Forum Member

Lightbulb Apparatus Lettering

Here goes another request. Our Rescue/Engine is on the build line and we are looking for ideas in reference to the lettering. We have it mostly covered, however this truck will have high side rescue compartments on the truck body. We are looking at having something like Rescue - unit number - engine placed on this upper location. Just looking for ideas or even better photos of the different styles that people are using such as type of material (hopefully gold leaf) and styles of print.

Forum Member

Default howdy hi .........

check out www.northwoodfire.com and look at staion one units 806 and 801 ............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

My FD had some reflective lettering done by Graphic Arts department the technical high school in my community..refelctive gold with a reflective black surround.

Gold leaf is nice, but I would rather see something more important on a rig than high maintenance lettering.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-23-2004 at 07:58 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Tradition!

Capt Gonzo-
    I agree with you 100%!!!! Why spend mucho denero on something like gold leaf, when you can spend the money on hose, appliances, tools, etc. HOWEVER, one thing that (IMHO) the Fire Service can not afford to lose any more of, is TRADITION. For as long as there has been apparatus, whether they be hand-drawn, horse drawn, gasoline driven or even modern day diesel apparatus, we have had gold leaf adorning our rigs. I know of some FDNY companies that even use their own house monies to have their rigs decorated with gold leaf!

In modern times, there is a new product that can still provide the traditional gold leaf look, but yet is economically feasable- Pre made gold leaf lettering with a layer of clear vinyl overlay. When I restored my 1958 FWD, I chose a product called "Smartgold", made by Leo's Gold Lion Products, in Texas. See www.lionet.com A fantastic product at extremely reasonable prices, and you can apply it to the vehicle yourself!

Be safe out there lads!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I don't think the product we used on our older trucks is true gold leaf. I think it is called engine turn or something similar to that. It is gold, however I don't think it's quite as expensive. The way our current trucks are set up is with the department name in Gold with a unit number in gold as well. It also has a thin gold border where the red meets the white on the cab. Not extremely large and not as costly as some things. As far as cost, when we bid the truck, all equipment was included and the graphics are part of the package. It's now up to us to come up with what looks really good. I really don't mind scotchlite, I just wasn't sure how it would look on a stainless panel vs. a painted one. I think I prefer the look of scotchlite myself, however I was hoping somebody might have a pic of the lettering on those high side compartments in gold. The link earlier showed almost exactly what we are looking at as far as size and such. Nice looking trucks and some bad wrecks lately!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Tallyho74
    such as type of material (hopefully gold leaf)
    I really don't mind scotchlite, I just wasn't sure how it would look on a stainless panel vs. a painted one. I think I prefer the look of scotchlite myself,
    Now - you don't have to settle - take a look at a new product on the market called "Reflective Smart Gold"
    http://www.lionet.com/company_info/samples/vleaf2.htm
    http://www.lionet.com/company_info/p...matoptions.htm

If I had known about this (and it was even available) back in 02' or '03 when we did our newest Ambulance and Response Unit - I would have used this stuff instead.

*Disclaimer* - I do not in any way, shape, form, or fashion benefit from the sale or use of any product mentioned in this post
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Default Pretty Cool Stuff

Check these guys out........

http://www.grafixshoppe.com/galryfire1.htm

Pretty neat stuff.

Stay safe and good fishing!

Fish

I think it is called engine turn or something similar to that.
    "Engine Turn" is the swirl effect put onto metals, gold leaf, etc.

If you do a search on Google Images for "Engine Turn" you can find alot of different designs made with it.

Forum Member

The link earlier showed almost exactly what we are looking at as far as size and such. Nice looking trucks and some bad wrecks lately!!!
    We like the look of the trucks too. Actually, on 801, we just did all of that striping within the last few years, as the truck was very plain when it was purchased. I will try to find one of my older pictures of it to compare.

As far as the wrecks, yes we get some that look pretty bad, but we actually have some sort of protective bubble over our city, because people usually sign AMA or have very minor injuries. Actually there were a couple other ones more recently, but our webmaster has been slacking a lot!!!!!!!

Forum Member

OK Here are the before and after pictures of our engine.......

BEFORE

OK I couldn't get the link for the before pic, so go to THIS PAGE and scroll down and click on the thumbnail of 801......

and

AFTER
    Last edited by firenresq77; 06-27-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Forum Member

We got all of our decals from Bad Brush Design here in the Toledo, OH area. Give them a call or email them and Jeff will get you prices. All of our lettering is DOT Reflective. I believe the FIRE/RESCUE decal cost us like $160 or so and we applied it ourselves.

Forum Member

Click here for pic of our Engine

Reflective striping pic

Lettering is Sign Gold, similar to Smart Gold, looks slightly different. Striping is all vinyl, with the black being reflective. It was all done at the factory. The nice thing about all vinyl is that its cheap and easy to repair.

More pics here
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

The Trumball unit was very nice. The striping on the side lit up really well! A little off topic however I scrolled through some of your photos and noticed your pump panel will be set up very close to what upcoming engine will be like. We have a 2001 Engine and Ladder with Hale pumps and T handles and they havn't worked out the best so on this truck, we are switching to geared wheels. How do you like the wheels? Also, great idea having an oil dry hopper! Beats the heck out of peat moss in a garbage can that were using now!!!! Thanks for the great ideas so far, they look really good. We actually had one of our guys show a code 3 truck from Kentland, MD that was set up really well with the [B]Rescue [B]33Engine and it looked really nice. Keep up the good feedback and again, thanks for the ideas!

Forum Member

We have a 2001 Engine and Ladder with Hale pumps and T handles and they havn't worked out the best so on this truck, we are switching to geared wheels. How do you like the wheels? Also, great idea having an oil dry hopper!
    Handwheels are great compared to the "T" handles. All of our operators seem to really like them. They are easy to use, easy to gate back and virtually eliminate water hammer issues.

The speedy dry hopper is one of the things we use the most. It holds about 5-6 bags.

Take care.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Thread Information