Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Medium Size Rescue Truck

Our dept. is looking into purchasing Medium Size Rescue as our next 1st responder/medic vehicle. Not looking for an ambulanc or a heavy rescue "spartan" type vehicle, something in between. Truck has to hold 4+ ff/emts, holds various medical and rescue tools of the trade. Anyone that has suggestions, pics, personal working with medium size rescure trucks would be great.

Forum Member

Default 1 Alternative

While there are 100's of "medium" designs I have seen over the years, the there seems to be a bunch of these things here being bought around the country. To me, it seems to be a pretty decent idea, as it allows for additional personnel for response and also gives an area to hold a couple people or a patient(s) on a backboard accross the bench seat inside while waiting for transport vehicles. Nice package and gives some pretty decent compartment space. There seems to be a bunch of people who offer these models. I have seen several manufactured by EVI from Florida (who seems to have made more of these than anyone) but I have also seen a few from American LaFrance and Rosenbauer ( I am sure there are several others that build these, so do some surfing).

They are kind of nice with the F-550 chassis, as you can get the increased payload capacity of 19,500#, verses years past when they were overloaded before you put tools on them, when the only option was the lighter Chevy/GMC or Ford 350's. There are many many options, but I thought that I would share one particular "mid-range" model I have seen.

Stay Safe and good fishing!

Fish
    Attached Images Attached Images  

firefish1488 is correct in that EVI makes some really nice vehicles.
    http://www.evi-fl.com/welcome.html

Made a trip to look at several near us some years back when we were looking at new Rescue Rig's (and if I had any say in the matter that's what we would have bought, but that's another story )

Also - I had the chance to look & and tour the Wheeled Coach Facilities a couple years back & their SRV series of trucks didn't look too bad either.
    http://www.wheeledcoach.com

To digress slightly:
    We have been switching to Wheeled Coach Ambulances here in my county and thus far I have been quite pleased with the quality of product and the service we have gotten from WC and our local Rep.

To cite an example - we made a mistake in our spec regarding the height between a counter top & a shelf - Wheeled Coach corrected the problem in wonderful fashion and at no charge to us. This was after we had accepted the vehicle and driven it home from Fla. !!

Back on topic.

Also - don't rule out any smaller / local builders.

We have a local builder that is quickly making a larger name for themselves. They started as Ex Grumman employees when Grumman went out of business & KME bought all their patents.

http://www.mwfire.com/

While I agree w/ Fish that the newer 550's are a great improvement, I would suggest that before you make up your mind about a chassis, that you set down and create a DETAILED list of everything you want to carry (from 1 claw hammers to 15lbs of Stay Dry) along with it's known or estimated weight.

Once you have that - allow for margin of error in your estimation. Then allow some more for future expansion. Then see if that weight figure combined w/ passenger weight (don't forget to account for your gear) and body weight are still w/in the weight capacity of the chassis you have in mind.

Also - don't forget that Ford is re-entering the Business class truck market with the F650/750 chassis.
    Also Freightliner/Daimler Chrysler Corp., who bought out the rights & designs to the old Ford L-Series trucks, has reintroduced them to the market under the Sterling badge.

http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/Core/T...cation=FireEms

I have seen several of these chassis in municipal applications and also heard good things about them from the Wheeled Coach folks. Even seen a few as Fire Apparatus. Might want to keep them in mind as well.

Wish you the best of luck w/ your rig. Just remember that no matter what any other department has on their truck, it may not work for you so be sure to look at it in the context of how YOUR department operates.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Amtech, (www.amtechusa.net )is also a good builder. We bought an F-550, 4 x 4 with seating for five about a year ago. We got a 10K hydraulic generator on it and it works great.

Check the Fire Apparatus Manufacturer's web site for their weight and cube sheets.(www.fama.org) It gives you a good idea on weights and space for equipment.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

A word of warning: Make sure that whatever you get, make sure you get it a bit heavier than what you think you'll be carrying now.

Our rescue(granted, it's an 88) started off as a vehicle replacing a one ton van unit. Then it got an air cascade and all of our spare bottles. Then it got the hazmat support equipment that we carry. Then it got all of the medical equipment and specialized rescue equipment that the county likes us to carry for them. Etc. etc.

So it became overloaded. They gave the option for a larger chassis and powerplants and everything, but it was passed up due to increased cost of 10k. So now it takes a while to get there.

And now we're going to spend $500,000 on replacing it.

Words of wisdom from our department: If you're looking at a long term investment(instead of maybe a quick fix) SPARE NO EXPENSE! If the thing will be around for 15~20 years, might as well spend for it now.
    "What a WACKER!"

"When in doubt, pull the 2 1/2."

"Here junior, reach out the window and put that redlight on the roof...That's right, hawaii Five-O style! Get it on!"

i suppose this one is too big?
    http://www.westmead2.com/apparatus-24.htm

JSABOL:

Send me a private e-mail with your name and fax number. I'll spec out a GMC Topkick Crew Cab and fax it to you. The truck will work out better than a F-Series due to tighter turning radius and stronger framerails.

Yea, it might look like a higer step in but the built in step is the same height that you have to reach for to get into a Ford. Afterall, it is a real medium duty truck, not a beefed up pick up.

I didn't want to make this look like a commercial for GMC but you're not set up so I could send you a private e-mail.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Default Medium Rescues

I agree with a lot of the comments from others about "overspec'ing" the chassis for future requirements (Load) and also take a look at SVI Trucks. (Supervac in Loveland CO.) They have been building a wide variety of Rescue (Light, Medimum, Heavy) as well as Hazmat, Air & Light and Command Vehicles.

They have a great website showing many delivered apparatus and also whats "on line" being built and build a quality apparatus in a wide variety of configurations and designs to suit your $ and needs.

Depending on your budget $ and needs look at the GMC 5500 chassis or the Acterra from Sterling.

Arrow Summit

Here are a couple of photos you can view:

Monongahela PA Truck 62
    1998 IH/Summit
    Air & Light Unit (The body is similar in construction to a rescue)

Westerville, Ohio Rescue 111
    1996 IH-Summit
    Rescue Squad

Summit Fire Apparatus

How come you dont see many rescues built on a chevy chassis? They seem to have the same options maybe a little less options for aftermarket though.

I believe that GM's comparable chassis to the F-350/450/550 doesn't have comparable weight ratings. Toss in the fact that Ford will ship with an ambulance prep package, which I don't know if GM does. Our Ford's also have a factory installed electronic idle control that I'm not sure is available on the GMs. Works great with our underhood generators.

Ford's fuel filler also runs lower in the frame, minimizing wasted space in an apparatus body, I guess this is an issue with the GM product which runs higher along the frame and eats into compartment space.

I could be wrong on some of this stuff, but in discussions had at FDIC and other events, this is what I believe is the truth.

npfd801:

Who were you talking to, Ford reps??? I sell GMC medium duty and we match Ford's ratings in every class. We also have an 80,000 lb frame rail while Ford's is only 35,000. The ambulance prep package isn't offered as a package but what you need will be put on the truck if spec'd correctly.

All fuel lines are below the frame rails so once again it sounds like Ford BS.

GM's (both GMC and Chevy) trucks are true medium duty trucks that are derated while Ford's are beefed up pick up trucks with extended frames.

Just wanted to clear up anything you might have heard at FDIC.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

I stand corrected. I won't say which apparatus dealer gave me the info, but we buy from them due to circumstances way beyond my control. I honestly thought the guy knew of what he was talking. Their name starts with A and they're in Illinois.

So I suppose my question is that if one were to try and purchase a unit on that would directly compete with a Ford F-550 4x4, would it look like a GM pickup cab and front clip, or a GM style medium duty unit?

Would the info that I was wrong on apply to a one-ton type pickup chassis? Perhaps that was how I was mis-informed.

I certainly apologize for the incorrect info. I usually don't speak up unless I feel I've been properly informed. Apparently I wasn't...

I like the GM chassis but what I dont like is the choice of engines. I have not driven a chevy before but the numbers speak and there is no diesel in the 5500 and below that matches a ford. When is chevy going to offer a more powerful diesel in the lower weight classes.

npfd801 & dragonfyre

I'm not trying to stir anything up & I'm definitely not saying I know more about trucks that you guys - BUT . . .

Just from reading your two post - I think you are talking about 2 different things in regards to the "fuel filler" / "fuel line" issue.

To me it seems that npfd801 is talking about the 'goesinta' ("fuel filler") while dragonfyre is talking about the 'comesoutta' ("fuel lines").

For the record I concur that dragonfyre is correct in that all fuel lines are below the frame rails. I also freely admit that I have no knowledge of just how high the fuel filler extends above the frame rail on either brand of chassis.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Originally posted by npfd801
    So I suppose my question is that if one were to try and purchase a unit on that would directly compete with a Ford F-550 4x4, would it look like a GM pickup cab and front clip, or a GM style medium duty unit?
    It sounds like the Ford pickup chassis is being compared to a GM medium-duty chassis.

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison. To make it more comparable, try a F650/F750, Sterling, etc.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

You might want to check out Custom Fire Apparatus over in Osceola, WI. They have the Foresight body, which can be set up as a pumper, a rescue, or a rescue/pumper.

When I was up there last weekend, they had one finished. It was a Ford F-550 chassis, crew cab, v-10, set up with a rear pump. For more info, you can go to Custom Fire.

Here is one of the first Foresight setups they made:

If you would like more info on the Foresight, you can send me your contact information, and I can have Custom send you some stuff. I will be there on Monday to look at a truck we are getting from them.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

Default Wheeled Coach SRV

We just purchased a 1999 SRV, through Fire Trucks Plus. The truck was one of the vehicles on BAYWATCH . Here are the before and after pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

I stand corrected. I won't say which apparatus dealer gave me the info, but we buy from them due to circumstances way beyond my control. I honestly thought the guy knew of what he was talking. Their name starts with A and they're in Illinois.

Joel.....YOU know better!!!!!!
    Last edited by rmcatee1; 11-22-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Got rid of stuf not needed....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    npfd801:

Who were you talking to, Ford reps??? I sell GMC medium duty and we match Ford's ratings in every class. We also have an 80,000 lb frame rail while Ford's is only 35,000. The ambulance prep package isn't offered as a package but what you need will be put on the truck if spec'd correctly.

All fuel lines are below the frame rails so once again it sounds like Ford BS.

GM's (both GMC and Chevy) trucks are true medium duty trucks that are derated while Ford's are beefed up pick up trucks with extended frames.

Just wanted to clear up anything you might have heard at FDIC.
    Which model GMC chassis cab did GM stop building this year, was it the 4500 & 5500 series ? I want to look for a Med size landscapers dump truck in the near future !

Thread Information