Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default 14th Annual 24hr Relay Race

Almost $500,000 raised by 24-hour relay

Times Colonist June 28, 2004

Organizers of the 24-hour relay, held over the weekend, announced the event raised more than $482,000 this year, bringing their total money raised to more than $4 million since it began in 1994.

Money from the annual event, which was held over the weekend at the University of Victoria's Centennial Stadium, is used to help send disabled children to Easter Seals camp. Starting Saturday at 10 a.m. and going into Sunday morning, participants completed several laps of a three-mile track over the course of the relay. Sixty-six teams of 25 people or more participated in this year's relay.

The top team for this year was the Thrifty Foods team, which raised $78,000 in donations. The Thrifty team were also the top money raisers in 2003. Teams participating continue raising money throughout the years using events like car washes, bake sales and silent auctions.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2004

The radio reported that several of the teams donated their "winnings" the family that nearly lost their lives in the MVA we had a few weeks ago. One team was actually made up with some of the Heros who assisted in the saving of the family. I apologize for not being able to remember the team name. My hat is off to those who participated in this event.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Just in reference to our last couple of serious MVA's, this is one persons "Letter to the Editor". I think the last line about sums it up.

LETTERS
    Letters | Send a letter to the editor

Welcome. Times Colonist 7-day subscribers get complete access to timescolonist.com as part of their subscription. Register now to activate your subscriber exclusive access. When you register, your name is automatically entered into the draw for a Compaq Presario laptop computer and weekly prizes of $200 in gas coupons.

Non 7-day subscribers have full access to the website until September 9, 2004. Register today for your chance to win!
    Enjoy the view but watch the road

Times Colonist June 28, 2004

The Malahat is indeed a natural jewel.

I was also stuck there the past Thursday due to another horrendous and stupid accident. The Alps and the Pyrenees are way more dangerous than the Malahat. We don't need another Malahat highway, at a tremendous cost, only to have crazies driving faster and tailgaters closing in. We do need to educate a few drivers. That's all

Relax and enjoy the scenery. Be alive and let live !

Kim Amorim,

East Sooke.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2004
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Everyone that I meet, when I tell them I live on the Malahat, say that it must be dangerous to drive over the mountain (most of us locals simply call it "the hill") to get to work everyday. I keep telling people that the highway is perfectly safe and has some of the best views on the island. It isn't the highway, itís the way that people drive it.

Two-7 and I have discussed this a few times and we both agree that people are driving way to fast. So I decided to put the "driving to fast" theory to test on Friday, June 25th. I drove from Goldstream Provincial Park (were it widens to two lanes) to Whittaker Road, give or take about half of our fire protection district (not exactly, but geographically close).

~ I drove at 95 KM/h along the entire stretch of highway. (That is 15 KM/h above the speed limit in most spots and 25 KM/h above the speed limit in others)
    ~ I passed 1 (one) vehicle
    ~ I was passed 28 (twenty-eight) times
    ~ I had 3 (three) people flash me their high-beams while tailgating me
    ~ The entire trip took me less than 15 minutes

Incidentally enough, the majority of the major accidents this year have happened on relatively straight sections of the highway. I guess it is no wonder that the RCMP were out in force over the weekend. I bet they went through a lot of black pens and ticket books!
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

HA HA HA on being passed, but that is not all humour there. It sucks when you know you are doing well over the posted limit, and still get passed by not one or two cars, but better than 10. I still can't get those persons who insist on flashing high beams when they are already wwaaayyy over the speed limit. How freak'n fast do you need to be going PEOPLE????

Thread Information