Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IAFF Comeback!

MembersZone Subscriber SIGNAL99COM's Avatar

Default IAFF Comeback!

Over here in Syracuse, New York, t-shirts are being sold that have a saying "If you can't join the big dogs, join your local volunteer fire department".

I am planning on having a t-shirt designed for spoof theirs and I can't think of what I want it to say. Any ideas?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Why "spoof" it?

Not everyone can or will get hired on a career department, I think it will help to recruit volunteers.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Gonzo has a Point

Sometimes the biggest pain of all is to be ignored. Instead of joining battle, ignore it.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I may have explained the shirt the wrong way. It's a slam against volunteers. I will get a photo of it and maybe then you guys will understand.

It doesn't bother me. I just think spoofing it with something with a much better saying would be amusing. All in fun ofcourse.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

I stand by my previous statement.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Disclaimer: If you are offended by severe ribbing of the piad fire service and open and cocky praise of the voly fire service, to bad, grow thicker skin and get over it, I have! Dont read any farther if you think you are going to have hurt feelings. If you read any farther, and you are then offended, dont bother posting to tell me about it, you were for warned. If you still post to tell me you are offended, then I guess you cant follow instructions very well.

T Shirt ideas since you asked... oh, and if you use one of these you have to send me some...

Since you asked...

- Volunteer firefighters, the original fire service, accept no substitutes.

- Volunteer firefighters, first I took your job, now tell you Girlfriend to stop calling me.

- Volunteer firefighters, a pain in the Unions butt since *insert date here*

- Volunteer firefighters, the best things in life ARE free.

- Volunteer firefigthers, underpaid is an understatement.

- Volunteer firefighter *insert ocupaition here, IE layer, programmer, etc...* I didnt quite my day job...but I still took one of yours.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Why "spoof" it?

Not everyone can or will get hired on a career department, I think it will help to recruit volunteers.
    That my friend, I belive is way off. I think it will hurt the recruitment efforts.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Thumbs down Spoof or Poof

First, what exactly is a "piad" fire service? This must be a derivation of a "paid" fire service. We did, however, read "farther". Just a note: "Farther's Day" is coming soon. I'm sure you meant further in the sentance run on....it was great!
    1. Volunteers were the original because there were no taxing bodies to pay them. Protect the homestead dummy.
    2. My girlfriend keeps calling and calling and calling because there was no answer after the tones were dropped for the third time. Oh yeah, it's bingo night!
    3. Volunteers may only be a pain in the a** for their sheer lack of organization that they may exhibit. Oh, other than their organizational skills in lighting fires...
    4. STD's are free and yes, the donut wagon is here!
    5. You volunteer to join and you volunteer to quit and yes, the donut wagon is here!
    6. One certainly hopes that your "ocupaition" is not that of a copy editor for the local newspaper.
    I think just maybe some sour grapes have found their way into the forum. Squash them NOW! The public pays the price!

Angry

Oh how quickly this turned into a Career vs Volunteer thread.

SamsonFCDES you've been aroung long enough to know better, Oyster since you are new here I'll just say these types of theads bring out ill will among some fire fighterts.

Webteam please shut this thread down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default To paraphrase Weruj....

Pardon me sirs....I believe this thread belongs over here:

http://www.thewatchdesk.com
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Hehehe....Here we go again.

I think these threads are like a good angioplasty. After Eating enough S--t Sammiches' for a few months, you need one to clear out your system.

The shirt is obviously inflammatory. This is the same BS you hear all the time. Ignore it, it will go away. From what I hear Syracuse FD is severely understaffed and they Buy Orange Firetrucks. So they are getting the Brown end of the poop stirrer already.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber

WTFD10, here is a shirt for you....

"If you can't handle the Big Dogs (TheWatchdesk.com) Join your Local Buff Magazine Website forum."

90% of the people on here would get run off TWD with that Non-sensical BS talk about lights on POV's and Leather Helmets. There are a few from here that post over there, but not many. "Don't be Skeered."
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    WTFD10, here is a shirt for you....

"If you can't handle the Big Dogs (TheWatchdesk.com) Join your Local Buff Magazine Website forum."

90% of the people on here would get run off TWD with that Non-sensical BS talk about lights on POV's and Leather Helmets. There are a few from here that post over there, but not many. "Don't be Skeered."
    Hey SouthsideLadderMan....Wasn't dissin' and I ain't Skeered, I'm one of the few (although I mostly just lurk and laugh at Joey Knuckles)

I was merely pointing out that they can crack each other over the head with this over there and nobody will care.

And I think you'd agree that there's gonna be plenty of non-sensical BS on just about any firefighter forum, whether it's POV lights, paid/volly chest beating or who smoked who into their first due
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

I also believe that the shirt could hurt recruitment to some extent, if I were to read something like that (and did not have any fire service experence) I would think why would I want to join a volly dept. are they just a bunch of ''keystone cops'' or what?? But having fire service experence I know its just a childish argument over who is better. Currently I'm on a volunteer dept. and looking and trying to make it my career. Its not how much you get paid or if you get paid, its the rewarding experence that this job brings to those who can make the cut volly or paid.

Forum Member

I say don't reply, but if you must use the numbers to get your point accross. There are more vollies than career firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default iaff?????

sounds to me like you need a "syracuse fire department" comeback, not an iaff comeback. i have a lot of respect for volunteerism in all fields, especially the fire service (when and where it is deserved). i'm also a union man and i fail to see what connection your beef has to do with the international. i know for a fact that the iaff didn't print those ignorant, blow-hard t-shirts.

paid Vs. volunteer theres a new one!!

I agree with Chingon keep the IAFF out of it!!!

Default Forget about it...

Oh geez. I would forget about this whole shirt thing. The
    time and effort to produce a "comeback shirt" will on worsten
    the tension and is really just a waste of money.

Career vs. Volunteer.

PAID GUYS- Pretty much any of us career guys (including me)
    had to volunteer first to get where you are today. So dont
    dump on your roots. But paid FFs are much more educated and
    skilled. Its not an option rather a demand.

VOLUNTEER GUYS- Most likely you would like to or wanted to
    go career once you got a taste of the rush. Please dont
    bash a paid person. They busted their tail to achieve that
    position. (see above)

There...balanced and fair. Be cool, be nice and remember
    the brotherhood.

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-20-2004 at 12:36 PM.

Here is what the shirt looks like. Also, FYI - It's not the Syracuse Fire Department selling this shirt, it's a firefighter there who is also an Executive Officer of their Union. The fire department itself has nothing to do with the shirt.

Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

You are making a mountain out of a molehill
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information