Thread: Fire Gels

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Gels

Been seeing a lot of these lately. I have no doubt they work and I have done my best to mess with it.

At the convention I just went to there were to kinds, Thermo Gel, and a Powder sort. I wish I could remember what the powder brand was, anybody?

The thermo gel guys had a wooden prop, esentialy a door with a window in it. They let me gell it and then handed me a propane torch.

I must have tried to get it to burn for 20 minutes to no avail that gel realy does block the heat. I put some on my finger and stuck it in the flame, nothing, but I did singe the hair off my hand.

We are convinced, we want to get some before wildfire season, but we dont know which brand to go with.

Thermo Gel was great, but you have to put it in at the nozzle, which is a pain in the rear IMO.

The powder guy said you can batch mix his stuff. Just dump a measured amount of powder into the tank and it will pump out just fine. The thermo gel guy said only do that if you like to take the tank lid off and clean it out by hand. The powder guy said that was because the guys that had to do that put in WAY to much.

Barricade is out. It didnt pass the USFS tast test and is reported to ruin vinil siding, wood decks, etc...

I am leaning to the powder, it is corn starch based, not a polymer so it is more bio degradeable and does not realy need any clean up, just let it dry up and blow away.

I wish I could remmeber what brand the powder was, forgot to grab the info before I left, anybody know what I am talking about?

So, what have you used, experiences, reviews, etc...

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this will ring a bell.

http://www.thermogel.com/

It is realy slimy goop, will not burn, seals off whatever you put it on, it works...

Its relatively expensive...

But its cheaper then homes and such.

Any slimers out there?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Thread Information