MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trench Rescue Simulator

Looking for any information on commercial or "home-made" trench rescue simulators, please share here or e-mail me at sqd131@hotmail.com. Thanks
    Isa 43:1-3
    INDY Metro Fools
    IAFF Local 416
    Truck & Squad 131

Keepin it real

The only trench rescue simulators that I've seen so far are the ones where a trench is dug in the ground. Training should be as realistic as possible and you can't really simulate a trench, every trench is different, from the type of soil to the configuration of the trench (T, cross, L, or just a straight trench) to how deep to the weather. There are so many factors every trench is different.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Lightbulb Hope this helps...

I've drawn plans for elaborate concrete trench simulators which include 20' sections, unlevel floors, transecting pipes, "L" and "T" configuration. They've been built at various training centers and are generally expensive.

Another idea is to simply create an 'above ground trench'...built up mounds of dirt with a 'trench' between them, possibly using cinder block walls. All actions are actually conducted in an 'above ground trench'with realism of lowering panels, etc. Usually this is inexpensive.

Another option is to simply use scaffolding to create a trench, however this requires great attention to safety. This is the least expensive, however not as realistic.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Cool

Get in touch with Bill Zehnder (Zen-der) of South Central Technical College, North Mankato (MN) at billz@sctc.mnscu.edu. The college recently put together a mobile trench rescue simulator. The scenario is simple and it is relatively safe, using plastic pellets instead of soil.

James Flanders
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Training and Special Operations
    Minnetonka (MN) Fire & Emergency Management

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

The Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute also has one. You can try to find out about it at www.MFRI.org I've worked with it, and it's pretty decent. The main purpose for a training prop of this type is to allow indoor BASIC familiarization with working around a hole in the ground. As has been said above, there is no substitute for digging in real dirt, and we prefer that means of training above others.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

NJTF1Bowman and hwoods are both correct. I travel around the country teaching trench rescue and the only way to learn the right way is to use a real trench. It requires several instructors who have to really be on top of safety issues. When you're done and you remove the panels (just as safely as you installed them) it gives you a real respect for the danger of trench rescue when you see the soil fall back into the trench.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trench Sim

check out this link for a pic. http://www.wisconsinems.com/conf/2004Conf/Thur-06.jpg

It works very well and you can push along the braces.

Thread Information