Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter430's Avatar

Default Drafting with Hard Suction

Drafting with Hard Suction

Last night we had drill and we drafted from a dry-hydrant using 6Ē PVC lightweight hard suction. When I went through a class years ago the instructor told us to put a bend in the suction hose and not to try to line the intake with the hydrant. He said it would help get a draft sooner but I donít remember why. Last night the question was asked and I told the member I would get back to them with a more detailed explanation so I pose the question to the forum. Does it help? If so why? I have done it that way since that class but if there is a simpler or better way Iím all for it so any help would be appreciated.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

I haven't heard of this, unless he means that it is not worth the time to try to line your truck up precisely with the hydrant. We draft out of pools all the time.

ALthough we dont draft, I heard the opposite is true..........you need to have your inlet lined up with water supply coupling unless you are doing as sleuth says and having to "draft" up hill.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

The reason for the bends is to make hooking up easeier. The bends let the hose flex and make up for the lenght of the threaded conections.

Forum Member

We draft quite regularly. There are a couple of things that will get you. 1)Sucking air (loose connection) and having your hose get higher than your intake. (over a guard rail or something)

Like bendone said, it is only about setting up quickly otherwise the hard suctions would be pipes not flexible hoses.

I take it that you are talking about a "dry" hydrant as PVC suction and pressurized hydrants don't get along well(the hose ruptures).As others say the bends allow easier hookup.T.C.

Thread Information