MembersZone Subscriber

Default Black Bear enters E.R.

No joke folks - a Black Bear wandered into the Emergency Room waiting area last night at our local hospital.

Link to News 10 Article

Bear Walks In Hospital
    By Melissa Martin / WSLS NewsChannel 10
    June 16, 2004

Carilion Franklin Memorial is used to walk-ins, but when a black bear checked in Tuesday night, everyone was caught by surprise, including ambulance driver, Lee Nelson, who was first to spot it.

"At first I thought somebody in a bear costume. When I saw it running with the short legs, I knew this ain't no joke," said Nelson.

This male 200-300 pound bear walked right through the automatic doors at Franklin Memorial.

Normally the doors close every night at nine o'clock. On this night, hospital officials tell us the security guard was a few minutes late. Five minutes later, the bear walked right through.

Nelson got on his radio to alert people inside.

"I told them there's a bear trying to get in the hospital-- it was in on tape and then I told them he's in the hospital. The bear is in the hospital," said Nelson.

That's when security guard Dan Thompson came to lock the main doors, and met the bear eye to eye.

"When I turned around and he was right behind me, it made my heart start pumping. He came about three feet towards me and went in that office that was open," said Thompson.

Thompson shut the door, and locked the bear inside to call police, who hoped to tranquilize it, but for safety reasons had to put down the bear. It's hard for Thompson to forget the brief encounter.

"He becomes mirrored in his size when he's alone in a hallway. He looks somewhat bigger than probably what he really is," said Thompson.

And police finally got to see the bear first hand too, after hearing of sightings earlier that evening.

In the end, the chase didn't work out so well for the bear, but this house call brought some excitement this hospital will never forget.

Link to Roanoke Time Article

A full-grown black bear was shot and killed after it wandered into Carilion Franklin Memorial Hospital on Tuesday night, officials said.

Franklin County Sheriff Quint Overton said the 300-pound male bear was first spotted walking down West Court Street in Rocky Mount. When the bear wandered in front of the hospital nearby on Floyd Avenue about 9:10 p.m., it activated the sensor that opens the hospital's doors. The bear walked through a couple of hallways and into a computer room with glass windows, said Lt. Karl Martin of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Two Rocky Mount police officers were nearby and yanked the door shut behind the bear, he said.

Officers planned to sedate the bear, but because the hospital was nearly full they were worried what could happen if the bear were to get loose. An officer shot the bear twice and its body was removed before 10 p.m., Martin said.

No one was injured, Martin said. The computer room sustained only minor damage, caused by the bear's bodily fluids.

- Shawna Morrison
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

That's just too crazy! I thought stuff like that only happened in the movies. Too bad about having to shoot the bear, but I can see the safety aspect of a 1/2 drugged bear rampaging around a busy hospital. Better a dead bear than several hurt people - would not look good for the image of the hospital, or the city.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default FROM EASTERN CANADA

N.B. forestry worker spends eight hours trapped in tree by angry bear

Canadian Press June 16, 2004

LAKETON, N.B. (CP) - A New Brunswick forestry worker came face-to-face with one of his job's more dire occupational hazards on Monday.

Gary McIntyre encountered an angry bear just minutes after he started work in the woods near Laketon, a small community north of Moncton, in Kent County. The bear charged and McIntyre scampered up the closest tree, only to find the bear climbing up behind him. "Her teeth were right under my boots," McIntyre told the regional television network ATV on Wednesday.

Trapped without his bear repellent or two-way radio, McIntyre was forced to hop to another tree to avoid a mauling.

"She tried to grab me for a while and after I stopped screaming, the bear calmed down," said McIntyre. "The more I screamed, the madder the bear got."

The tree now sports deep gouges where the bear clawed it in frustration.

McIntyre spotted the cause of the bear's outrage after eight hours out on a limb.

He saw her cub crawling down from the top of a 15-metre tree just a couple of metres away around dinnertime.

"By that time, the cub had come down to about seven or eight feet from the ground," said McIntyre. "The mother turned around and the cub jumped down and went with its mother."

McIntyre waited for a couple of minutes before deciding it was safe to come down from his perch.

It wasn't his first encounter with bears on the job; he was trapped up a tree for 15 minutes five years ago and ran into a mother with two cubs two years ago, though that bear walked away after a few grunts.

McIntyre said he spent most of his time in the tree praying and thinking about his family and job.

He said he likes his job and that the occasional run-in with a bear comes with the territory.

The Canadian Press 2004
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Smile

I am soooooooo glad that we don't have them rascals here! A few gators in the slews off the rivers, but they can't climb trees! That I know of. Now, `skeeters with landing lights, yes. no bears. THANK GOD!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Smile

It was probably looking for medical attention or a GOOD NURSE to munch on!!!!

Forum Member

I had one saunter out infront of me driving home from the girlfriends last night..Scared the s**t out of me
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information