those levels was "no florida certs." They send you through minimum standards and emt at their academy. Not sure if that is still available.
    Orlando FD was hiring people w/ no certs and expreience. They started up their own Fire Academy. Now.......I had heard since that they have shut it down. But.....I'm not totally sure. Other than that I know of no City or County FD that will hire you w/o the minimum or FF/EMT. Good Luck........

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently living in Orlando/Orange County. I am currently in the middle of FFII at the Central Florida Fire Academy. I believe that Orange County just recently closed there testing to get into their Non-Cert program. This is the second one i believe i have heard of this year. I didnt even bother testing for the program because of how selective they are, though a few of my classmates did. I have heard that they are hiring quite a few people this year though so hopefully i will have a good opportunity to get a job with them even without being in their Non-Cert Program.

Thread Information