MembersZone Subscriber

Default health assessment for live fire burns

Hey all,
    We're conducting a live fire training exercise Saturday using a propane fire training trailer/flashover simulator. I've read NFPA 1403 and 1500 regarding health assessments before and during the training but I can't find anything with more explanation. I assume a regular vital sign check would suffice, does anyone know? Also what would be the limits....over 140/80, ???. What are the acceptable limits?

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't everybody jump at once with an answer

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

140/80 as an upper limit? I'd bump it up a bit, some of our guys' BP run that normally while resting.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Since it is summer, I think you would also want to consider body temp. Infared thermometers are cheap and allow you to read core body temp through the ear. The process is quick and doesn't require the firefighter to remove any gear. Heat stroke can start around 103 F. EPA uses 101.6 as their cut off for working in chemical protective clothing. As with any measurement, you should get a baseline before the work begins.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out http://www.bolesfs.com/cooldraft/rehab.htm this may surve as a great skeleton for a working Rehab SOP. I stumbled on it recently while trying to convince trying to solidify ours (Still not done).
    Train Hard. Be Safe

Thread Information