MembersZone Subscriber

Default Max Flow Potential of the 1" Bosster Line???

Hydralic experts, help me out.

We are trying to plan for and outfit 2 Type 5 brush trucks that our MT State DNRC is building for/with us.

They are 500 gallon poly tanks on F550s with 250 GPM pumps and faom induction sytems.

They are going to be outfited with the standard DNRC tool loading for brush truck with some exceptions so they can be more usefull localy on other types of fires. Their first and formost mission is as brush trucks but they will by neccesity be used as quck attack trucks on vehicle and structure calls.

What I am trying to figure out is how much water can flow through a 1" booster line. We will have 200 foot alum reels with standard 1" hardline. Right now we have 2 1" TFT automatic combi nozzles laying around that flow 10-125 gpm variable by pressure. We need the small flow to conserve water at wildfires and we want the 125 minimum flow for other applications. I dont like these since thy have no pistol grip and since they are vairable by presure only.

I am considering a nozzle that can handle more water on the hose reel. Smooth bore is out since we need fog pattern for wildland fires and since we can aford to buy 3-4 nozzles for both trucks.

So, given the 200 feet of 1" hard line on the reel, what is the MAX water that can flow through that much line/reel. There should not be much plumbing loss so lets just worry about the reel on out.

250 GPM pump, through 200 1" hard line can supply how much water to a nozzle?

I am considering a POK Slide-O-Matic, advertised for 10-250 GPM, NOT variable by pressure (big + IMO) with 50 and 100 PSI settings.

http://www.pokfire.com/news/03_05_05.pdf

This nozzle realy looks good to me, or rather is has the potential to cover all of our bases. Low flow for wildland, high flow for big fires.

I am thing of getting the 1.5 inch inlet and then putting a increaser from 1" to 1.5. That way the nozzle can be used with the 1.5 cloath line if needed.

Anybody know the price on these, cant seem to find that on the net.

Being able to grab the 1" hard line on the reel and flow 10-250 GPM withing 200 feet of the truck would take care of 90+% of the fire calls we get.

To good to be true?

Possible with 1" hard line on a 200 foot reel?

Thanks a ton.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Yeah, pretty much.

If we take:
    100psi nozzle pressure TFT
    200' 1" with the standard coefficent of friction (C=150)
    250gpm

That would only take a PDP of...1975psi.

----------------
    Let's put a smoothbore on there.
    That's 50psi nozzle pressure
    Same hose.
    Let's assume your 250gpm pump is 250@120psi which is just a guess, but most portable pumps don't put out the rated capacity @ 150psi like a Class A fire pump.

That'll get you about 50gpm at the end of that line. So use a 1/2" tip. Maybe a simple fog nozzle like a Rockwood or a Mystery nozzle.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info.

Not nearly the amount of flow I was looking for and hoping for.

I should have stayed awake during the hydralics classes!!!

Pulling 1.5 inch hose off is not a big deal, they will be so equiped, I was just hoping to get the most out of the 1" booster line.

For some reason I thougth you could get more gpm then that out of 1" lines.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Thread Information