Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: fdny medical

Default fdny medical

Went for the medical checkup. Everything was fine, but the heart rate was a few points too high, like 10 points. They told me to come back in a month. Anyone have suggestions on training. They said running was good , but stairs with the vest were key. If anyone has a suggestion on some ways to lower the heart rate, please share.

Default medical

hey dude what's your list #? i'm 719 and haven't been called for the medical yet. Just trying to get an idea how long it will take thx

MembersZone Subscriber

running is definitely good to build up your stamina, but to get your legs used to the movement of climbing stairs, the obvious best thing is climbing stairs with weight. also when you are actually doing the test, breathe slowly and controlled, that will affect your heart rate alot...and try to avoid caffeine/nicotine (if you smoke) for the few days before

BEEF- when i went for mine in march, they told us they were calling the first 600 or so guys, so youll probably here in the next couple of months if not sooner

good luck to both of you and everyone else

Fro #262

thanks man i hope i have a little while to go as i have slacked on running a little since the physical, goodluck to all waiting to get called

Forum Member

I went for my medical background and passed everything. I have all my requirements handed in and was just wondering if the investigator will call you to let you know you are being investigated or not? Hope someone can help along with this...#618

MembersZone Subscriber

unfortunately extreme, im in the same boat as you, and as far as ive been told, the next notification we get will either be a letter in the mail or a phone call to tell us to report to the academy....so long as they dont need anything (addt'l forms/info) from you...but if you want you can call the FDNY office, give them your SS# and they can tell you who your investigator is and what theyre phone # si if you want to call them, but they never call back so you have to try and catch them in the morning...good luck

Forum Member

FRO do you know the number to which I can talk to someone? I have a bunch but it seems that you have had better luck than I have had. I appreciate all that you can do to help.

Default cfrd

have any of you guys taken the cfrd course yet? Are people on our list required to take it before being appointed? thx

Default CFR-D

For list #2043, the CFR-D requirement has been waived. They will offer a training course that will be out-of-pocket while we are in the academy.

Hope this helps a bit-

DB

MembersZone Subscriber

xtreme

i looked for the number, i dont know what i did with the sheet, but its the number that is on your psychological notice. i believe its the number for the central office, so when you call just tell them you havent heard from your investigator and you want to make sure everything is good, and they should give you their name and number. good luck

Arrow FDNY

Hi there. I just spoke to my investigator. I was told that they are around 500 that is in for their medical and psychological on list number 2043. One thing that came up was there is still a good number from the previous list. I am number 844 and i was told that above 500 will really not get looked at until Jan 2005. I guess good things come to those that wait. God how I would of loved to be number 1 on that list, lol. Hey does anyone know the heart rate equation they are using for recovery after the stairs? I would like to get that so i can be well under for my medical. Thanks alot. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

PRFD: Did your investigator say that noone above 500 got a medical or did he mean that noone above 500 got an investigator? Who did you contact in order to find out that information or what number did you call? Any help will be appreciated.

Also,

220 minus your age x 0.9 = the highest your heart rate is allowed to go.

Example: A 40 y/o's Maximum heart rate would be:

220-40 = 180.

180 x 0.9 = 160 - So the 40 year olds highest heart rate would be 160.

When you go you do the steps for 3 minutes then take a break...there is no set amount of break time due to the high number of people in there with you. Then you hop on there for 5 minutes and 30 seconds roughly and that is when you get tested. Do steps to prepare yourself and work your butt off cause its tough. Hoep that helped.
    Last edited by Xtreme911; 07-06-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Forum Member

Exclamation Preparing for stepmaster/cardio

Xtreme911 has the best info so far. There were so many candidates that failed the cardio-stepmaster exam that the examiner from the stepmaster/cardio test gave us a short "informational lecture" about how to prepare for the test and the academy. They advise you to invest in a cardio heart rate watch (Polar makes a good, cheap model)Basically, you want to train (cardio) at 90% of your max heart rate for 40 minutes. They recommend that you do not go above since this doesn't benefit your training. You should do this at least 4 days a week if you aren't physically prepared. They also recommend 2 days of wind sprints on the "off" days of the 40 minute cardio. I am not a doctor or into sports training... this is what they told us. Despite passing the cardio/stepmaster portion of the exam, I trained using a heart-rate monitor and improved my cardio output and lost some weight in the process. Use Xtreme911's info. to calculate 90%max. heart rate:

220 minus your age x 0.9 = the highest your heart rate is allowed to go.

Example: A 40 y/o's Maximum heart rate would be:

220-40 = 180.

180 x 0.9 = 160 - So the 40 year olds highest heart rate would be 160.

Hope this helps!

Forum Member

PRFD101......
    I dont know who gave you that info. regarding the first 500 and they being the only ones who have taken their medical & Psych., my # is 776 and I took my medical over a month ago, and was told by a person at the central office that I would receive my psych by this month.
    Half the guys failed the medical (stairs) part. But, you are given 3 chances of passing before they take your name off the list. But I suggest that you pass it on the first try, or your paper work just might process a little slower than you would like.

Default fdny medical

Anyone else in the 700 range get called for their medical?i'm #719 and haven't heard anything yet.thx

Forum Member

hey guys,
    My question that since they started our list early but still have eligibles from 7029 does that mean that 2043 will be cut short since they are going to continue to hire 7029 first up till Nov.? or will our 4 years start in Nov.? I seems like 2043 is getting the short end of the stick since those on 7029 getting on now have such low scores!! The reason I ask is because I am 3300 and Kind of on edge I guess. Does anyone out there know how far pasts lists have gone with normal hiring trends (7029 was a bit unusual considering the wake of 9/11 unfortunately). I haven't been able to find info on any lists prior to 7029??? Any thoughts????

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah -- that's exactly what I was going to ask -- the class before 7029 -- how deep into the list did they go and how long did they wait? I'm 2363, and getting a bit anxious at this point.

Just got back from 2 weeks down the shore and I'm reading all the posts and it's hard when you hear -- no one up till 500 will be on till January and then someone has the complete opposite info.

Take care and good luck guys

Jim

Arrow FDNY 2043

You got to love this civil service crap. I don't think they know right now what way is up. The guy with the post before me(i think he said list 706) better call and check b/c if the 2nd to last got called for his medical at number 776 then he got skipped somehow. I spoke to my personal investigator for fdny ems. Though i have spoken with others and they all pretty much said the same thing, anyone above 500 won't get into a class until after jan 2005. ANYONE IN THE FIRST 1,000 THAT GETS CALLED FOR MEDICAL PLEASE POST IT HERE, THIS WAY EVERYONE CAN CHECK THEIR NUMBERS WITH THAT. I would sure like to know if someone gets called for medical with list number 1000 if i am in the 800's. I have practiced with a vest for my medical, heart rate never gets above 170, my max is 190 per fdny test. I can't wait to get this over with. any other info out there please share. Lata all.

list # 586

-took my medical a couple of months ago...I have 2 friends who have list #'s in the same range, they've taken their medicals as well.

-still waiting on the last phase, my psychological exam.

GL brothers-

DB

MembersZone Subscriber

a friend of mine came out 957, he took his medical in early june. good luck men

Thread Information