Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Taskbook assistance

I'm a structural firefighter in Maine, and also a member of a wildland crew that works with the State Forest Service. Our wildland team interacts and trains with not only the Maine Forest Service, but also US Fish and Wildlife and National Park Service. Myself and other members of our team take NWCG courses, such as S212, S131, S200 and others. Since none of us work with any of the state or federal agencies we are told that they cant certify our taskbooks. My question is if there is any way for us to complete and sign off on our taskbooks without having it done on a western wildland fire. Is it possible and what would it take for it to be accomplished through our own structural fire depts.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

It's the old "Catch 22" deja vu, all over again. Similar to the words heard at job interviews....when the applicant is told..." you don't have any experience." And you of course....wonder how to get experience, if no one will hire you.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, but must say I've heard similar complaints. I also would be interested in hearing suggestions from our wildland members. Have you questioned your Maine Forest Service senior staff regarding the dilemma?

NJ
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Anyone that is certified in a position (the one you are trying to qualify in) and carries an agency qualifications card "red card" can observe you doing tasks, and sign off on your tasks in the position task book. They have to be qualified and card carrying; fully qualified and certified by their agency. You, have to meet all NWCG requirements for the position, and you perform the tasks uncoached. The task books are not a training tool, they are used to record your performance of tasks when you are ready to become whatever officially. Whoever finishes your evaluation will signoff on the remaining tasks, needs to discuss with you if you are ready to become one, then they certify that your task book is complete. You take the task book back to your hiring agency, and they (fire or whichever section deals with fire quals.) "certify" you by entering you into the IQS or IQCS and issue you a red card or something similar. When that happens, they again certify you have met all prerequisites for the position, training, experience, the task book is complete, pack test, physicals, and standards or refresher.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input, but that im familiar with. Me and my teams problem is that we dont work as regular employee with those groups. For the taskbook, your designated training officer is required to initiate the taskbook and your agency to finalize it. We dont have a specific agency to initiate, certify, or put us in the ICQS. My question is if there is any certification needed or can be acquired to do these and have access to the ICQS database being in the structural fire service.

NWCG has determined that private contractors can self certify. This means that you can do it all; as a private business, you can initiate your own task book, and have it signed off in the field by a qualified reviewer, and then you are responsible to database all of your training and experience, and issue your own red cards. Since you are private, you do not need to be a part of the IQS or IQCS for databasing. However dispatch centers have to get your quals and availablity through someone. Usually a state contact that manages private resources. js

Thread Information