MembersZone Subscriber

Default Quesiton about Employment

I interviewed with this department back in January and got a call at the end of March saying that they were going to start my background check. I got through that, then the polygraph and phych test. Now, I recently did my physical and the doctor said I had a problem with high blood pressure. (i'm 19) So the department calls me back and asks me to go to my primary doctor and to get it checked out and that I need to hurry because the city is in a crunch and is going to need me pretty quickly. So I go to my doc and he puts me on the lowest doseage possible for a certain medication, tells me to change my diet and come back in two weeks. So I get home and call the city up and I tell them what happened and that he will want to check me up in two weeks. The HR department said okay, that they would get in contact with the doctor that did my physical and told me that if I dont hear from them, call them when I go back in for my physical.

I tell my parents what I said and they exploded on me, saying I was stupid for telling the HR department that I had to go back in in two weeks. Now, my parents feel that since I've waited so long, and since the dept is in a crunch, that maybe I wont get hired. But I have been told me members of the department that I've already basically been hired because I'm a medic and that since they only hire medics, that they are going to need me. Just a side note, they recently called up 20 more people to the agility because they are going to need people soon.

Anyway, my question is this: By telling them I have to go back in for a checkup in two weeks going to hurt my chances for a job?

My parents want me to call the HR department tomorrow and make sure I'm done with my physical, just to double check to see if I have anything left.

And could the fact that I have high blood pressure hurt my chance of getting hired?

Thanks for reading

Forum Member

Default BP-------

Whoooow. Slow down or it will elevate your blood pressure.

Has your BP been elevated in the past? If you went through medic school you would know this. You might have white coat symdrome. That's anytime you go into the doctors office to be evaluated your BP rises. Not uncommon. You get so concerned about passing this test your body goes into hyper mode.

It might have helped if on your original BP test that they let you rest a while in room away from the crown or go for a walk and retest. Consider excercising during this re evaluation period.

I've know candidates who have had this problem take a prescribed Valium before their next test.

MembersZone Subscriber

During Medic school.... all I remember was that the systolic was around 140 but when I had it taken at the physical, it was 160. But, even though I am a medic, I am deathly afraid of needles and I knew they were going to draw blood. Normally, I'm between 140-150 systolic. And by physical, I dont mean agility but as in Medical checkup

Im no expert, so please take my word at face value. Just relax. Most of the time, things that appear in the medical physical are used for you file. Basically, in your case if in twenty years you tried to collect disability from the FD because of high blood pressure, you would be disqualified because you had it when you entered.

I have worked with many firefighters who have entered with bad backs, high blood pressure and hang nails. WHat I have found is that most departments will take you even if you have some medical problems as long as they can be kept in check, ie medication.

So in my personal experiance, you will be fine. At any how, its a good thing that you find this out early, to ensure that it dosent become a problem in the future and cut your career short.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly you need to relax....I get yelled at durnign my post HAZMAT entry evals because my BP jumps about 20 points. But after I get time to relax a bit its back where it should be.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your help guys. Capt Bob, add another one to your list as that I got hired today

Forum Member

Default You got to love it!

Bravo! Congrats on the success in gaining your badge! Thank you for letting us know. We here by bestow upon you are badge number 2,176 in our program.

To help you get started in the academy and as a new rookie check out the New Firefighter section in the FREE 101 Inside Secrets here:
    http://eatstress.com/faq.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Captain Bob, I did some reading on your site about Age issues... Well here is a little about my story. I graduated high school at 17, turned 18 in the fire academy.... I was a National Registered Paramedic before I was 18. I turned 19 in April and got a job offer today.

Forum Member

Default Inspiration

This is an awesome story that will inspire many. Were you able to gain any experience as a medic within the year gap from completing school and getting the job offer?

Please call me at 888-238-3959.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Free Newsletter

JHR1985

Thank you for your kind words.

Anyone else can check out our FREE e-mail FireZine newsletter here:

http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-24-2004 at 11:27 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, in the period I didnt have a job, I worked as a apprentice plumber. I had to do a number of things for the city, and I was glad I didnt have a medic job because I probably would not have been able to get the needed time off to acomplish them

Thread Information