Forum Member

Default If Your From Maine Check In Here

Hey just trying to get an idea of how many people on this site are from maine, If your from Maine just drop a few words about your Department.
    Last edited by Firefighter164; 06-11-2004 at 02:34 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here....

36 member POC department, 2 engines, 1 Quint, 1 tanker, 1 Pickup, 1 Jeep, 1 car, boat.

320 or so calls, no EMS (thank god)

Me? 8 Years currently a pee-on driver/firefighter and like it that way!

anything else?

-Nick

We have about 30 or so members. 7 are full timers and the rest of us are call men. We have 1 Engine, 1 Quint, 1 Tanker, 1 Rescue, 1 Rescue Boat, and 2 Seadoos. Our dept. responded to about 1100 calls last year. About 800 or so were EMS calls. I am currently working towards my FF1 cert. I'm also planning on taking EMT classes this fall.

Jeff

Default Madison fire

Been with mfd for 1 yr now - going to transfer to farmington - have fun with your mods juniors

MembersZone Subscriber

Good idea for a thread, gotta get more people up here reading it.
    Full time for Sanford Fire since '82 as a Paramedic/Firefighter.

Sanford FD;
    40 career FF's and Medics both crosstrained
    one Chief
    one AC
    three staff capts in training, prevention, and inspection.
    Three stations,
    Central with 10 people, two Ambulances, one engine, one ladder, one brush/structural engine, one Squad, 3 staff vehs, one fire alarm maint truck.

Two district Stations, one in Springvale village and one located on the airport but no crash trucks. Each dist station has Lt and FF with an engine and a forestry in each with the reserve ladder at the airport.

We did about 2400 EMS runs and about 700 fire runs. District stations provide medical first response and in central, the engine goes with the rescue (amb) on any ALS sounding call. It works pretty good all and all. Good support for EMS but white shirts. We do have a call force paid a stipend who do fire only. Their manning is way down now with fewer than 20 still on the roster.

We provide quite a bit of ALS backup to the surrounding small towns.

FWIW, I also am the asst rescue chief in Alfred and do perdiem coverage on the side there and I also do a shift a week as a medic for the town of Wells

We are now establishing a Tactical EMS unit to respond with the joint Sanford PD/York SO special response teams.
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

Forum Member

Yeah it would be great if more people would respond. Almost 200 people have looked at it, majority probably being from Maine...

Disillusioned Subscriber

posted by leylandauto: FWIW, I also am the asst rescue chief in Alfred and do perdiem coverage on the side there and I also do a shift a week as a medic for the town of Wells.
    I don't live there (so I know I'm considered as being "from away" ), but I'm in Alfred every year to recertify my arson dog. I've been there every year since 2000 when I spent a month living at Notre Dame for the initial course. I always go back to Alfred to recert because I simply like it so well. I've been seriously considering retiring there, if I last long enough to see retirement. Several of us always end up at Mulligan's Pub in Biddeford for a pint or two at some point during the course. It's entirely for medicinal purposes for the aches and pains from working with the dogs all day.

Maybe I can catch ya next time through.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Going to a bar in Biddeford?!? Geez, I can get you better than that. You need to go to Federal Jack's Brewpub in Kennebunk. It is one of the great secrets in this little town. So few people know that goes on in town all the time. Where are you from? Let me know when you are back. There is good beer in Sanford too ;-)

Disillusioned Subscriber

I'm from Chillicothe, Ohio. It's about half way between Columbus and the Ohio River. I should be up that way again around the last week in July, but I might be making another trip around April to help train the next class, with any luck. Details on that are sketchy right now.

I spent evenings surveying the local establishment this year. Sanford, Wells, Kennebunk, Biddeford...it's all good. I was there when they had the bridge problem on Route 35(I think) into Kennebunk, so I didn't get there much. They closed it the day after I got in town. When plans firm-up about next year's visit, I'll let ya know.
    Last edited by Steamer; 10-10-2004 at 10:45 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks to all the voters (well, a majority of them) for voting Palesky down. All of us still have jobs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Maine

I started in the Fire service in Maine. At the young age of 16 I was a junior Firefighter moved up to senior and stayed with the Buxton Fire Rescue till arounf 20 or so. That becuase my college started preventing me coming home. I just finished a BS degree in Fire and Safety Engineering Technology with an option of Fire Protection Admin at Eastern Kentucky University. If a job comes up at home I will probadly come back.

DM

I am a paid call volunteer member for Caribou Fire and Ambulance. I have been with them since August 2003. We have 1 ladder truck, 2 pumpers, 1 jaws, 1 antique (show), 4 ambulances and 1 rescue. Our dept is a EMT/Firehouse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Isn't Caribou part of Canada?? :-)
    Seriously, My son went to the Job Corps center at Loring and I stopped in a couple of times to say at your station. I never did see the basement. I have always said If I had to drive six hours in any one direction, it would be in your direction. My son wants to move back there as he liked the people so much (and he could afford to buy a house up there).

Well close enough, Caribou actually holds the title for the most northeastern city in the USA.
    Ya, unfortunetly Loring is nothing today like it was. The Base really went downstream when they closed back in 1994.
    If your ever back in the area, stop in. I travel alot too and I think Caribou - south I-95 is a long, boring route to travel. But I guess I see it your way because I travel this route all the time. Do you guys have much snow down there? We just lost a bunch in last week's rain. I have 170 miles on my sled, but would like for that to accumulate. We need some snow up here for our one and only attraction, out of state snowmobilers.
    Last edited by Indy800Racer; 01-02-2005 at 05:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Eliot

Eliot,

45 POC members 1 Chief, Asst. Chief, Dep Chief, 5 Lt's
    3 Engine's, 1 Tanker, 2 utility vehicles.
    130 caller per year

MembersZone Subscriber

Indy, I like the trip up there because the other choice for six hours is south and that means NYC and that is a trip I loath to take. Once you are north on 95 to Houlton you kinda just set the cruise at 90, crack a diet pepsi for the caffeine and I am good to go :-)
    Heading home you get to have have Katahdin in your crosshairs for a while, nice view.

Default Hi from Maine

I love being here. I have worked for several departments and Government agencies in several states over the years and have loved every minute of it. I'm back now and will probably be here for a long time. This is the greatest state. I have started a site for the emergency response people of Maine. Look it over.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maine-Fire-Ems-Alert/

MembersZone Subscriber

So where ya from and where are ya now? Welcome to back to Maine!

Default Where

I started out in Red Beach, went to Calais, then went to work for the FMO. Joined a couple of departments in York county then moved to Vermont. Joined a couple of departments out there and worked for FEMA for a while. Moved back and now in Brewer area.

We have every right to dream heroic dreams. Those who say we're in a time when there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look.
    This is my site http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ire-Ems-Alert/

MembersZone Subscriber

I joined the Yahoo group as soon as I found out about yesterday :-)
    I am also on the Maine Paramedic group.

Forum Member

leylandauto, I think I know you already. I run with a small private fire company with 16 members, 1 pumper, and 1 tanker pumper. 1 chief, and I hope someone relieves me soon, 1 ac and 2 capt.

indyracer, I know a fire fighter on Caribou who likes to ride sled, but I saw him on a new Fusion last winter. Millenium rider.

Anyways, it is good to see people from Maine on here. Hello to all of you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Would that be the FD that has the most modern/newest fleet in the state ? :-)

I am located at the other end of the Gore.

Busy with the start of the Roadster season.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also have a Sable with a leaky heater core :-)

Forum Member

It is the newest and most modern fleet we ever had. LOL We actually got them to fit in the station now. And yes, we can take care of the heater core too.

Thread Information