Thread: Eating Healthy

Forum Member

Question Eating Healthy

I know its probally been discussed before but does anyone have suggustions for eating healthy? What to avoid and what is okay, I've heard so much about carbs and atkins what is the real deal?
    Trying to take off a little weight but definatly need to change some bad eating habits.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it comes from a fast food resturant, don't eat it.

In regards to carbs, I would suggest getting a book, or list (you can find it on the internet) of the Glycmic (sp?) Index of various foods. This index tells you how quickly the body metabolize the carb into sugar for energy. The lower the number the better.

However, the best thing you can do is make a log of what you eat and when you eat it for at least a week (or longer). You will probably be surpised how much you do eat.

From this you can determine if you are eating too much or too little. The basic formula is still the same, if calories in subtracted from calories out is a negative number, you will loose weight.

Be careful however, if you eat to little, you body will go in stavation mode and slow down its metabolism. You will need to determine how many calories you need on a daily basis. Then subtract the 500 calories for each pound per week you want to loose (try not to loose more that 3 pounds per week).

I do have some additional information. PM me and I will help you if you want.

subway is the healthier of fast foods if you HAVE to eat fast food,

VollieFireman...whats the general amount of calories one should have per day? just wondering, you seem like you know alot about this

MembersZone Subscriber

Depending on what you get from Subway, yes it can be healthier than other fast foods. But you still need to be careful of what you ask for. For example, their tuna salad may sound appealing, but they make it with regular mayo, which is full of unhealthy fats.

In regards to your question of the amount of calories a person needs. This may sound evasive, but it depends. There are a lot of factors that determine the correct amount of calories. For example, a person that is 6'3" that has a job where they sit all day and does not exercise, will require less calories than a person that is 5'10" that has an active job and works out every day.

There are many formulas that determine calories. The most common is the Harris-Benedict formula. I do not remember how it goes off the top of my head, but if you do a search on "Calorie Requirement" or "Harris-Benedict" you will find it.

Basically, it takes in account your age, weight and height to determine your Basal Metablic Rate, BMR. The BMR determines how many calories you burn just by being you (or existing to put it differently). Then it factors in your activity level. This will increase your BMR to what is required to maintain your current weight.

To lose weight, you must eat less than your adjusted BMR requires, to gain weight eat more. Most male adults require between 1800 and 2500 calories to maintain. Women are between 1400 and 1800 calories.

Another factor to take into account is body fat percentage, which indicates how much of your weight is lean (muscle) and how much is fat. The lower the percent the better, regardless of your weight. My goal is to be about 230 pounds with a 15% BF.

I will not say that I am not an expert in this, but I have worked with several personal trainers and did a lot of studying, and I have been there myself. About 2 years ago, I weighed about 310 pounds (you don't like weighing yourself when you that big). My body fat percentage was around 60%. I am currently 250 with a 35% body fat. It took a lot of hard work, stress and sacrafice to make it, but I have more to lose.

BTW, the Body Mass Index, or BMI, is an okay indicator for how fat people are, provided they have a sedentary lifestyle. I am hoping that as firefighters, we do not have that type of lifestyle. The better way for active people is with Body Fat Analysis.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here’s a quick guide…
    To estimate daily total caloric needs, multiply 24 X 1.0 (men) or 0.9 (Women) by each Kg of body weight. Then multiply that result by 1.7 (moderately active male) or 1.6 (moderately active female)

Example:

Men 1.7 X 24 X 1.0 X Body Weight in Kg
    Woman 1.6 X 24 X 0.9 X Body Weight in Kg

What’s a Kg you ask? Take your body weight in lbs (pounds) and divide by 2.2. That will give your weight in kilos.

VollieFireman knows his stuff… if I could just add to his valuable advice; I would suggest easing into a new diet. Don’t go balls to the wall right off the bat, switching from quarterpounders with cheese to dry tuna and spinach over night. Eliminate the Mayo, or cheese or even drop the milk down to 1% and then go to skim. Also be sure to treat yourself once a week to what ever you like. And just as VollieFireman suggested, write it down… you’ll be less likely to cheat if it’s in your log.
    Don’t forget the cardio! Stairs are a great calorie burner and as firefighters, we’ve got to climb stairs!
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wildman has an excellent point, ease into the new diet. You don't want to overwhelm your body with new stuff, you will regret it if you know what I mean.

Remember that losing weight is 80% nutrition and 20% training. Cardio is defintally important, I do like the stairmaster and elliptical, but the best piece of equipment is the one you go back to every time. If you like the treadmill, bike, nordic track, or whatever. If you use it consistantly, you will like it.

Don't forget to add some weight training in also. If you are new to it, use the machines to get used to the motion. But once you are comfortable, start with LIGHT free weights. You will work more stablilizer muscles with free weight, but you MUST know the proper way of doing it, and machines will help in that.

Also, with weight training, listen to your body. If it does not feel right, check your form, if your form is correct, lower the weight. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Those are all great sugestions! If you haven't joined a health club yet, you may be intimidated by the weight room. So much foreign equipment and so many people who look like they know how to use them. Don't let those thoughts hold you back. Most clubs offer free athletic training services for your first time. They should get some basic info from you so you know where to start out on your weight routine and they will bring you around to each machine and have you work it properly. They should also bring you to the specific machines that will work your target zones. This way you can only work the muscle groups you have time for-legs, back, abdominals, etc. Get in and get out. This was a life-saver for me because I too don't have much time and have to schedule everything down to the hour. And of course-make time for cardio!
    Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Invest in a subscription to Men's Fitness or Men's Health magazine. There is a lot of useful information in both of those magazines each month.

MembersZone Subscriber

To add on to the last two suggestions (magazine and health club). I agree with both of them. In regards to a magazine, I have subscribed to Men's Health for many years and have gained a lot of knowledge from it. I have also talked with nutritionist, trainers, and dietians. None of them really contridicted Men's Health, but clarified it more. So if you haven't already, pick up Men's Health.

In regards to a health club, it will only work if you go to it, and can use the type of machines (or weights) that you want. Horseez is correct, they have people there that will show you how to use what they have. If you are starting out, don't try to over do it right away, also talk to someone about where to start. I started on the machines and then moved to free weights. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I do suggest to anyone starting a weight lifting routine to begin with machines, then after about 6 months of CONSISTANT training, move to free weights.

Like I said, a health club only works if you go to it. Before I moved from my home state, I had a club membership and only went once a month (if that much), now I go every morning M-F.

Again, like Horseez stated, you will see people that have been working out for years. Don't worry about them. They had to start sometime and probably at that time they looked like you. Sometimes, you will meet one or two that is willing to help new people.

Also, don't start out trying to lift a bus, and also you wil feel really sore the next week, but keep lifting, it will go away.

Default Eating healthy in EMS

I find the best way to eat right when working is packing your own food. this way you know what you are eating when you pack it. It helps control portion intake. By keeping healthy food handy,you avoid eating fast food/"whatever you can find" on those busy days. Works great for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What about weight gain

Okay so I really like the comments about diet but this doesent help me. I am 6'3 and 140 pounds. I try to pack on the weight but it isnt working. I workout every other day with weight, I cut out cardio but no gain. Hell when I was in the academy I resorted to a 6,000 calorie a day diet over the fourteen weeks. As we all know FF academy training is not a sedentary lifestyle. How much weight did I gain after the academy? Two pounds and that was gone pretty fast after the academy, I think it was water weight or something. So does anyone out there have any suggestions? BTW I have seen the MD about it, he laughs and says your metabolism is to fast, it will slow down. I am 29 years old and have been told this for 10 years. I am sick of it.
    HELP

Maybe you need to use a little "help" like MUSCLETECH'S "Nitro-tech"(protein) and "cell-tech"(creatine). I'm just starting the creatine but i've been on the protien along with protein bars for snacks. Go to a number of sites and you'll find whats right for you!

i'm starting the BODY-FOR-LIFE program which is a 12week program. here's a little insite for building muscle and keeping the wt off.

WWW.BODYFORLIFE.COM
    WWW.MUSCLETECH.COM
    WWW.EAS.COM
    WWW.WEIGHTVEST.COM
    WWW.SPORTSAUTHORITY.COM
    WWW.MENSHEALTH.COM
    WWW.MUSCLEANDFITNESS.COM
    WWW.FIREFIGHTERWORKOUT.COM

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing fried and you're set!
    Local 2068

Forum Member

Eat, drink, and be merry. Live life in big gulps, moderation is for monks.
    Last edited by scfire86; 12-07-2004 at 06:31 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

A healthy diet includes eating from ALL FOUR food groups and working out. These "diets" that remove one of the four food groups are wrong. Your body, has a whole, NEEDS all types of nutrients to keep going at full capacity.

Yes, these carbless diets work and all. But, in the long run they're not very good for you if you're looking for a serious diet.

My two cents.
    Local 2068

Originally posted by NYI4LIFE
    i'm starting the BODY-FOR-LIFE program which is a 12week program.

I feel "Body For Life" is probably the best working program because it is not a diet, it's a way of healthy living. The ideas talked about in this book make sense. No magic potions, no starvation, no cutting out whole food groups. The ideas are based on nourishing your body and working out. The basis is "The right foods, in the right amount, at the right times. Add efficient work-outs including cardio and weight training."

The "program" lasts 12 weeks for the Promotional challenge but once I started I made it a "Lifestyle Change" and keep feeling better every day. To make it more interesting, check out the book "Eating For Life". It has tons of recipes that fit into the Body for Life concept and they are great. Ive even passed them of at the firehouse without anybody "accusing" me of cooking "healthy"!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Thread Information