Thread: Xbox!!!

Forum Member

I dont like XBOX I prefer PS2.

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
    But none the less...I'll shutup...
    Finally...thank you

In my basement I still have my sega genesis its has alot of dust on it but oh well.

i dont think there is anything wrong with haveing a thread about this in here, as long as its kept in its right fourm. this one was maybe out of its leauge for fire explore, but would have been fine for the off-duty area.
    The funniest thing by far in this thread that was said was the person who said adze's question about XBox was way out of the Explorers league. Are you serious? Considering Xbox and PS2 are made for children and adults. The thread he created is fine where its at. I mean there have been threads about what car you drive, that doesnt have to do with firefighting should that be in the off duty section? seriously who cares, move on.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

In my basement I still have my sega genesis its has alot of dust on it but oh well.
    I play the Genesis more than I play the N64 anymore. Sonic the Hedgehog is still awesome after all these years. One of these days I'll break down and buy one of the newer systems. I want to get a PS2 but I'm afraid they'll be outdated in the next few years.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

I play the Genesis more than I play the N64 anymore. Sonic the Hedgehog is still awesome after all these years. One of these days I'll break down and buy one of the newer systems. I want to get a PS2 but I'm afraid they'll be outdated in the next few years.
    There is some news reports/clips located on the internet. One of the more reliable ones IMHO is http://www.psreporter.com/playstation_3_news.html

Hopefully the PS3 will "replace" the PS2, but the hardware had better be backwards compatible. I didn't spend all the money on my PS2's network card, hard drive, keyboard, headset, and all my games.

WFDJR1, make sure you get SOCOM and SOCOM II, they kick butt. The controls take alot to get used to, but if you have a broadband internet connection, get yourself the NIC and play online.

FDNY101Truck, you wanna talk about older systems? I have a functioning Commodore 64 and an Atari. I cherish my old hardware, my first "console" an original Nintendo, won't be leaving my owernship anytime soon.

Forum Member

Speaking of systems, I have a fully functional Atari as well, and an SNES.

But as far as newer stuff goes, I dont care for the whole outdate race thing, so I stick to what I've got. At the moment its a PS1, and by christmas when prices get lower, PS2.

I dont mind outdated systems, .
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

IACOJ Agitator

bump (hey, why not?)
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Well back to the gaming systems just a question of curiosity anyone here played the PS2 game FD. 18 (I think that was it at least) ?

Forum Member

Considering Xbox and PS2 are made for children and adults. The thread he created is fine where its at.

Hey kids, I'm 37 years old and a total freak for the PS2.I just picked up Red Dead Revolver last night. I must say it is beaaatttchhhinn!! I don't normally post here but I decided to chime in because Adze was takin a beating for a perfectly legitimate question. I'm getin kind of sick of these little "forum agents" lurking around telling people what to post and where. I say if the web team doesn't have a problem with it, neither should you...

Forum Member

Unhappy

Heh...nevermind...

*scared of the webteam*
    Last edited by firekid1234; 08-05-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Forum Member

*Looks around...I think there gone now*

Now for the original question.

Adze, I had an xbox for a while, but later sold it before live came out. I bought a gamecube instead, being a huge Zelda and Mario fan. I used to be cool enough to play xbox live on a friends system, but he soon cancelled his account because of all the "cool" people on there swearing relentlessly. Also because they kept changing my friends name, or saying it rather from Mr. Nigers, (pronounced ni-jers) to another racist name.

As for firefighter F.D. 18, heres gamespots review of the game.

Difficulty:
    Medium
    Learning Curve:
    From 0 to 15 MinutesGameSpot Score7.1goodAbout Our Rating System Gameplay - 6
    Graphics - 7
    Sound - 6
    Value - 6
    Tilt - 9

Over the course of video game history, players the world over have saved cities, countries, planets, and entire galaxies from alien scourges, evil ninja clans, death-dealing robots, and brutally insane wizards millions of times. But, as you might surmise from the game's title, Firefighter F.D. 18, Konami's new third-person action game, brings the scale of the crisis down to a more personal level and has you fighting something less tangible than ninjas or zombies. Fighting fires instead of more typical corporeal opponents is certainly a refreshing change, but the gameplay can't make entirely good on Firefighter's unique concept.

In modern Konami style, Firefighter injects additional tension into an already tense job with some between-mission melodrama. You play as Dean McGregor, a firefighter haunted by a tragic accident where he was unable to save a loved one. Now, McGregor finds himself juggling a spunky young female reporter who likes to get too close to the action and a twitchy, paranoid arsonist who has his sights on McGregor. Though a lot of the dialogue is pretty embarrassing, and a lot of the dramatic sequences seem hokey, it's all Hollywood enough that it kind of works.

There are few things as primal and frightening as an out-of-control fire, and Firefighter tries to capitalize on that.
    As firefighter Dean McGregor, your primary concern is saving civilian lives, though you do get points for extinguishing fires, and you'll have to cut your way through plenty of flames to do the rescuing. You have your trusty fire hose for extinguishing most fires, a portable chemical-based fire extinguisher for the more stubborn stuff, and an axe for breaking through walls and smashing various other obstacles. Most of the time, the fire is already at such a full blaze that, as a one-man rescue team, you have no hopes of putting out the entire fire. At best, you can clear a narrow path so you can reach those in peril and hope the fire doesn't catch up behind you too quickly. The game does give you a good sense that you are almost always on the verge of being engulfed in flames yourself, though it's also pretty dependent on scripted events, which can make different sequences predictable, and that makes most of the game's difficult sequences simple exercises in trial and error. The scripted nature of the game also reduces its value, since there's little reason to go back to it after completing the game, which can be done in under 10 hours.

After a few levels of search and rescue, the game will face you off against (and we're not kidding here) a boss fire. Complete with unique names, life bars, special moves, and vocalized death knells, these fires tend to require you to use special tactics to defeat them, and they can be pretty challenging. The AI at work here is pretty blatant, which goes against the inherently unpredictable and dangerous nature of fire, though this is only one of many liberties Firefighter takes with the job. Your hose can follow you anywhere--up several stories in a building, inside ventilation ducts, through closed doors, you name it. When a civilian is rescued, he or she will issue a quick thanks and then magically evaporate into the ether.

This stuff can seem a little goofy, but ironically, the game's biggest shortcoming is that it doesn't go far enough with the arcade philosophy. It's obvious that the developer wanted to create a visceral firefighting experience, yet McGregor still trudges along at a methodical pace, the aiming is sluggish, and the recovery time after taking damage slows things down even further. Also, the controls would have benefited from some additional adjustment, since you can't control the camera while you're running, which forces you to stop entirely to get a better look around you. Konami had the right idea with magical fire hoses and sentient blazes but just needed to keep running with it.

The visuals in Firefighter arguably sell the experience much more convincingly than the actual gameplay. The environments tend to be pretty blocky and bland, but this is of little consequence, since said environments are usually covered in fire. The fire is the star of the show here, and it usually looks convincing enough, but what really sells it is the way it moves, slowly crawling across surfaces and burning intensely when it finds something nice and flammable. The game also employs a variety of smoke and fog effects to give you a sense of the physical mass of the atmosphere, and there are other touches, such as the black smoke that hovers at the top of a room or the flames that lick down from above. These effects really give you the sense you're in a burning building. McGregor's character looks and moves pretty convincingly, though some of the animations for when he takes damage or falls down can look a little awkward, and the other people you'll encounter during the game don't look nearly as sharp. The in-engine cutscenes look good, with nicely detailed characters that move naturally and emote convincingly. You could lodge many complaints about how Firefighter looks, including its repetitive environments or shallow color palette, but what it does, it does pretty well.

It's unique on the surface, but it devolves into pretty standard third-person shooter fare too often.
    As mentioned earlier, the story in Firefighter feels pretty cheesy, and much of that can be credited to the voice acting. The voice acting itself is serviceable, but the lines that these poor actors are forced to read make the story's melodrama feel stilted and absurd and provide at least one chuckle-worthy moment in any cutscene. You also have a staticky voice in your ear giving you useless information such as "watch out for explosions," usually a full beat after something blows up right in your face. Simply put, this guy is just annoying. The other sound elements fare much better, with some rather grand background music adding further to the tension, and the sounds of chemical explosions, sparking electrical wires, popping light bulbs, and hissing gas leaks helping to immerse you in the moment.

Firefighter F.D. 18 definitely gets points for originality, but its interesting concepts, such as the whole boss fire thing, and its quirky nature are hamstrung by clunky controls and repetitive gameplay. If you look past all the smoke, Firefighter isn't much more than a third-person shooter where you can check the inventory of your arsenal on one hand. If the game's concept intrigues you, Firefighter is definitely worth renting, but it's a much more difficult game to recommend for purchase.

Thanks to Gamespot for that review. Not me, gamespot.com

I just purchased a great game from Amazon, emergency fire response. You control all the firefighters and trucks, and must complete certain objectives. Its pretty cool.
    Last edited by firekid1234; 08-05-2004 at 07:42 AM.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by firekid1234
    but he soon cancelled his account because of all the "cool" people on there swearing relentlessly.
    The swearing all depends on the type of people you are playing with. (I'm sure I'll get heat for this...) Usually it is just the younger teens that swear their heads off in the games. I can't even stand to play with most of them. It's not just the swears, but the way they swear and their whole immature attitude which I'm sure Firekid knows exactly what I'm talking about. Usually if you play with adults or older teenagers, they are more mature in the game and don't swear all the time (although they will say the occasional s or f word).
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Originally posted by FDNY101TRUCK

I mean there have been threads about what car you drive, that doesnt have to do with firefighting should that be in the off duty section? seriously who cares, move on. [/B]
    what car you drive has alot to do with firefighting, or at least with volunteer firefighting. I respond to the firehouse in a vehicle, which is extremely important because if I didn't have a car I wouldn't be able to go to a call. Another important thing is the type of vehicle, whether or not you can respond for example in the snow. I know that with my two wheel drive POS I can't get anywhere with snow on the ground.

Thread Information