View Poll Results: Can you (as explores) respond to calls?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only in are POV's

3 15.79%
  • yes, only on the apparatuses

9 47.37%
  • no, not at all

7 36.84%
  • othere

2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Need advice

Forum Member

Unhappy Need advice

Ok I donít know if this has been brought up before but from what I read most of your explores post are able to ride along or able to respond to incidence in some way or another. Unlike my explore post, we cannot respond to anything unless we are to come across it off duty. The majority of the explores are CFRís so its not like we are not qualified to go. Compared to many of the FF we actually have a higher EMS qualification. Ok I am ranting a little but I have been to multiple MVA's and have been able to do some good I donít understand why they wont even look into the matter. Ok you can read my frustration any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch and sorry for the ranting

Forum Member

When I was a junior,Which I was the only one during that period of time...I had to go to the station and ride on the apparatus...Couldn't ride first due on house fires but they dont happen very much so I rode first due on pretty much every call we had....Only exception to going to the station is the odd medical where you have to pass the scene to get to there
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

thanks

HNFC FF/President

we ride the apparatus if a driver is available to take it.

If not...and a FF1 is at station, then we can jump in his POV and go. Even if we have to pass the scene (which i've done before) we still have to go to the station and grab our gear, none of this *station phone rings* "oh, i'm at the scene, bring my gear for me"
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

All Explorers respond to the station first, no straight to the scene unless you happen to have a family member who is a FF driving you.

Once you get to the station, you ride the apparatus to the scene.

If you get there and there is no apparatus to ride, and there is a good reason to be at the scene, and you ask a FF, then you can go to the scene pov. Fortunatly, that never happens! Which I am glad about... but I won't go there.

So yeah, straight to the station, unless those variants take hold.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Ok I donít know if this has been brought up before
    BWAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHA!!!!!!!

Anyway......DO NOT worry about not being able to respond to calls. Contrarey to what you may think.......you will NOT die if you cant respond. There will be a torrmorrow and other fires. I used to get so ****ed off at my adviseors for not letting us go on calls. But then when I moved on and started going on calls at all hours of the morning at 10 degrees when you have to be up for a college lecture in the morning....the glamour wears fast.And I never relized what a HUGE liability explorers were on a fire ground till I went to a nieghborings towns fire one night.

There probally is a reason why you cant go. And in that reason I bet the words our liability and YOUR SAFETY run rampet.
    Last edited by stm4710; 06-23-2004 at 10:54 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

My department the Juniors or cadets as we call them are not allowed to respond to calls. We get full turnout gear but dont get a real helmet or boots. Some of us are training with our future company as well and some of the officers tell us to come down for trainings, calls, and meetings. Me personally, I respond to calls and take care of the paperwork and the station while they are gone if I can. The only thing is I dont have a pager(No cadet does) so I have a base station scanner(a old Plectron) and listen in and respond when I can. No On Scene Calls For Me.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

We don't have explorers, but all of our juniors(at this time, me) are permitted to ride on apparatus only. I checked POV as well, though, because my father is captain and has an emergency vehicle. In the back we both have a set of gear and an airpack(amongst other things). So if something goes down while I'm at home with him and he chooses to go the scene instead of the station, I go with him. But if I'm on my own, it's responding from the station on apparatus only.

As a matter of fact, our department has a rule that no firefighter, unless you're an officer can respond to the scene directly. If you pass it and you're the first FF there, then you can stop, or if you're instructed to be an officer/senior firefighter. Otherwise, directly to the station. Also, there are no blue lights permitted in our department, whether it be to the station or POV. Only officers are permitted to have lights, and everyone captain and above has red lights and sirens.

And I'll tell you one thing: Not having blue lights on regular member's cars has not slowed our response time a second. As a matter of fact, our response time has gone down since we implemented the rule.

I must say, I feel sorry for you not being able to go to calls. I have a lot of fun and learn a lot more than I do at drill nights. We've never had a problem because our juniors are always supervised by an officer or senior firefighter. I've gotten some decent action(for a junior). Though, there are times I get stuck holding three portable radios and following the Chief around. Not fun, but then again, I've learned a lot about resource management and met a lot of the guys who run mutual aid w/ us.

Forum Member

As explorers we are only allowed to respond to calls, when we are in the station on a rideout or when the officer tells you to jump on.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

stm4710

I was wondering what you meant about the explorer being a liability on the fireground? I know what you meant but was wondering what the story is behind it? I am an explorer on a full time department and we are not allowed to really do anything on calls, especially fires, (makes sense considering it is a FULL-TIME department doesn't it? ), if we catch something on a ride-along, we stay with the driver at the pump panel or stay within reach of the rig so you are accounted for if not told to stick with somebody. In the year since we have been able to do ride-alongs I don't think anybody has really been to anything more than a garbage can or field fire. We have had problems with stupid things other explorers have done, such as going to a ride-along and taking a nap or correcting guys on the language they should be using, seems like those are good ways to get captains to not let us ride with their company.

Anyways, now that I'm done rambling (for now), just wanted to know what the story was and also if it is a full-time or volunteer department that the kid was on, that seems to be a big factor in what explorers can or cannot do.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Red face We don't respond

Our sop's state if an explorer shows up at the station or at a scene, we will be immediately removed from the post.

Forum Member

Default Re: We don't respond

Originally posted by ffexpCP
    Our sop's state if an explorer shows up at the station or at a scene, we will be immediately removed from the post.

you mean you canít even go to like a structure fire as a civilian or you are kicked off the post we are at least allowed to do that but we cant do anything once we are there all we can do id just watch are we have to follow all of the trafic laws on are way there.

I think what ffexpCP is getting at is that if the show up "On" the scene as a member of their post, or go to the station....

They can't stop you from being a civilian and standing behind the yellow tape. There is nothing they can do about it.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

ok thats what i thought thanks for everyones input it is really helpful

Thread Information