Thread: dish soap

Forum Member

Default dish soap

have u herd any one say dish soap or detergent can be used as retatdant or fire suppressant what kind? could a truck be filled with it? how much would u use and could it extinguish liquids?

Forum Member

Weren't you here before and didn't you have this go 'round before??
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

I've heard of it used as an economy foam. Pour dish soap in the water and it can have a similar effect as foam. Unfortunately, the 'grease cutting' power of the dish soap tends to cut the grease on the pumps
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Wouldn't that be the same as "wet water". We've been using it here for years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dish soap is cheap, but AFFF it aint.

Anything that breaks the surface tension of the water works just fine as a penetrating agent so long as it isn't toxic, doesn't corrode or gum up the pump or extinguisher, and doesent burn (duh!).
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

abdulcroft, please excuse Pfires rude comment,for you were just looking for advice.

We use dish soap in out 2.5 gallon water cans as a surficant. I have notices through trial and error that the cheaper the soap is better. It has less perfumes and hand softeners.
    Last edited by stm4710; 06-26-2004 at 11:57 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

We buy our Class A foam for about $50/5 gallon pail on the state bid.

That $10/gallon.

Just googled and found Ajax @ Walgreens listed for $0.08/oz...128 oz/gallon, that's $10.25.

If you just need a little for shooting in pw cans, or in indian tanks, it's probably just as fine. That's what we used to do before Class A became common. How much? "A good squeeze" is fine

If you're using a lot, like a tank load, might as well get the right stuff. Typical Class A foam usage is 3/10ths of a percent -- 3 gallons to a 1000 gallon tank if you're batch mixing it like that.

If you do batch mix, be prepared for the "blob" of bubbles that will overflow from the tank next time it's filled!

If you're using an old Class B eductor, they usually don't go that low. We have one on our backup attack truck (it's a 1978 Int'l) -- keep the eductor set to 3% and have an empty bucket -- pour in 1 part foam, 10 parts water and educt that -- 3% of 10% is 0.3%.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    abdulcroft, please excuse Pfires rude comment,for you were just looking for advice.
    Jesse, I certainly do NOT need you making apologies for me. I wasn't being rude, I was stating a fact and I will do a search to prove to your small little mind that this was INDEED discussed before and there's more to it if my memory serves. Please, don't ever presume to speak for me again Jesse, I'm more than capable of speaking for myself. IF and when I deem an apology necessary I do have the vocabulary skills necessary to deliver it myself.

Furthermore, I distinctly remember a guy posting on this topic quite some time ago. It became quite the poo storm, the thread was locked (or deleted), and the user was temporarily/no longer active; the post originator from this one also spent some time in the chat trying to find support for what he was peddling AND his original post started out in the same manner. Just looked awfully familiar, typing, wording, screen name, topic, etc.
    Last edited by PFire23; 06-27-2004 at 12:43 AM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

PFire it seems so far this person just asked an innocent question. If this post goes south let the webteam worry about it, until then lets just have a disscusion where a person looking for info gets it. Grant it I jump on people every now and again but this seems to be an info exchange not a bash thread.

Forum Member

I understand that MEck, I may have jumped the gun but I have a memory like a freaken elephant and I know this was discussed before but I can't find the thread.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Default dish soap

have u herd any one say dish soap can be used on liquids?

Forum Member

Default Re: dish soap

Originally posted by abdulcroft
    have u herd any one say dish soap can be used on liquids?
    Duh, nope I ain't herd dat...but sniffin 2 much dish soap can cause ur brain to loose its spellin abillity...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Golly, Gonz and Abdulcroft sound like Explorers.

Forum Member

Originally posted by 42VTExplorer
    Golly, Gonz and Abdulcroft sound like Explorers.

It's like Carl Spackler the groundskeeper in "Caddyshack"...
    "if you want to kill a gopher, you have to think like a gopher"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

"if you want to kill a gopher, you have to think like a gopher"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Wink Another one goes sideways ..........

first the Moose and now the gopher .........another perfectly good hijacked thread !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Gonz, I hate to correct you but as the self-proclaimed king of all movie trivia, I find it necessary to do so. For the record, the assistant greenskeeper played by Bill Murray in the 1980 feature film "Caddyshack" was named Carl Spangler, not Spackler. Thank-you for your cooperation and we now return all posters to their regularly-scheduled thread. BTW, we use a small measuring cup to add a little AFFF to our 2-1/2 gal. pressurized water extinguishers. "In order to defeat a varmint, you have to think like a varmint, and whenever possible, to look like one."
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

Originally posted by lieutleroy140
    Gonz, I hate to correct you but as the self-proclaimed king of all movie trivia, I find it necessary to do so. For the record, the assistant greenskeeper played by Bill Murray in the 1980 feature film "Caddyshack" was named Carl Spangler, not Spackler. Thank-you for your cooperation and we now return all posters to their regularly-scheduled thread. BTW, we use a small measuring cup to add a little AFFF to our 2-1/2 gal. pressurized water extinguishers. "In order to defeat a varmint, you have to think like a varmint, and whenever possible, to look like one."
    no problem... I can't be right all the time! LOL

PS: I don't make mistakes... if i do, they are big honking errors!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information