Thumbs up Hi fellow Ohioans..

I am considering becoming an EMT but I don't know where to start. My local Vocational School has EMT-B and EMT-I training classes, I assume I start with EMT-B. I was thinking of becoming a nurse but I really think I would enjoy this much better. Any help or comments would be helpful.

Trish

MembersZone Subscriber

What part of Ohio??
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Default Ohioans..

I about an hour south of Columbus.

Trish

MembersZone Subscriber

Trish,

There are several routes that you can go, I would strongly recommend that you look into a program at a community college. That way, you earn college credit for taking the course and if you change your mind or even just decide to do nursing along with your EMT job, you can sometimes use the credits from an emt course to satisfy an elective requirement for a nursing program. In some cases you can also get what is called Experienced Based Education credit thru special programs which is college credit for job and life experiences. These are usually asscioiated with some type of special project as well.

But if you are on the fence, leave your doors open, and always try to get the most bang for your buck. Who knows you might decide to go for a fire science or emergency medical degree in which you want to use those emt and/or paramedic school credits toward. So it is much easier to start out at a college than a trade school from that aspect.

If there are any other questions you have, feel free to ask.

Nathan

MembersZone Subscriber

trish

You may want to contact some of your local volunteer departments and see if you can get on as a EMT. Some departments will pay for your scholling as long as you serve a certain amount of time.

I would talk to people in the "business" and ask them any questions you have. If your local Vocational school offers it I would check out the program and talk to the instructor.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Trish, depending on what area of nursing you are interested in, having your EMT card also can be very helpful. Most Mobile ICU/ Flight programs require their nurses to also have at least an EMT-B cert.

(And you'll make alot more money as an RN )
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Disillusioned Subscriber

Send me a PM with your address trish820. If you're an hour south of Columbus, you're in my neighborhood. I'm pretty familiar with some of the programs available in this area.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information