Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default NE New Mexico VFD info needed???

First I would like to say that I am a member of several online forums and this forum has to be the most impressive one I have ever visited. It is well moderated and considering the amount of members, it gives off a real family oriented vibe. You guys are and should be very proud.

The reason for my post is to try and gather some information that I have been unable to find anywhere else. I thought this would be a good place to try my luck. If I am off topic or off base, You can delete the thread and send me on my way. But I would appreciate any and all help you an give me.

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I recently purchased a really well maintained 1969 Chevy Suburban. After close inspection of the vehicle and looking through the documents that came with the truck. I noticed it was originally sold from Dallas to Mosquero, NM. It seems it was once outfitted as an Ambulance for the Mosquero VFD. I can confirm this by the original registration reciept that was found in the owners manual. It is dated July 8th, 1969. It was signed for by someone with the Mosquero VFD.

After doing many searches and sending off letters and emails to try and contact the Mosquero VFD. I recieved nothing in return. Since then I have learned that even though Mosquero is the county seat of Harding county. It now is home to a mear 120+ residents and the city offices and court house are currently vacated. I am in the process of trying to contact other area VF departments to try and get some information about this vehicle (including Roy, Tucumcari, Logan, clayton and others). I am very interested in it's history and it's past. I am requesting this information solely for personal use. It isn't very often you pick up and old vehicle and get any history of it's past. And being this was such an important vehicle to so many. It piques my interest that much more. I know that there has to be someone out there that may have worked in this area and have some information related to this old ambulance. Some where there has to be pictures of this truck in it's original form, outfitted for duty. As it stands now, it has been stripped of all it's past equipment. From the interior equipment to the lights and siren removed from the top.

If anyone has information on who I might try and contact to gather more info. Or maybe someone here may remember it being in service. I would appreciate the help. This truck means alot to me and my family, and I plan to keep it for a very long time. It would be really neat to have a timeline of where it has been in it's life.

I will add that the 2 previous owners before me show that the truck only had around 50-60K miles on it when it made it's way back to Texas. I have no idea when it made it's trip back home. But I am assumeing it would have been in the early 90's. Currently the truck has 108K miles on it. And it runs like a champ. I have included a picture to share with you guys.

Thanks again for all the help you can give me.
    Smokie55 - smokie1955@yahoo.com
    Will Evans
    Dallas, TX

????? - anyone from North East New mexico, Harding County, Quay County, Roy, NM, Mosquero, NM,.... Just needing some information on this very rural area of New Mexico???

Anyone???

Help, please? Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up Also try posting it here .................

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Sharp looking truck!! Looks like you got a good one!

Thanks for the compliments. I have really enjoyed it so far. I just confirmed that it is all original (except the missing lights and equipment). It is a numbers matching survivor. Great score I thought.

I haven't had much luck finding info. So I am planning to head to NM later in the fall to see what I can dig up. Wish me luck.

Default these may help ...

Hey there,

Great truck! I recently acquired a '58 American La France pumper that came from Rabbit Ear district in Union county. In researching that truck I found folks up there friendly and willing to help.

Here's some pages that may be helpful for you:

http://claytonnewmexico.org/businesses/services.php
    A bunch of phone numbers for a number of departments in the clayton area.

http://nenewmexico.com/counties/harding/
    Phone numbers for Harding county

Good luck, hope those help you out

Thread Information