Default Another reason to join

Here's another example of ways to get folks to join.

In a nutshell, the chief and captain ordered him to go to the hospital in the ambulance after a dizzy spell at a structure fire. Now he's facing ambulance bills that insurance won't cover.

Firefighter Upset at Ambulance Bill

If a firefighter really has a pre-existing condition that keeps them from performing, they shouldn't put themselves or the rest of the crew in danger. Regular physical agility tests and examinations should be demanding enough to find problems like this.

Without knowing all of the details about this incident, it sounds like a classic case of the insurance company trying to weasel out of another claim.

Hope it works out okay for this guy.

Forum Member

Wow, if that isn't the biggest crock I've ever heard.........

Forum Member

Thumbs down

WOW !!!!!!!!! another full load for the turd wagon !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

This one's completely on the insurance company. Pre-existing condition my rear end!

The story does give some hope that the city council will stand up for him.

It does seem to be a silly policy to bill other city emergency workers for a trip in a city owned ambulance. Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul!

BS.

I don't know about Minnesota law, in CT volunteers are covered under a hypertension presumption provided they pass their initial physical. In my case that physical was when I was 16 so I'm covered there!

I'd wonder if the city has the ability to pay and then sue their insurer. That may not be an option under their policy (i.e. once we reject the claim, you can't approve it since that would set a precedent we, the insurer, may be held to in the future...), I don't know. That would be the *right* thing to do.

Problem is for $3,000 is that would suck up most of the attorney fees you'd probably use to try and prove your case. I know there's a process so you can mark those dings as "disputed" charges if they show up on your credit report. Companies that just look at the FICO score may not care, but companies that do look at the report usually will discount negative ratings due to health care charges, especially if it's commented that the charges are the subject of a lawsuit over responsibility, if all the other bills are kept paid up.

You do have to watch them too...from how our Worker's Comp provider's form was described, the one they wanted signed at the hospital by one of our members had the person signing accepting the lower of two formulas in the state statutes for determining your payments.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

I know a few firefighters who "suffer" from severe rectocranial inversion (they just don't know they have it!). Is that a pre- existing condition?

The way I see it: The chief says "you are going to be checked out at the hospital, and you are going by ambulance!"

The pre-existing condition was following orders!.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    The way I see it: The chief says "you are going to be checked out at the hospital, and you are going by ambulance!"

The pre-existing condition was following orders!.
    Ditto...... What's going to happen the next time someone gets hurt/sick. They may not say anything for fear of the medical bills. Then you can possibly chalk up another LODD due to an MI.........

Thread Information