Default Illinois FF to visit NYC needs advise

Hello New York,
    Myself and my two teenage sons are planning a vacation to New York City this summer. We will be driving from Southern Illinois (near St Louis).

We would like to see Ground Zero and visit a firehouse. We will also visit some of the other popular tourist sites. We will probably be in the city for only three days.

I would like some advise from some NYC locals...
    Idea's for hotels that would be resonable cost and safe area.
    What firehouse's should we visit?
    Idea's for other activities?

You can respond in the forums or by email
    smurphy_sfpd AT hotmail.com

Thanks for any help
    Steve Murphy
    Salem Fire Protection District
    Salem IL
    www.salemfire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

You should go to Engine/Ladder 10 it is right at ground zero and i think they just reopened a little while ago. You can also try i think Ladder 4/Engine 54 (I may have messed those up) in time square the on duty-crew there was very friendly when I was down there 2 years ago taking the last FF test.

Steve

May seem strange getting a recommendation from a guy in Scotland! I'm ex Scottish Ambulance Service (15yrs} who visited NY early 2002. I was given a very friendly welcome by Engine 54, just off Times Square. They even took time out for a photo. I never really thanked them properly, so I do that now. I left my old cap badge with them good home for it I reckon. As a stranger to NY with less than 24 hours to spare, my wife and I found the bus tour from Times Square excellent. Seen most of the sites and ended up with cracking photos that I couldn't have got any other way.

You and your boys have a great time in NY, we loved it and the people are wonderful just like Glaswegians : )

Bob.

Thread Information