Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pagers and Portable Radio's

Does anyone have an alternative to the Minitor III or IV, they seem to be of very poor construction, an 1 giant step back from the Minitor II, Our department has looked at alpha numeric pagers but do not want that to be the primay dispatching source, whe have also looked into the ICOM IC F-11 paging portable rado, however we have never heard anything as to their durability or another department that has used them, we are also looking at a Kenwood 2140 Paging Portable, We don't wan't all members to have transmiting capability and would like to find an alternative, does anyone know anything about USAlert Pagers, or Quattrino Pagers, We would greatly appreciate anyone's wisdom and insight into our matter.
    Risk alot lot to save alot.
    Risk a little to save a little.
    Risk nothing to save nothing!

We've been using 12 of the Kenwood 2140s for about 6 months now.

So far, it has proven to be a fantastic unit. If you go that route, get the shorter antenna. The standard one is taller than the radio.

The only big drawback is it not as flexible as a pager in terms of multiple tones. A minitor can be programmed to alert for something like 7 different tones for each channel, the Kenwood doesn't have that capability.

We still use Minitor II's, the chiefs have Minitor III's I believe. But we also use Vertex VX-180's, and they work great.

The only problem is they are no where near as small as the minitor's so it can be kind of bulky and combersome at times.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Usually, any portable two-way radio these days that can decode paging tones can also have their transmitter disabled. This way, the department can decide whose portable radio can transmit, and whose can only receive.

In reference to the durability of the minitor's, one thing that my dept. did a while back is issue a leather case that can wrap around the pager. It helps for simple bumps and even dropping the pager. I never had the problem of taking care of it, mine always held up for the 4 years I carried one. One thing to do instead of purchasing all new radio/pagers is make an incentive if members are being that careless with their pagers, i.e. start charging for repairs. Seems to me if a lot of people are breaking stuff, they have no respect for other people's property. They may use it, but it belongs to the FD. Tell these people if you have to keep spending money on repairing/replacing pagers, there won't be money to fund for a Christmas party, it get everybody a nice, new pair of extrication gloves, etc. Trust me, a while back, an EMT damaged a pager of my department's. Thankfully, the EMT's employer had to pay for the repairs and got a very old Shinwa to use in the mean time. I would highly recommend staying with pagers versus going to the radios, due to their ease of carrying. I had to hand in my pager for a Motorola HT750 handheld radio, and I must say, carrying a brick around instead of that small, inconspicuous pager is a pain in the side...literally.

We also do a leather case, some have nylon as well. We have a good record with Minitor Maintenance. The one I have now had its only problem occured before I recieved it.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

I CURRENTLY HAVE A MINITOR III, BUT WE ARE PHASING TOTHE MINITOR IV. WE ALSO USE ALPHA PAGERS. PERSONALLY ALL I USE IS MY MINITOR, WHICH OFCOURSE I ALREADY BROKE. I AM STARTING TO THINK I NEED A BATMAN BELT OR SOMTHING FOR ALL MY STUFF. MINITOR, COUNTY PAGER, FIRE PAGER, PHONE, NEXTTEL.....THIS IS PRETTY SAD ACTUALLY. LOL

Thread Information