Default Humerous/Ridiculous Fire Ground Stories? And lessons learned.

We all have em, let's see some ones here(don't have to be your department, either, but it can).

My 'humerous' stories will deal mostly with size-ups, because we have a neighboring career department that has problems with those, apparently.

A lil bit of background:
    The career department that neighbors us(we're a combo department) has 5 firefighters on a shift(4 FFs and the CHief, or 44 FFs and a Captain, depending if the Chief is working that shift or not). Their manpower is divided between two stations(2 men manning an engine or a tower at headquarters and two men manning a telesquirt at a substation, plus the chief in his vehicle. If one of the captains is on duty, he's at HQ).

On this day, october 17 '03, our school was on an inservice day, so I was hanging out at the station with out career staff of four guys who were working that day. We were out in our engine doing some inspections and fire alarms tests when this went down.

Around 9:00AM we heard the 'city'(that's what we call the, since they're the City of Washington department) get punched out for a(love dispatch reports) possible small fire in the service area in one of the local car dealerships. They roll their engine and telesquirt immediately. The chief rolled in his jeep. But, at this time, NO mutual aid can be called at all until they have recalled all of their career shifts. So, despite the fire being in the backyard of one of our stations, it was 1+ hours into the incident before we were even punched out.

The chief arrived first and reports "Working fire. Recall the second platoon, we may need a second engine."

This is what he pulled into(minus the ladder pipe)

Gee, chief, you just may need that second engine!

In the end, the entirety of the City fire department was on scene(minus 1 firefighter who was out of state) and the fire building reached 60% involvement. They had a major water problem, with restrictions meaning they were unable to flow their big ladder pipe, only the squirt, and were limited in the amounts of hand lines they could use. With fire blowing out of the roof in the back and smoke rolling out of the showroom in the front, our tones dropped. We brought in an additional 18 firefighters, allowing the city guys, who'd been run down by the intense and hard fire fight, to switch out to rehab. We also laid half a mile of supply hose from four different hydrants on three separate systems to alleviate their water problems.

I, I might say, got a good bit of deck gun action that day.

Lessons learned:
    1. There comes a time for old chiefs to go out to pasture.
    2. If you need help, get help. Get a lot of help.
    3. IF you plan to flow big water, call your local Junior Hero.

Forum Member

Had a report of a structure fire w/ entrapment, woman claimed that she was trapped b/c the kitchen was on fire. Neighbor confirmed heavy smoke from the roof.

On the way to the fire, driver of the truck in front of me was attempting to turn the lights on when he accidently flipped the dump valve switches. All the water went pouring out the officer side, onto sidewalks, into the newspaper mailboxes...

Got on scene to find.... NOTHING... The woman was a nut case, nothing was on fire, she wasn't even home. She wanted someone to go check to see if her stove was on, and didn't think they would send anyone if it wasn't an emergency. Scanner owning neighbor was asked where the smoke from the roof was, he said it was the chimney, he figured it must have been a chimney fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kinda intresting

Heres one, just really ironic more than funny and it was an EMS call.

It was Good Friday.

We had a call for a 40 year old male with chest pain and sent our quint and ambulance (standard responce) to the residence and began to care for the patient. In the home was a middle age lady, the two were alone. We established an IV and got him on the cot when he asked us to take his phone, coat and shoes with him. I found it rather odd that a man would want us to take his jacket to the hospital with him. As we are wheeling out of the door he looks at the lady and tells her his car is around the corner.

The best we could figure was that it wasnt his home and that his wife wouldnt have approved of what he was doing there.

Im not a very religious man but, As for it being good friday, god has a way of getting back.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've gone on tons of false "fire" calls with our department doing ride-alongs. We have a medium size full time department (about 250-300 guys). Well, we get a call for a garage full involved, we arrive second in to find nothing, I mean not even smoke or leaves burning or something like that. I guess it was just a prank call or something.

Another time at our busiest engine, we get a call in one the high rise for a chest pains call, that always warrants 2 companies and an ambulance (they are private companies around here). We show up and somebody is by the door when we go through, we go to the lobby and ask the desk/guard who is having chest pains. Turns out that the lady at the door had her bags packed and just wanted a ride to the hospital. As it turns out, she is just one of the regulars around here for that sort of thing.

Last of all, I got to go to a field fire on a ride and we had one of the brush trucks at our house. We showed up and it wasn't huge fire, but really stubborn I guess. We ended up having 3 engine companies there and the brush truck going around the field. A farmer from across the street offered to use his disk to go around the fire to till up some of the corn stalks etc., and it seemed to help out quite a bit. I learned from this, to always see what kind of resources you may have available, because it may come in a different form than a fire truck.

Forum Member

We had a woods fire the other day...One of those ones that small but sort of big at the same time....While we were dousing hot spots we found a very burnt squirrel body....As one member looks a little closer we find a hole burnt through his head...Not to mention a pack of matches sitting next to it....So the big joke was the squirrel committed arson and was so distraught afterwards it committed suicide...
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
    We had a woods fire the other day...One of those ones that small but sort of big at the same time....While we were dousing hot spots we found a very burnt squirrel body....As one member looks a little closer we find a hole burnt through his head...Not to mention a pack of matches sitting next to it....So the big joke was the squirrel committed arson and was so distraught afterwards it committed suicide...
    HAH!

Poor squirrel...

R.I.P. little fried one.

... if there was a beer bottle nearby it would've been even more funny.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Oh yeah, my funny training story, we all have lots, but this one came to mind first.

We were up to the pond drafting, Explorers who didnt know were learning basics, and one FF was learning in house.

We were also doing deck gun and hose line training.

Anyways, I had just handed off the hose line after teaching a newer Explorer with one of my advisors the basics of it, and at the same time another Explorer had come up to the pond. I was wearing gear, the others were, he wasnt at the moment, he just got there, was checking out what was up (Very informal training). So he is standing next to the charge hose line, and the Explorer that had just been taught was doing her thing, when the hose line burst and soaked him, I was talking to him, and I didnt get wet because of my gear, he was soaked and wet. I told him, that is what you get! Lol.

Recently at PR event (washing down a driveway, American Legion). A new explorer again was getting their first taste of the hose, and they had a FF behind them, I was at that point taking a break becuase I let someone else take the hose and was a bit behind the Explorer and the FF. The Explorer didnt know I was behind them, and the FF did. The FF told the Explorer on three to point the hose completely the other way. Little did I know, I got wet . I found it hilarious but it wasnt cool.

JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

We just got off a 3 hour long house fire. It was one of those big homes in an upscale housing development. Our tones dropped for a reported fire on a kitchen stove, woman cooking. Smoke in the house, but she believed she had the fire out. I was at work when it came in, but like 90% of our other firefighters, my job(a temporary one, mind you) is with the township we protect. I was mowing grass in the park across the street and (barely) made the first engine out the door. Per standard procedure, our OIC on the engine(who's a career firefighter and our assistant chief) called in to find out how many calls the 911 Center had recieved for this run. They stated only one, the home owner. We turned onto the road and spotted the plume from about three quarters of a mile away. We started punching out other companies before we were on scene. As we pulled in front, we had fire blowing out of the entire first floor and heavy smoke from the top two floors. And where were the neighbors who should've been calling so we had an idea what was going on? Standing around, cell phones in hand.

Another time(about a year back) we got a call for a reported structure fire, multiple calls reporting heavy, black smoke. We rolled two engines, an engine/tanker, a rescue, and our squad within three minutes of each other. All but the second engine went directly to the scene. Our assistant chief(who no longer holds that position, but is one of our most experienced guys and who, by cahnce, calls himself the Senior Hero) went in to check. The family was surprised that we were there and confused. When we told them about the smoke plume coming from the back, he led us out to look. The man was burning two computers on a burn pile.

Looked like a plane crash.

Forum Member

What??
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

The plume of smoke. Looked like a friggin 747 had blown up in his back yard. It was this big plume that was visible from down the road.

Which was odd, coming from two of your average desktop computers. Lotta plastic, I suppose.

Forum Member

R.I.P. little fried one.

... if there was a beer bottle nearby it would've been even more funny.
    HAHAHAH...Yeah That Would Have Been Pretty Funny
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Humorous or ridiculous, eh?

I'm sure I've told this story before, but my very first call as a firefighter, when I was barely 18, I responded with my father (a senior firefighter on the same department) to a shed fire. Since it was beyond our location from the fire hall, we went on ahead in our private vehicle to recon prior to the pump's arrival.

We'd moved into the region only a few months before, and hadn't explored the district entirely. I had been down that road before, though my father hadn't. Anyway as we came down the road that led to the fire, I told him, "Careful, there's a sharp turn right here."

He okayed and then in a few seconds locked up his brakes and we skidded to a halt in the gravel on the shoulder of the road! I looked at him like he was crazy and pointed to the left, out his driver's side window, at the road snaking off into the night.

His response was, "You said there was a sharp turn right, here!"

On the same call, myself and another firefighter were told to get axes and take apart the remnants of the shed so they could do overhaul. So we did, and half an hour later, as me and the other rookie are actually chopping the 4"x4" timbers in half, the chief turns to my father and says, "I don't think you give him enough work to do at home."

Lessons learned?

1. Be precise in your instructions/directions.

2. Do the job you're told to do and no more, no less.

One more 'humorous' situation I encountered on the web (most likely here):

Talk about 'wetting the pump'...
    --jay.

I will just post one up here for some fun times. One of the members of my cadet corps is a pain to most of the senior guys and goofs off all the time. This past weekend was our Intercompany tournament and the Cadets participate as their own company. Well this kid, whos about 5 ft tall, small, and light was finally gonna learn his lesson. Our captain in front of most of us, grabbed him, and through him into the large "trough" we used for filling the buckets for the bucket brigade event. He was pretty wet.

Lesson Learned- Dont Annoy Superior Officers

Another funny event was one thing we saw. When one of the company ran the hose efficiency, they did not tighten the threads on the coupling fully. Well this coupling was the first coupling from the hydrant and as the rest of the crew kept going stretching the line and the water started coming through, "BANG!". The coupling burted open and started flying around.

Lesson Learned- FULLY Tighten Couplings and the Moment A Coupling Breaks, JUMP ON THE END OF THAT LINE AND CONTROL IT!!!!!
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member

We had a fire school and my post was kinda running it and we also got to do the training stuff but we also put most of the stuff together, and set up all the burns and everything. Well when we were doing a "basement fire" (actually we were in the second story of the taxpayer) i was on the search crew i was behind the kid leading and we went into the hallway and the kid didnt do his search correctly and missed a place to go into and search! So i called the kid back to where we were and i was like you missed a place follow me! They didnt really trust me leading a search till that, i cheated a little tho! I had already been into the building that morning and had been through there and seen what all was there! I thought it was funny! They kinda learned dont always think a chick cant do something because shes a chick! They may be just as good as you or better! (I definatley wouldnt say in better because im still learning!)
    Kat

Champaign Explorer Post 207

They didnt really trust me leading a search till that, i cheated a little tho! I had already been into the building that morning and had been through there and seen what all was there!
    That's not something to be proud of...

You got a view, and then are now trying to make it seem like you wouldn't have missed it if you were in the lead.

First you brag about your gear, and how your training is always play, what's next? That you put out a house fire by yourself?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's one from WAY back when I was a cadet (16 years old) for the Sheriff's Office; this was before I realized who has all the fun!

We get dispatched to a pickup rollover w/ travel-trailer. Upon our arrival, the road is blocked, so we start doing our thing. Well, the trailer rolled too, and it was a mess! We were almost ready to go, when I noticed some fluid leaking across the road. Well, I was an idiot. I reach down, rub my fingers in the stuff and put it up to my nose (No, at least I didn't taste it!!!!!). It smelled like crap. I mean, it REALLY smelled like crap. I look over and this trooper is standing there with a big smile on his face. Not a good sign. Seriously, those guys don't smile much, ya' know? So anyway, he shines his light at the "mystery fluid", which runs all the way from the RV's septic tank to where I stood. Yuck. Moral of the story....watch what you touch, and be careful of troopers! ;-)
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Forum Member

Here are some other stories

look at this
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

it's fun to watch this...
    Last edited by TotalChaos; 10-10-2005 at 12:40 AM.
    "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood"

Forum Member

That skill will never get used unless you set the house on fire yourself, which anyone stupid enough to do that should be given 30-life.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

I guess I can add to this now...

It was Wednesday of this week. The weather absolutely sucked, and it was raining all morning. But that didn't stop our class from going outside to learn anything and everything about hoses and nozzles.

We split up into three groups. One group was in the burn tower. They were tasked with advancing a charged 1 3/4" up to the third floor, and advancing a charged 2 1/2" up to the same third floor. The second group was on the ground, using combination and smooth-bore nozzles on a 2 1/2" and 1 3/4" line.

It was the last rotation, and my group was up in the burn tower with our 2 1/2. The group down on the ground thought they would be cool and try to spray us with their wimpy 1 3/4".

All in all, we got we, but they got SOAKED.

Lesson they learned: Don't mess with me and the little Italian instructor. If you do, we won't get even, we get ahead.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Thread Information