Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Breaking News In Texas - 28 June

I was just watching the news on TV and they reported that a freight train has derailed in Bexar County, Texas - somewhere near San Antonio. Apparently there is now a chlorine (I think is what she said) gas leak happening.

Also apparently you guys are suffering a flood down in that area too? WOW

Good luck and God Bless to the crews in the area!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

former FH.com member

Lightbulb you know what they say...

When it rains...it pours. Here's the scoop on the wreck.-46

Freight train derailment, chlorine spill
    Updated: 6/28/2004 2:08 PM
    By: News 9 San Antonio Staff

A train engineer died in a freight train collision and at least 20 people were taken to Willford Hall Medcial Center. Two other bodies also were found in a home near the accident, but their deaths have not been associated with the accident.

The collision occurred after 5 a.m. Monday between Loops 1604 and 410 near Nelson Road in Southwest San Antonio, when a Union Pacific train collided with a Burlington Northern Santa Fe train.

The Union Pacific train carried chlorine and ammonia nitrate. When the trains derailed, the chemicals spilled.

Authorities said about 40 cars from both trains fell off the tracks during the collision. One of the train cars caught fire, sending a cloud of smoke mixed with the chemicals into the air.

Bexar County Sheriff's deputies did evacuate some homes in the area and many safety crews were on the scene.

Experts advise residents keep their windows and doors shut because the fumes can be toxic.

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck

Experts advise residents keep their windows and doors shut because the fumes can be toxic.

Correct me if I am wrong... but a standard constructed home is not really very proof against airborne pathogens, lacking that airtight NBC quality so near and dear to the Army Geek way of Life. I have yet to enter a home that gives me that ear popping equalization feeling in my head.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

former FH.com member

Well, from what I understand most of the cloud has dissipated, this may just be a way for officials to keep onlookers from coming to get a "closer look". There is an investigation underway involving multiple agencies and I'm sure the wreck site itself is still pretty hazardous. -46

Judging by the video, this event is nasty enough without the added 'spice' of spilled chemicals. Aside from those who have already passed on because of what happened, I wish well to the responding crews, Stay Safe Y'all!

We have trains that travel through our district, through some pretty much inaccessble terrain, if there was a derailment there, we do not have the resources either locally or nearby to do much except stand and watch. The nearest HAZMAT crew is here on the base, about 20 miles south of "Home", but they charge big $$'s to attend. The "free guys" are in Vancouver, a minimum 40 - 60 minute drive, PLUS a 90 minute ferry ride (during regular operating schedules - last ferry in summer is 2200hrs).

Default Re: you know what they say...

Two other bodies also were found in a home near the accident, but their deaths have not been associated with the accident.
    Thats a hell of a coincidence.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

What a terrible tradgedy.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

SAFD46Truck

I have some questions for you about SAFD. If you could please e-mail me. I am going down there in a few weeks to visit family, I would like some information.

crisb1419@yahoo.com

Thanks

I didn't hear about this until later in the morning. Our electricity was out due to the storm. I saw that later, around noon or so, they had at least 20 FD units out there. My station/crew should have been there since it is just out of our still alarm area. I've been on vacation so I was not on duty. At least HAZMAT didn't have too far to go to get there. Unfortunatly I missed the news again tonight, but I'm sure I'll get all the details when I go back to work Wednesday. That really is a shame about the 2 people in the house.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

former FH.com member

Default Re: Re: you know what they say...

Originally posted by nmfire

Thats a hell of a coincidence.
    Actually, you are correct nm. The two civilian fatalities have now been attributed to exposure to the toxic cloud. Very sad. -46

Thread Information