Forum Member

Default Do you have a winch?

Do you have a winch mounted on your rescue vehicle?

If so, what capacity does it have and how is it powered?

How many snatch blocks do you have to use with the wire rope of the winch?
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

We have a 8000 lb. hitch-mounted winch on our Mini-Pumper. We have receivers on the front and rear of the vehicle......

dazed and confused

Originally posted by firenresq77
    We have a 8000 lb. hitch-mounted winch on our Mini-Pumper. We have receivers on the front and rear of the vehicle......
    Ditto on both, x 2. Rescue-Engine also has side mount receiver hitches. I believe we only have 1 block per winch.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

FIGJAM

The Service I used to belong to went through a huge upgrade in their trucks (F350's & F450's) but did not spec winches into them

We only had the tirfor and the small masdaam puller which is a real shame.

We can't rely on the tow companies as they're not allowed near the accdient until called. (Police will issue fines to any tow company that arrives at the scene or is seen within in XX kilometres of the scene, without being called) This slows down their response time dramatically...
    Luke

Forum Member

We have a 10,000 lb winch on the front bumper of our rescue/engine. We didnt get any snatch blocks because there was the concern that they would be improperly used and overload the wire rope. A training issue I know but it makes life easier. That and the towing companies are usually there pretty quick.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

we dont gotta notta..............if need be we would call '77's department and hope that 806 will be good to go ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

WE have winches mounted on our rescue, mini pumper, and 2 brush jeeps. Not sure on capacity, we only have one snatch block, its on the rescue, we never use it though. The only time I seen our Rescue use the winch is when it got stuck.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Default Blocks overloading rope?

L2Capt,Shawn you might want to rethink that one.And you might try to convince the powers to be of the value of BRR.I think my last group of trainees will attest to the power of the snatch block.In fact,I'd bet a few of them are going to win a steak dinner or two as a result of their participation.T.C.

Forum Member

Default Re: Blocks overloading rope?

Originally posted by Rescue101
    L2Capt,Shawn you might want to rethink that one.And you might try to convince the powers to be of the value of BRR.I think my last group of trainees will attest to the power of the snatch block.In fact,I'd bet a few of them are going to win a steak dinner or two as a result of their participation.T.C.
    I will take that back, I just found the block on the rescue last night. But I think, based on the width of the sheave, it is for our chain come alongs. I could be wrong though.
    The block we do have doesnt get much use though, obviously!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

We have a 12k Ramsey with couple of blocks on Ford 450 Rescue truck. I Could not imagine working with a winch and not have blocks.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

I'll agree, snatch blocks are necessary to provide effective winching. What is the WLL for your blocks?
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

On both of my dad's departments heavy rescues, they have a front winch, winch on either side, and one on the rear. I'll have to look up the capacity.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Our new rescue will have one winch that is mounted so that it can be moved to receivers (much like a Reese Hitch) on at least the sides and back (and I think the front) of the rig. The winch is 12VDC electrical with quick-connect plugs at each receiver.

We had a discussion about snatch blocks recently and I believe we will have one. Not as much for the purpose of developing extra leverage, but more for the unusual case where we need to change the angle of the cable so as to maintain a 90 degree angle with the receiver on the rig.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Richard,Please give serious consideration to getting two.It allows you the freedom to do so much more and they aren't that expensive for that size winch. T.C.

Forum Member

We have a truck mounted 12K# Ramsey with ramsey bumper and a 8K# truck mounted with just regular bumper, winch mount and brush guard. If my memory serves me right, we have 2 recovery grade snatch blocks per truck. If you want to consider this, we have a wrecker and a Roll-back also. Three of us on the dept also drive for the local wrecker service part time, and the wrecker service is the Highway Patrol's "roation" for our area. So wherever we go, he goes, unless it involves a heavy rig.
    Last edited by HFRH28; 12-08-2004 at 08:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

12K Ramsey (rated) on Rescue. We have 2 snatch blocks for multiplying force and change of direction. One of the problems to watch for with an electric winch is the required amp draw at full capacity (far exceeded the capacity of the electrical system) and for any winch the fact that its rated capacity is only with one layer of wire rope on the drum. The snatch blocks allow some more capacity and flexibility to change direction.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

We have a 12,000 lb on our rescue truck (electric), one 12,000 lb our brush truck (electric), and PTO powered on our 6 X 6. No snatch blocks.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

A winch without snatch blocks is kinda like a human in the Artic,or Desert with no foot gear. Compromised!Any vehicle sporting a winch should have at least TWO snatch blocks for all the reasons listed previously.And the training to go with it. T.C.

Forum Member

My Department has a winch on our Squad truck, which responds to all MVI's, i am unsure of the wieght on that winch though.

Forum Member

Ok, hopefully you've got some snatch blocks. What is the sheave pitch diameter of them? Does it maintain a minimum of a 12:1 D/d ratio?

Also, what is the WLL of the winch's wire rope? That may surprise you, and limit your winch capacity if you choose to establish some sort of safety parameter for the strength of the wire rope.
    BIG RIG RESCUE

MembersZone Subscriber

It is interesting to find out a few things from a professional in the field. We have a relationship with a reputable heavy duty wrecker company. They put us in touch with their equipment supplier who inspected our rig, asked how we wanted to use it and recommended supplies. The first thing he recommended we replace was the brand new cable and hook. He pointed out the cheap quality and the poor splice and lack of a swivel on the hook. Aside from actually understanding the winch operation we got quality equipment at a price suitable for tow guys and not with the magic "rescue" price hike.

Forum Member

You would be surprised to learn how few are knowledgable about winching operations related to rescue.
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

You would also be surprised how little people know about winching operations in general. For example, the line pull rating of the winch is based on the first layer of wire rope on the drum (not counting the 3-5 safety wraps). Each additional layer of wire rope added to the drum decreases the line pull capacity of the winch. For example, a towing operator has an 8,000 lb. winch with 100 feet of 3/8" wire rope. If he uses 50 feet of the wire rope, it leaves just two layers of wire rope on the winch drum making the line pull capacity 6,700 lbs. However if he uses only 15 feet of wire rope it leaves 3 layers of wire rope on the drum, making the line pull capacity just 5,000 lbs. For this reason, you may see towing operators who only have 25’ to 50’ of line length so that they can have the rated pulling strength even with very little cable pulled.

Forum Member

Exactly, as the winch drum collects the wire rope the pulling capability will decrease. Also, I'd suggest investigating the actual breaking strength of the wire rope on your winch AND ask the manufacturer what the WLL of the wire rope is. You may be surprised.
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

That's true if the Tow operator is using a center driven winch.However if the operator is using an older Holmes winch on a 750,850,1601 or 1701 the rules change.These are PERIMETER driven winches and maintain upwards of 80% capacity even with a full drum.One of the reasons they are a favorite still with established companies that have been around a while and that do a lot of heavy winching.These units have lineage dating back to the 50's yet modern equipment is still compared to them,IE pulls twice as much as a 750,pulls the same as a 750.In it's time the 750 Holmes set the "benchmark"on performance in heavy duty towing.And there are still a great many doing service across the country.Todays new planetary heavy winches are fast and powerful.But the old 750 still has a place when you need pure brute winching power. T.C.

Thread Information