Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: What benchmarks does your department use at structure fires?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basic - Search complete/all clear and under control

2 66.67%
  • Elaborate - A benchmark for most fireground tasks.

1 33.33%
  • Other/Combination -Explain

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Benchmarks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Benchmarks

I remember when 1000 posts was a big deal around here...

Anyways for my 1000th post, I thought I would ask another poll question.

What benchmarks does your department use at a structure fire?

Currently we officially only have two: All Clear and Under Control

Toledo uses the CFAI benchmarks which include: Water on the Fire, Ventilation started, backup line in place and some others that I can't remember right now LOL

I think these definitely give a clearer picture to everybody on the fire ground what is going on. The crew assigned to the backup line can assist with getting the initial attack line in place until they here the "water on the fire" benchmark, then they can get the backup line stretched.

If they are on a checklist they also give the IC a reminder of what needs to be assigned to incoming crews.

So what does your department use for benchmarks?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

We usually just do "Fire out" "fire under control"
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

while we have no set ones, I have learned alot from listening to the TFRD at work and I like them as everyone knows what progress is or is not being made. Also if something goes crappy, after the fact you have time line as to when it occurred. I try to use them here and is has been discussed but no one showed much interest in it. Here are some more from them:
    Water on the fire
    Back up line in place
    All clear by division
    All clear structure
    Sarch
    Ventilation complete
    10 min time check by dispatch
    Main body knocked down
    Start PPV
    as to how many of these are the actual benchmarks I dont know but heard very frequently at a working incident.Also these are noted in the CAD with the GD D/B (giving dispostion B=Benchmark)
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Originally posted by Weruj1
    while we have no set ones, I have learned alot from listening to the TFRD at work and I like them as everyone knows what progress is or is not being made. Also if something goes crappy, after the fact you have time line as to when it occurred. I try to use them here and is has been discussed but no one showed much interest in it. Here are some more from them:
    Water on the fire
    Back up line in place
    All clear by division
    All clear structure
    Sarch
    Ventilation complete
    10 min time check by dispatch
    Main body knocked down
    Start PPV
    as to how many of these are the actual benchmarks I dont know but heard very frequently at a working incident.Also these are noted in the CAD with the GD D/B (giving dispostion B=Benchmark)
    Like he said, we don't have any set ones to announce over the radio or a policy for benchmarks, but some people will use them, depending on the person. We do have them on a command sheet in the apparatus, but it's not grabbed all that often.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Josh or Brian, will the Give Disposition Benchmark command work on all of the CAD terminals or just TFRD? What do you type in? Would it be <WS721 GD/B, Water on the fire> or what?
    Last edited by WTFD10; 06-20-2004 at 08:08 PM.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

anyone can enter it ..........gd = gives disposition.........d/b= disposition benchmark
    as long as you know what it means when you put it in..........for EMS d/b= cancelled on the scene
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Moe, just make sure what your dispositions are for WSF first, to make sure it isn't already in use for something and nobody knows it. If it's not, then just type in "GD WSF721 D/B". Or, if it was me, I would just do a misc. comment for it.........

EX: mi WSF721,water on fire

or

M, WSF721,ventilation complete.

If you use the "M," command, it will automatically put "M," in the bottom of your screen so all you have to do is type in the next comment and send it. It will continue to keep putting the "M," up until you clear it out. Police use it a lot during pursuits....... That's how I always did it at UT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Or, if it was me, I would just do a misc. comment for it.........
    "M," is what we use now. I thought maybe there was a quicker and easier way to do it that involved less typing
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Originally posted by WTFD10

"M," is what we use now. I thought maybe there was a quicker and easier way to do it that involved less typing
    When you use the disposition, you should still type in what the benchmark is, so that way you can look at the text and know WHAT benchmark was made. I personally, would put as much info in the CAD as possible. That's what it's there for. that way when command id doing his report, he can come pull up the incident in the CAD and have all of that info in there. I would also include as much radio traffic in there as possible, too, including assignements being issued and completed, etc........

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I personally, would put as much info in the CAD as possible. That's what it's there for. that way when command id doing his report, he can come pull up the incident in the CAD and have all of that info in there. I would also include as much radio traffic in there as possible, too, including assignements being issued and completed, etc........
    We definitely try to...

That's the other thing I like about having these multiple benchmarks that are being tracked and entered by a dispatcher. It would be good to see how long it takes us to get water on the fire, etc. to see if we have big improvements to make.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

We use: Fire attack started, fire under control
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Thread Information