Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Info on first steps of Haz-Mat team.

We are just starting a Haz-Mat team here at the plant where I work. I don't have a clue where to start to get info on which level of protection I will need with the chemicals we have. Now, I know what training we need and where to get it. Is there such a book that will tell you what level of protection is requried for a specific chemical? I have went over the MSDS's and they are rather vague with phrases like Wear the appropriate PPE. This gets me no where. Also (and this could get nasty) what would you consider to be a BASIC patch and plug set of tools?

I can't give the chemical names in this forum, but an e-mail to 1103@lowndesfire.com will answer your questions...Please put HAZMAT in the subject line or it will hit the trash as spam.

I need your help, whatever you can spare....
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Default Of course it would.

Well, guys I'm sorry, When I posted the above, the e-mail was working...but it appears it is down....if you have tried to send something there and it failed, I am sorry...please try spearsm@ebicom.net
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

If you have an ERG's book, or a NIOSH Book, they are good sources of information from the basics for response(ERG), to the more complex(NIOSH). There are also numerous computer programs that are available to help.

Forum Member

If you work at a chemical plant, you have the best source of all for PPE recommendations - the people who work with the material every day. You should talk with them about probable scenarios, appropriate PPE and response.

In general, you can find a lot of good PPE information by checking with PPE manufacturers. DuPont has suit data on its web site (look under protective clothing). Glove vendors also have guides on their web sites. We carry hard copies on our truck. Make it a habit to check the glove guide before you suit up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with madscientist, the best source of accurate information is right there in the plant, with the chemists and EH & S personnel. Some independent resources should be available for incidents where contact with product experts wouldn't be feasible. The "Quick Selection Guide to Chemical Protective Clothing" is a good help...It won't tell you what level to go with, but in my opinion that is best determined on an incident-to-incident basis. But it does give the best brand/type of suit to wear with a large number of chemicals using breakthrough data. The NIOSH guide is a must.

I think a good patch & plug kit would have a variety of screw patches, wooden dowels (homemade never hurt), drum putty, overpacks appropriate for the drums/containers in your facility. A few hand tools would be good too. Depending on the products you have you might also want to consider keeping some grounding/bonding materials specifically for the Haz Mat team. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the input guys and gals! All of it helps. A buddy of mine told me about the "firefighters guide to haz-mat" book out there. That, plus the info you have given me will point me in the right direction. Thanks again.
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Thread Information