MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fireworks with the Fire Prevention Fund!

I received word earlier in the week that the Governor was considering taking $20 million from the Fire Prevention Fund, leaving the fund with only $2 million to operate on. I know that there was a last hour effort to protect it with the introduction of a law that would make it illegal to get at this money, except for its stated purpose.
    It sounds as if the grab is going to be made and if that happens, then a major effort will have to be mounted to get this funding restored to the OSFM.
    How dare Governor Blago appoint a man of JT's character and then handcuff him with a monumental reduction in his operating budget. Why not just set him up to fail.
    That's right; pay your buddy James Lee Witt a million dollars to investigate the Cook County building fire and then gut the state fire marshal's office of their funding, so you can throw more money at your Chicago cronies' pet projects. I can hardly wait for the ribbon cutting at the Gay/Lesbian Museum!
    Ladies and gentlemen; it is time to mobilize. It is time to contact your representatives and state senators and warn them that if this is allowed to happen, it will be tantamount to political hari-cari. If my representatives are foolish enough to vote for this budget with the proposed cuts in the Fire Service funding, then I am prepared to make certain that they don't get another term in office. Fortunately, my representatives are OPPOSED to these cuts and have been fighting hard to keep the money where it belongs.
    I think a road trip might be order. We need to surround the governor's home with fire apparatus and sound the horns and sirens until he comes to his senses.
    This stinks to high Heaven. We must stop it.
    I get the feeling that the governor has no intention of seeking a second term and is determined to wreak havoc and mayhem with our tax money, leaving a huge mess for the next governor.
    In the meantime, we will suffer through another fire season under-manned and under-budgeted.
    Time to kick some butt.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 06-19-2004 at 08:12 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

hhhhhmmm do I say anything or not? LOL......I agree with the chief......problem is i get real ****y when I talk politics LOL.....bottom line is we have lawmakers and a governor making budget cut after budget cut......has anyone once heard any of them say.."hey let's give back some of the money we are getting paid too much of" ?....uuuuuuuhhhhh nnnnnnoooooooo......it is easy to play with some one elses money and to run with actually no money......how does it work for anyone else when your bank account is in the negative dollars? LOL...mine don't work for crap ....just sit down and do your budget for next year.....oh you are 10,000.00 in the hole?.....no problem u can just live in the street LOL

ok enough of my rant....you get the idea

Mike

oh yea check out some of out training pictures...http://home.mchsi.com/~mike1965/wsb/...ome.html-.html

Forum Member

Angry

This is bulls@#t, or should i say Blows@#t. Seems to me someone is ****ed about his first appointment not getting in.This is a call to arms for every Illinois firefighter, write letters,send emails, do whatever you can to let Blojo know we ain't,no we can't let this happen. Time is short here folks, so don't wait. JT, were behind you 100%. Need to rest now my BP is a little high.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

gosh, I don't remember where, but I mentioned this a few weeks ago and nobody got excited. I heard at fire college from a IAFPD rep that I know that it was a done deal. He said they're going to take the money and JT will have to ask for it back as he needs it. CR's right that it's crap. The money comes from fire insurance premiums and is marked for the FPF. I don't know how much of OSFM runs off of this or if there's other funding for OSFM, but $20M is a LOT of money. I don't think it's retaliation, I think Blago is just trying to find some money to help balance the budget. He's robbed every fund he could find and now he's down to something that is near and dear to our hearts.
    Get the phones ringing and the e-mails going. Time is definatly short, if not already run out. And while you're at it, tell him to give DuBois back the $3,000 sewer fees they've paid the past 2 years. He doesn't want to raise taxes, but this is costing every residence in my town $12 a year. RAISE THE INCOME TAX AND GET IT OVER WITH!!!!
    Now I'm ranting on, sorry. I'm calling my rep and senator now.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default Re: Fireworks with the Fire Prevention Fund!

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    I think a road trip might be order. We need to surround the governor's home with fire apparatus and sound the horns and sirens until he comes to his senses.
    I disagree CR....don't take a road trip! If you're there and his house catches fire then you'll have to help put it out. I'm sure if he yanks 20M away from us and there aren't enough resources to put his house out he'll give it back But on the other hand that would be pretty damn cool to have a huge caravan of angry firefighters go up there and surround his house with lights, sirens, and bullhorns!! Let me know if you need cheerleaders, I have a big mouth!
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You were heard loud and clear!

I received word yesterday that the Fire Prevention Fund was left fully funded. The governor backed off on his plans to raid the fund.
    The law to protect it in the future has passed both houses and it is predicted that the Gov will sign it.
    See; just goes to show you that even politicians can do the right thing.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Whew!! Dad-burn it, Art, that was a close one!!

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Taht should make JT's life easier, at least for a while.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information