MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking A Moment Of PATRIOTISM....

There is no particular reason why... it just sort of flashed over me.

For those who are Canadian ENJOY!!! For our Southern and Overseas Friends.... dig in and contribute!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Anything to boost the ole post count hey Rick hahaha
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

No.. not really. Was just sifting through some older email, and found that contained in one of my messages. This is the original message:

SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?

1. Smarties

2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp

3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down

4. Baseball is Canadian

5. Lacrosse is Canadian

6. Hockey is Canadian

7. Basketball is Canadian

8. Apple pie is Canadian

9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers butt

10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts butt

11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon MaKenzie King who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied...Go figure..

12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.

13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone. anywhere. EVER.

14. Our civil war was fought in a bar and it lasted a little over an hour.

15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught.

16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company.

18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.

19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.

20. We don't marry our kin-folk.

21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year.

22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something and lived to tell about it.

23. A Canadian invented Superman.

24. We have colored money.

25. Our beer advertisments kick ***

BUT MOST IMPORTANT!

24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

25. And we don't bomb our allies.

oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

Pass this on if you are proud to be Canadian!!!

I AM CANADIAN!!!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Gotta add Shreddies to that list!!!!!
    IACOJ

Malahat, I'll contend #21 on that list. The original "Velcro" was designed and manufactured here in Vermont by a native US citizen.

I don't recall his name, but he had Velcro produced by Parks and Wilson Machine Company in Springfield Vermont. Velcro had to be manufactured on a knapper, which also was invented by P&W.

I'll try to dig up some more facts...

Forum Member

Don't forget our greatest invention, the Robertson Screw.

Forum Member

To prevent an international incident across the 49th parallel over who actually invented Velcro, Americans or Canadians. I submit the following....it was neither it was invented by a Swiss.

One lovely summer day in 1948, a Swiss amateur-mountaineer and inventor decided to take his dog for a nature hike. The man and his faithful companion both returned home covered with burrs, the plant seed-sacs that cling to animal fur in order to travel to fertile new planting grounds. The man neglected his matted dog, and with a burning curiosity ran to his microscope and inspected one of the many burrs stuck to his pants. He saw all the small hooks that enabled the seed-bearing burr to cling so viciously to the tiny loops in the fabric of his pants. George de Mestral raised his head from the microscope and smiled thinking, "I will design a unique, two-sided fastener, one side with stiff hooks like the burrs and the other side with soft loops like the fabric of my pants. I will call my invention 'velcro' a combination of the word velour and crochet. It will rival the zipper in its ability to fasten."

Mestral's idea met with resistance and even laughter, but the inventor 'stuck' by his invention. Together with a weaver from a textile plant in France, Mestal perfected his hook and loop fastener. By trial and error, he realized that nylon when sewn under infrared light, formed tough hooks for the burr side of the fastener. This finished the design, patented in 1955. The inventor formed Velcro Industries to manufacture his invention. Mestral was selling over sixty million yards of Velcro per year. Today it is a multi-million dollar industry.

Not bad for an invention based on Mother Nature.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CollegeBuff

We've got Tim's now (they bought out Bess Eaton).

Sorry Rick... I've been there once, and with luck never again. Ain't nuthin to be proud of.

<<<>>>!!!!!!!!!

:eek

College, that is like insulting the American flag!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default MISSISSIPPI

MISSISSIPPI!!!! We have.....uhhhh.....a.....well....grass?

Seriously!! It is a good place to live!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rockland County New York...The epicenter of the West Nile virus in America...WOOOOOOO!!!

Forum Member

Dutchess County NY, home of FDR, Vin Diesel, the premiere Culinary Institute of America, and much much more!
    Last edited by FiftyOnePride; 06-17-2004 at 09:32 AM.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Disillusioned Subscriber

21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year.
    Alexander Graham Bell was born in Scotland in 1847. Even though he lived in Ontario for bit, he didn't start his career as an inventor until he moved to the US.

Oh, and unless they've sold it off, Tim Horton's is owned by an Ohio company now...Wendy's.
    Last edited by Steamer; 06-17-2004 at 10:35 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

the 4-1-4

25. And we don't bomb our allies.
    This could mean that there are no air combat units, or if there are they don't do close air support. Kind of a cheap shot, but funny none the less. P.S. If the longer field and 1 less down were all that great, why do I have to watch ESPN at 2 a.m. to see "that" kind of football played.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CollegeBuff

We've got Tim's now (they bought out Bess Eaton).

Sorry Rick... I've been there once, and with luck never again. Ain't nuthin to be proud of.
    Sorry CB, but like so many other things, ya just gotta have it from the Native Lands. Just as you would not eat KFC in Asia (I strongly recommend that you DO NOT - I've been there), you can't expect Timmys to be the same everywhere. Even here, store to store they are not quite alike, some are better either in quality of product or in service - usally in service, as Pfire will attest to with great vemonence!

Steamer: I am not too sure about your comment, but it would not suprise me, as in many of the big malls, they seem to be side by side... maybe its a conspiracy...????

Forum Member

*sigh* I REALLY wish people would quit making reference to me and/or my life in their posts. I'm quite capable of talking about myself, my likes, my doing's etc without someone else doing it for me.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually I made the reference because you order from them far more often than I do. The application of the phrase "But you will drink mud water coffee" has been made towards me on several occasions, which would kind of make my opinion on taste rather suspect, whereas yours is in "good taste".

No offence was meant or intended.

Disillusioned Subscriber

from MalahatTwo7: Steamer: I am not too sure about your comment, but it would not suprise me, as in many of the big malls, they seem to be side by side... maybe its a conspiracy...????
    I checked Tim Horton's website, and they mention on the page I linked that Wendy's is their parent company. I remembered that Dave Thomas bought the chain before he died.

Oh, and all the TH's I've been to have been pretty good.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Tim Hortons flag ship store was on Ottawa St. in Hamilton, Ontario. Up until a few years ago it still offered sit down counter service and the original round twisty seats. Ron Joyce, an ex Hamilton police officer bought the rights from Tim Hortons widow for a song. He sold to the Wendys corporation a few years ago but I believe still has a strong presence in the company. Their coffee can't be beat, their new line of soups and sandwiches are excellent, but since they've switched to frozen donut dough, their donuts BITE!!!!
    IACOJ

TIM HORTONS????????? WHERE??????????????????????????????

oh wait I am still in Minnesota. We don't have Tim Hortons here.

<< goes to her corner and cries
    Proud to be an official member of the I.A.C.O.J.

Paremediks R Us - You cut em - We gut em!

Firefighter 26's flame!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Anyway
    TIM HORTONS????????? WHERE??????????????????????????????

oh wait I am still in Minnesota. We don't have Tim Hortons here.

<< goes to her corner and cries
    Yes you do! Or at least you did a few years back. I was in Minneapolis for an IRECA conference in '96? '97? (can't remember exactly when), and we went to a Timmies for drive thru coffee. It was pretty good too...

Sorry to say this, but most of the time I've travelled in the States, I've found the coffee really stinks! And don't get me started on tea (hot, not iced)!

But, I did discover Lays sour cream and cheddar potato chips in the States, so all was not lost (see the Random thread for a discussion on chips)

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I love 7-11 coffee. When I visited Canada I was in heaven when I found 7-11 stores all over Ontario! Never got a chance to try Tim Hortons, although they were everyewhere. We settled for McDonalds, go figure! I travel 600 miles for a Big Mac! LOL
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber

Baby Steps Tillerman... Baby steps... LOL 7-11 isnt bad in a pinch - again for most of their stores. Given the choice though, Timmy's wins hands down, but when you're desparate ya grab what ya can, right LOL.

MembersZone Subscriber

If I could buy stock in 7-11 coffee, I would. I would put it up against Timmy Horton's Coffee anyday! Might we have a little friendly "USA vs. Canada Coffee Drink-off?..." LOL?>

Funny thing is, whenever I saw the Tim Horton's Restaurants, I started thinking about the TV Show, "Home Improvement." I can just imagine this burly guy with a Plaid Shirt and Beard, with a Power Tool saying "Come Drink Ma Coffe Eh, it's the best in Fer Prawlvincis.".....hehe

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Ok, now I am rolling around on the floor

The thing is though, I only have to go out of the base, about 4 blocks up the road, and within 100 feet of each other I can have Timmys or 7-11.

MembersZone Subscriber

Best of Both Worlds! I hear Horton's has good Breakfast!

Thread Information