MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Jersey, I aint goin' back again!!!

'Ladies night' nixed in N.J.
    TRENTON, N.J. (AP) The state's top civil rights official has ruled that taverns cannot offer discounts to women on "ladies nights," agreeing with a man who claimed such gender-based promotions discriminated against men. (Related item: Many scoff at ruling)
    David R. Gillespie said it was not fair for women to get into the Coastline nightclub for free and receive discounted drinks while men paid a $5 cover charge and full price for drinks.

In his ruling Tuesday, J. Frank Vespa-Papaleo, director of the state Division on Civil Rights, rejected arguments by the nightclub that ladies nights were a legitimate promotion. Commercial interests do not override the "important social policy objective of eradicating discrimination," he ruled.

Gov. James E. McGreevey criticized the decision, calling it "bureaucratic nonsense."

"It is an overreaction that reflects a complete lack of common sense and good judgment," McGreevey said in a statement.

The governor does not have the authority directly rescind the ruling. But he met with state Attorney General Peter C. Harvey on Wednesday, telling him that the civil rights division had better things to do with its time, said Micah Rasmussen, a spokesman for McGreevey.

A spokesman for Harvey did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

The ruling specifically addressed the weekly ladies nights at the Coastline in Cherry Hill, but it carries the force of a court decision and applies statewide. Vespa-Papaleo said state officials would write formal rules after a public hearing.

The restaurant's attorney, Colleen Ready, did not immediately return a telephone message left Wednesday by The Associated Press.

Courts in other states have issued divergent opinions on such promotions.

Judges in Pennsylvania and Iowa have said similar events are illegal, but courts in Illinois and Washington state have said that ladies nights are permissible because they do not discriminate against men but rather encourage women to attend

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Judges in Pennsylvania and Iowa have said similar events are illegal, but courts in Illinois and Washington state have said that ladies nights are permissible because they do not discriminate against men but rather encourage women to attend
    I of course cannot speak for anywhere else, but around here, Ladies Night usually means that men are not allowed entry until after a certain time.... if at all on some events/nights.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Gov. James E. McGreevey criticized the decision, calling it "bureaucratic nonsense."
    "It is an overreaction that reflects a complete lack of common sense and good judgment," McGreevey said in a statement.
    Wow. I actually agree with something McGreevey says. That was some well spent tax dollars...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I of course cannot speak for anywhere else, but around here, Ladies Night usually means that men are not allowed entry until after a certain time.... if at all on some events/nights.

"Ladies Nights" are meant to encourage the smart attractive women to come to the taverns. Where the ladies are, the gentlemen will follow. It is a plot to encourage more men to come to their taverns. Then you can buy us a drink, have witty intelligent conversation.....

Forgive me, it's been a long week and it is only Tuesday. At least I think it is Tuesday.
    Last edited by superchef; 06-15-2004 at 03:59 PM.

the 4-1-4

And we wonder why we are an over taxed society. This is the litigation that they consider important to busy themselves with. That and trying to remove "under God" from our pledge. Sometimes you have to just laugh.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by superchef

"Ladies Nights" are meant to encourage the smart attractive women to come to the taverns. Where the ladies are, the gentlemen will follow. It is a plot to encourage more men to come to their taverns. Then you can buy us a drink, have witty intelligent conversation.....

Forgive me, it's been a long week and it is only Tuesday. At least I think it is Tuesday.
    Only thing is there ain't many of us who can engage in "witty intelligent conversation"................... There is often a disengagement between mind and mouth when the gap between the teeth gets filled with alcohol.

Although I have not found too much problem with needing encouragement to follow where the Ladies are.....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

WOW !!!!!!!!!! I am PROUD to be an American !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Sr. Information Officer

Talking

Will they be taking all the "HAPPY" out of Happy Hour...by ruling that it discriminates against those who work late?

Joizy......love it or?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information