Default Darwin nominee...

Yes, a true nominee since he did remove himself from the gene pool.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1031776305554

Ok, maybe some empathy from people doing real work who do something stupid with a tractor. But flipping it while pulling a safe across a field (yes, I said a safe...)
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I had some difficulty in making the link work.. nothing a larger hammer didn't fix... but here is the story for any who might have the same difficulty:

Man killed when tractor flips
    Apparently vehicle was pulling a heavy safe, Davidson sheriff's investigators say

By Laura Giovanelli JOURNAL REPORTER

CLEMMONS

In exchange for $75, Michael Lynch told his father, all he had to do was mow the grass and tidy up the farm.

When Colin Lynch walked by the Davis farm at 5534 Hampton Road yesterday morning, he saw the overturned wheels of a Ford Redbelly tractor lying on the crest of a pasture hill. A locked metal safe was chained to the back. His youngest son was pinned underneath, crushed to death.

"I just had a bad feeling because I knew he didn't come home last night," Lynch said. "I don't usually walk this way. Now I know why I did today."

Michael Lynch died alone in a muddy field, apparently killed by the weight of a small farm tractor as he tried to tow a safe up a rain-slicked hill. He was 26.

Investigators from the Davidson County Sheriff's Office say that the clues - drag marks in a muddy driveway and on a cement garage floor indicate that the 800- to 1,000-pound safe was towed several hundred feet before the tractor flipped - point to an attempted larceny.

Then, as tread on the tractor's wheels chewed into the hill of a nearby pasture, the theft turned into an accidental death. Lynch died late Sunday or early yesterday morning, just hours before his father found his body and called 911 around 9:45 a.m.

Deputies still don't know what was in the safe, said Sheriff David Grice of Davidson County. Investigators do know that Michael Lynch wasn't told to move it as part of his cleanup job and that it appears as if someone tried to break into it. For now, it is being stored at the county's impound lot.

Whether the contents of the safe are valuable or even why Lynch was towing it are irrelevant to his family. After the EMS workers had gone, after the ambulance and the firetruck drove away, Lynch's oldest brother walked back up the hill and leaned against the tractor's rusty body. "All I know is that he's dead," William Lynch said.

William Lynch said that he and his brothers grew up around tractors and had experience operating them. A carpenter and house-framer by trade, Michael Lynch was the youngest of five children. But he still lived at home with his parents, on nearby Tree Top Road.

Both the safe and the tractor belonged to C.S. "Chuck" Davis, who died several months ago. His widow, Vickey, was on her way back from the coast yesterday, Grice said. Michael Lynch knew Davis' son Chad through his carpentry work, Colin Lynch said.

Colin Lynch said that his son told him Sunday afternoon that the Davis family had offered him money to mow grass and do other chores.

Michael Lynch attended North Davidson High School before dropping out, Colin Lynch said. His son also has had several encounters with law enforcement dating back to 1996, including at least two convictions for misdemeanor larceny and traffic offenses including one DWI.

But Todd Redmond, a friend and neighbor who has known Michael Lynch since childhood, remembered Lynch as an avid camper and outdoorsman. He liked to hike in the woods, Redmond said, much like his father.

An autopsy will be performed at the state medical examiner's office in Chapel Hill.

Laura Giovanelli can be reached in Lexington at (336) 248-2074 or at lgiovanelli@wsjournal.com

Photo credit:
    Michael Lynch, 26, died when a tractor he was driving overturned on a muddy hill. (Journal Photo by Laura Giovanelli)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I Dunno Dal, he may have some competition.

From local6.com:

Fireworks Ignite In Car Killing Man, Burning Another
    Men Apparently Lighting Fireworks In Vehicle

POSTED: 7:34 am EDT June 29, 2004
    UPDATED: 3:12 pm EDT June 29, 2004

MELBOURNE, Fla -- A 23-year-old man was killed and another injured when fireworks in the back seat of their car exploded and ignited the car, according to Local 6 News.

Police said Aravis Walker, 23, and Antonio Robinson, 27, were lighting fireworks and throwing them from their vehicle Mondaynight while driving in the area of Carver Street in Melbourne, Fla.

At some point, an amber from a cigarette or one of the lit fireworks fell on the back seat of the car and ignited several other explosives.

Robinson was able to exit the vehicle after running into a light pole at Carver Street and Walker Street. However, Walker was not able to get of the car and sat in the car as it burned.

Both men were burned over 90 percent of their bodies and transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center.

"They actually had to hose him (Walker) down to treat him," Assistant Fire Chief Greg Anglin said.

Walker died at the hospital Tuesday morning.

Officers at the scene said the vehicle had fireworks still shooting from it when they arrived.

The Toyota car was completely destroyed.

Possible charges are pending the result of the investigation, according to police.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

When I was posted in Calgary, with LdSH(RC), we had a similar incident involving a jeep and artillery simulators.

I can't remember how it started, but they had a crate of arty sims in the back seat, and somehow one of them iginited (we suspect a cigarette - I seem to recall?). One had minor burns to his hands because he tried to extract the arty sim out of the veh.

All parties, including the vehicle survived to play another day... but a good reminder at any rate.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information