MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tunnel questions

There is a major highway bypass going through our town and in part of it will be a 300 ft tunnel. My question is for those of you who have a similar tunnel in your response area. What do you use for an address for a location??? I am thinking from a dispatcher point of veiw too.

My idea was to paint numbers along the way on the wall of the tunnel and have them spaced close enough together that you could read 2 numbers at a time. A caller could call in and say that they are between 100 and 200 or in front of the number 400. This would act as a "block number" of the tunnel so everyone would know the location of the incident. What do you think?

Also we are going to have 3 major interchanges with ramps going everywhere(similar to the one in front of the Mall of America if your familiar) In one area there will be 7 bridges in a mile stretch. I have seen in larger metro areas that the bridges and overpasses are numbered so someone could call and say they were stalled on bridge number 6 or something. What do you do in your town??

Any ideas you could help with would be greatly appreciated.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Forum Member

If it's only 300 feet long, and there's one way in and one way out (presumably), couldn't you just say "I'm in the tunnel"? You shouldn't be too hard to find in that short distance.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

MembersZone Subscriber

You could just say "I'm in the tunnel" but the problem is that the jurisdiction line runs right through the middle of the tunnel. My opinion is to just have one agency respond, the one that doesn't have to go through traffic to get there but that's not up to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it's 300 ft, there's no problem. You shouldn't require anything. If you were talking like 3000 ft, then you might have something. Maybe just dispatch one fire department coming from one direction and the other comes in from the other. Both sides of the road covered and then the jurisidiction issue is no longer.

Forum Member

I think he was refering to the trolls that will be living in the tunnel. Trolls have houses too.

Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing, no need for numbers since it's only 300 ft. long. Also, auto-dispatch both FDs to all calls in the tunnel...

How about a set of mutual aide pacts for the whole tunnel? Auto dispatch both departments, can always turn the other units away if it is a bogus call, or if they will not be needed.

On an MVA, maybe one department sends in a unit with the rescue tools while one department sends ambulance?

Car fire? Have both departments send in an engine, and have one send in an ambulance too.

The extra hands and apparatus may be nice to have just in case. I know I don't mind having a big truck parked sidways protecting the scene.

With a setup like this numbering wouldn't be needed.

EDIT: Whoops, I started the reply, went to dinner and then finished it when I returned. The last 3 posts snuck in there.

Forum Member

I have a feeling the 53 by-pass is going to be a cluster f---. First night driving through the little detour on the north end of the city almost go lost, lol.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Do Something Now................

It's apparent that you want to be proactive on this. Take a page from our book. Send 2 stations on calls in the tunnel, one each way. and, I agree that 300 Feet is too short to worry about numbers or markings, In Maryland, and nearby states, the standard markings are 1/10th of a mile, meaning they are 528 feet apart, almost twice the length of your tunnel.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information