Default Shifts Hours - What is best??

I am trying to find out from Departments what the shifts are(10/14, 24/12/12) and whether you think it is the best shift or if there is another shift that would be more beneficial?

Forum Member

You cant beat 24/72
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Just North of South Central But way the hell out there

Thumbs up

I prefer my 48/96.

Forum Member

I work two 10hr days, two 14hr nights, four days off. I love it. A 24hr shift at my station could be a real nightmare. Last year we did 6700 calls out of my station alone. There were a couple times we did 34 calls in a 10 hour day. The night shift came on and had a similar night. I couldn't imagine doing 65-70 calls in one shift.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

MembersZone Subscriber

Washington D.C. has some of the busiest rigs in North America and they have a 24. We are going to test the 24 for a year in one district. It seems that the commuters want it but the guys who live in the city don't.
    Last edited by Scoop422; 06-17-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by Scoop422
    Washington D.C. has some of the busiest rigs in North America and they have a 24. We are going to test the 24 for a year in one district. It seems that the commuters want it but the guys who live in the city don't.

HUH??????????????????

The question was shifts.

DCFD by the way works 24 on and 72 off.

we work 3/4 shift. on - off - on - off - on - off - off - off - off

Every one loves it. Its alot better than the 24/48 thing.

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by resqtek
    I work two 10hr days, two 14hr nights, four days off. I love it. A 24hr shift at my station could be a real nightmare. Last year we did 6700 calls out of my station alone. There were a couple times we did 34 calls in a 10 hour day. The night shift came on and had a similar night. I couldn't imagine doing 65-70 calls in one shift.

Were these medical calls or fire calls?????

Forum Member

Medical calls, alarm bells, floods, MVA's, and even a couple dumpster fires. It was -30 celcius and we had sprinkler systems freezing, which caused water flow alarms and in a couple cases, floods. Every year when it gets below -20 we get this busy.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

MembersZone Subscriber

My point was a 24 isn't a nightmare in a busy station. Right now we work 4 days on 4 off 4 nights on 6 off 3 days/3 nights split then 4 off. Our department has obtained info that from a health and safety point a 24 is better for you especially compared to our current shift. Even so with our current shift we get 2 full weekends off every month.

Forum Member

Our dept works 2days/2 nights 2 off 2days/2nights 6 off

10hr days and 14hr nights

Can't beat the 6 days off really, work roughly 16days a month. Our city does roughly 12-15,000 calls a year. Fire/EMS/Water rescue/HazMat/needle pickups/public service/Tech Rescue etc...

cheers

Forum Member

If there were arangements made for a relief crew to come in when we are doing 70 calls in 24 hrs then it would work. I have not seen any details yet as to how cities like DC manage this issue at their busy stations so until I see that I will stick to my 4 on 4 off.

Forum Member

Scoop, you are right, the IAFF has sorts of evidence to support 24/72 from both a fiscal and a health standpoint, again 24/72 is the best sghift out there
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information