MembersZone Subscriber

Default Booster Line Nozzles

I am full of questions today.

Looking for recomendations on 1" booster line nozzles.

We want something that can work on wildfires and then be used for other fires, IE car/trash fires. USFS forestry nozzles just dont cut the mustard.

So, variable GPM would be good.

How are POK nozzles, never used one, are they good, they seem cheaper.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

dazed and confused

We run POK nozzles on our big CAFS truck's lines. They're all smoothbores, so I can't speak for combination-styles.

They work well and have held up well.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

IACOJ BOD

All of our High Pressure ("Booster") lines run Elkhart variable branches (nozzles), used for Forestry, Vehicle, and search lines at structural fires.

Fog to straight stream, with variable GPM selector would be your most versatile combination.

Found this link for you Elkhart .

Look at the SFS-G model.

I would reccomend the pistol grip for ease of use especially in long jobs such as forestry work.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

I wouldn't use a booster line for a car fire or any type of vehicle fire. Booster doesn't give you enough GPM. NFPA suggested minimum of 125 gpm for vehicle fires is the standard for our department. You really need enough gpm to protect you and extinguish the fire.

Forum Member

We've got a 1" booster line on our bush truck. It works pretty well for those someone-was-to-stupid-to-use-their-ash-try-side-of-the-road-fires.

We've got a simple pistol grip with a ball valve attached to a standard 1-1/2 forestry nozzle. This seems to work pretty good for us as it provides enough agitation for the foam system to work nicely while provided half-decent reach on straight stream along with a good fog pattern if needed.

We used to run with a standard 1-1/2 nozzle (an old Elkhart); but that didn't work to well. The 1" line couldn't deliver enough volume for any of the settings on the nozzle to have any real effect, or reach. The pump on our bush truck puts out 150pgm @ 100 psi. I've done bush fires and vehicle fires with it. It wouldn't be my first choice for an attack line, but when flowing nice foam it would be great for anything else (especially an exposure line).

The truck itself wasn't designed with structural firefighting in mind. It is, however, a good bush truck capable of moving half-decent amounts of water and especially good any pulling water from even the shallowest of puddles
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by jmichael
    I wouldn't use a booster line for a car fire or any type of vehicle fire. Booster doesn't give you enough GPM. NFPA suggested minimum of 125 gpm for vehicle fires is the standard for our department. You really need enough gpm to protect you and extinguish the fire.
    I should give some background of our district.

730 square miles or rolling eastern Montana hills, sage brush, scattered stands of pine, grass, oil fields.

0 Hydrants.

28 FFs.

1 pumper of 1000 GPM that mostly stays at the hall since it cant go off road, is slow, and has no pump and roll capability.

2 Tenders, one 4500 Gallons, one 1200 Gallons, more on Mutual aid.

2 Type 3s on International 4x4 Chassis, one with CAFS, 500 and 800 Gallons.

9 Brush trucks of various quality/capability.

The 1" booster line is our bread and butter. We have dozens of running wildfires each summer. The booster line is the weapon of choice for these. You cant pull cloath line off and on fast enough to catch one of these. We are starting to incorporate remote control wildland monitors as well, they seem slick.

Obviously our water supply is not spectacular. We can flow 250 GPM within about 10 miles of the town/fire hall. It drops off fast after that. Either the miles are to great, the tenders cant get to where they need to be, or the water supply fill stations are poor.

It would be nice to go 125 gpm minimum on everything, but sometimes we are limited to <10 gpm on a wildfire!!!

We use our brush truck fleet for nearly all vehicle fires. They are scattered around the district and simply get there first. We have to many miles to cover with our 55 MPH pumper. Our F550 brush truck will do well over the posted speed limits and that counts for semething when your district takes over an hour to cross at best speed.

We use the 1" line with good effect on vehicle fires. IIRC most of our nozzles are automaticaly varialbe GPM units. Wrap out the pump and you are getting 75 gpm or so with Class A foam. That has gotten out most of our fires, and at that flow you only have 3-5 minutes of water anyway with no more coming. Better make it count.

While I wouldnt recomend it, we have by neccesity used 1" lines at structure fires for attack. Make sure you aim good!!!

So you see, selection of a good 1" nozzle is of great importance to our rural VFD. It is our most used weapon for a number of reasons.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member

We have used POKs on one of our brush rigs for the past two years. They have worked well for us. I just put a new Akron (model 1702...I think) on one of the other trucks about a month ago. I actually think that the POK is put together a bit better, although we have used Akron and a few TFTs for many years with few complaints. In my opinion for the 30-50 calls we run a year I think that our money may be best spent on the cheeper POKs for our 1" boosters. However, when we start to look at 2 1/2" nozzles I do not like the looks of the POKs, we will stick with Akron or TFT on them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    All of our High Pressure ("Booster") lines run Elkhart variable branches (nozzles), used for Forestry, Vehicle, and search lines at structural fires.

Fog to straight stream, with variable GPM selector would be your most versatile combination.

Found this link for you Elkhart .

Look at the SFS-G model.

I would reccomend the pistol grip for ease of use especially in long jobs such as forestry work.
    That one looks pretty good, though I wish there was a 70+ gpm setting.

Thanks for the link.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by toddman
    We have used POKs on one of our brush rigs for the past two years. They have worked well for us. I just put a new Akron (model 1702...I think) on one of the other trucks about a month ago. I actually think that the POK is put together a bit better, although we have used Akron and a few TFTs for many years with few complaints. In my opinion for the 30-50 calls we run a year I think that our money may be best spent on the cheeper POKs for our 1" boosters. However, when we start to look at 2 1/2" nozzles I do not like the looks of the POKs, we will stick with Akron or TFT on them.
    I have heard good things about POK, but I have never used one. They are more afordable which suprises me when you say they seem to be built better.

There are a ton of them out there, I will have to look into them.

I think I would like one that has manualy adjustable gallonage and operates around 100 psi. 10 gpm to around 75 gpm would be ideal, pistol grip for sure.

I agree that they big water nozzles are kind of strange. We have TFT 1.5 and 2.5 combination nozzles and they seem just fine. We also have a few 1.5 smoothbores form TFT IIRC, those are a blast to run but they eat up the water supply damn fast! They go on the CAFS unit which can realy put down a blanket.

Forum Member

Look in to Cordova. They make a nice break apart so you can switch from a combi to a double stack smooth bore - the double stack has garden hose thread on it just like the forestry tips. And unlike POK , they are made here in America.

Thread Information