Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Closing Of E-one Plants - Including Saulsbury

It comes as no surprise to me personally, under the management of E-One, the annoucement of closing the E-One NY "Saulsbury" plant and several other Federal companies. Their financial perfomance accross all Federal companies shows (public information on Federals website) that they are in HUGE trouble. Interestingly enough the backlogs at other US firetruck manufacturing facilities are strong and very acceptable financial performance is being recognized, yet E-One blames it on "the economy". Maybe it has something to do with the mentality that firetrucks are like airplanes, tractors, automobiles and hulla hoops? It continues and verifies the rumor that E-One wants to focus on reducing configurations and options to become profitable (in their own words int he ttached press release). Funny that "Saulsbury" existed and flourished financially prior to the acqusition by E-One and Federal by building 1000's of configurations! What a blunder. The slide will not stop until they actually recognize that building fire trucks is not like building hulla hoops! Now lets see chief: Would you like red, yellow or green and do you want one or two balls inside your new hulla hoop? The ONLY very sad part is the 205 employees who have been at Saulsbury for many many years. I would wish every one of them the best in making ends meet and god bless them and their families! As far as feeling bad for E-One---NO WAY, NOT FOR ONE SECOND, they deserve it! Its is a sad day in fire apparatus history to see one of the most innovative and cutting edge companies of all time, building fire trucks, go to the wayside due to questionable management. Oh well, thats life in corporate America! Sooner or later the excuses will run out and they will recognize what the root cause is within the Federal Companies itself. I have a pretty good hunch, but what do "fire truck people" know!

http://www.federalsignal.com/IR/PR/p...tructuring.pdf

So Sad!

Stay safe and good fishing!

Fish

um, was it E-One closing Federal's companies, or was it Federal closing some of it's companies?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default It was only a matter of time........

From reading the press release, it looks to me as if there will be no E-WONT plant closures, just Saulsbury. But that doesnt matter.

For those of us who keep close tabs on the Fire Apparatus Industry, this comes as NO surprise. When E-WONT bought Saulsbury approx 2-3 years ago, we all knew it was the tolling of the death knell for Saulsbury. Frankly, I am surprised that they lasted this long. Federal Signal can't have competition for their Pet Project down there in Ocala!!!!

Lovely. We lose the most trusted name in Heavy Rescue (and other specialty rigs) Apparatus. We lose the most experienced, hands-down best builder of Stainless apparatus in the industry.

I have said it before, I'll say it again. BE KIND TO THE ENVIRONMENT! RECYCLE YOUR E-WONT INTO BEER OR SODA CANS!

I would rather push my Pierce or Seagrave than drive an E-Wont! But wait, that wont happen, because the E-WONT has so many problems, it's in the motor pool out of service more than it's IN service!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Let us not forget that alot of these large manufacturers are now part of large multi-national companies. Their goal has changed from building true custom apparatus, to giving their stock holders a dividend. E-One has done in a more public manner what others have done quitely. ALF closed up the LTI plant in Pa. and moved it to the Carolina's for close to the same reason, consolidation. Pierce did the same with Nova Quintect, and Seagrave with Aeroscope. All these companies never considered the expertice that the work force had, or the name that plant location had built for itself. Consider that Crimson moved their new ladder work into the same part of Pa. that ALF just left due to the "experienced workforce" in the area.

Their are still some family owned and operated companies out there that will build what you want, not what they want you to have. I have heard many stories lately from fire companies that have worked hard building specs for a new truck, only to have one of these large heartless companies come in and totally change the specs so that the truck can be "banged out".

Don't get me started on foreign owned apparatus builders such as ALF and Rosenbaurer. Keep it American and shop around to get what you want! Brothers and sisters of Saulsbury, the true custom work you did will never be forgotten.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Thanks Mr. Fish

Thanks for the information Mr. Fish. To bad it's as bad as it is. It's hard to think about a Company that built it's self on quailty and craftmanship being closed. It would seem to me to be difficult to re-create the quality and craftsmanship with a new workforce and new location. Some of your comments relative to the business were very insightful. It would appear to the lay person that you may have had more information than the average sail fish!

It's terrible to see them go I wish all the employees the best and I have to agree with one of the former posts...BUY AMERICAN!

"Failing to train is training to fail"

Forum Member

Thumbs down

It is a sad day - When E-One bought Saulsbury the story was how the purchase would improve E-One, give them some insite into a true custom truck, well we can see what happened there. As a owner of two great truly custom Saulsbury units I hate to see this happening across the industry. Soon the big three will have their way and we will be able to choose from a very small preengineered series of options. and I am sure their are plenty of people on the business side of this that say yep thats the way it should be, only way to make a bigger profit - but as a consumer I would disagree.

SBLG

Forum Member

Angry

Our Saulsbury ( http://www.deforestfire.com/pictures2.php?date=20031010 )is less than one year old and it is BY FAR the finest made piece of apperatus in our station. It was truly a custom made truck from the get go that other manufactures refused to do.

My experience with them during the 18 months it took to order and recieve our rig was second to none. Assurances from the plant during the final stages of construction were met and the people at the factory were the nicest and most talented I have ever met.

For a small plant out in the middle of a New York cornfield, they do top notch work. My prayers are with them all on trying to make ends meet and feed their kids once the plant goes bye-bye, as there is not much else in the area.

If Eric Saulsbury or the family wants to buy the factory back, I am sure the there will be a few investors interested in getting Saulsbury back to where it was!
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
    www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

As with the previous two posts, we have had our custom Saulsbury rescue/engines (click here) for about 1 1/2 years now. We have been very pleased with the quality and performance of these trucks, even with a few minor problems, which most likely weren't even Saulsbury's fault.

While our trucks were being built, I can say that the "writing was on the wall" with this and organization was not vey good at the plant. It probably had alot to do with the Fed Signal buyout/E-one merger at the time.

It is truly a shame that corporate America has now taken one of the premier apparatus builders from us. The worst part is that we were looking forward to a new Saulsbury Rescue in a year or so.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Originally posted by DFurseth
    If Eric Saulsbury or the family wants to buy the factory back, I am sure the there will be a few investors interested in getting Saulsbury back to where it was!
    I couldn't agree more. The Saulsbury family represent the finest in pride and satisfaction...in the custom EMS/Fire/Rescue vehicle business. I have never met a group of individuals quite like those who worked at their plant in Tully, NY. These people went out of their way to give you what you asked for.....and more.

I wish them well. It would truly be a sad day...if the Saulsbury name fell from the ranks of the custom truck industry.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Default I really don't know...

but if Saulsbury had been such a great, respected, wonderful company....why did they sell out to Federal in the first place? Did they really believe that things would never change after being under someone else's control?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ???

Earlier this week, I received info that this may not be a closed deal. We were notified that the president of E-One was 'relieved of his duties' effective immediately.
    Dealers have been behind keeping the Saulsbury factory open, especially us in the northeast where the name 'Saulsbury' means more than a local fire truck. Whereas there have been many threads involved on problems with Saulsbury, this thread has shown that the roots are still recognized by most of a highly-custom rescue vehicle. Our hope, with this new development in the always-changing who owns who, who runs who, fire apparatus industry is that Saulsbury will stick around.
    Thought you might be interested.

Dan Nichols
    Nichols Fire of NY and CT
    "The light that goes around, even up-side down".

Forum Member

I know this thread is about E-One/Saulsbury but I did notice a posting that stated ALF moved LTI to South Carolina. I was past LTI a couple of weeks ago and they seem to be open and building trucks. A large number of chassis in the parking lot. ALF has not moved this operation.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Post From the Federal Signal website...this press release

FEDERAL SIGNAL CORPORATION ANNOUNCES
    FIRST PHASE OF STRATEGIC RESTRUCTURING INITIATIVES
    Actions expected to improve company’s competitive positioning,
    enhance productivity, and drive profitable growth
    Oak Brook, Illinois, June 30, 2004 – Federal Signal Corporation (NYSE: FSS) today announced the implementation of the first steps of a broad restructuring initiative identified earlier this year.
    The plan is aimed at enhancing the company’s competitive profile and creating a solid foundation for annual revenue growth targeted in the high single digits. The measures announced today address three key issues: improving the profitability of the Fire Rescue Group and refuse truck body business, divesting non-strategic business activities, and improving the company’s overhead cost structure. The company has initiated seven restructuring transactions during the second quarter, and expects to announce others before year-end.
    Robert D. Welding, president and chief executive officer, stated, “Through a combination of divestitures, plant consolidations, and product rationalization moves, we will reduce the scope of
    our product offerings, exit businesses where we lack competitive advantage sufficient to achieve our growth targets, and unwind ourselves from activities that are not creating shareholder value.
    This will provide us with a stronger, more focused platform on which to build our company.” The company’s proactive plan to redefine its business and streamline its operational structure occurs after six months of evaluation of the company’s portfolio of products and services. Welding added, “Our goal is to create a portfolio of businesses that can achieve sustained, profitable revenue growth, to the point that economic returns comfortably exceed the cost of capital going forward. We believe we can do this by focusing our attention on fewer businesses that exhibit strong inherent growth characteristics and significant competitive advantages either in technology, product design or distribution.”
    The initiatives include the following restructuring plans and divestitures:

Fire Rescue Group
    · Closure of Preble, New York plant – The company will close its 120,000 square foot
    production facilities in Preble, New York and consolidate US production of fire rescue
    vehicles into its Ocala, Florida operations. The consolidation is possible because
    successful lean manufacturing initiatives have reduced manufacturing space requirements
    throughout the Fire Rescue Group, and because of progress being made to rationalize and
    structure the company’s broad array of vehicle configurations. The consolidation will be
    complete before year-end and will reduce fixed costs by about $3 million per year beginning in 2005. The closure of the Preble plants and the disposition of excess assets
    are expected to result in after-tax restructuring charges aggregating $4.1 million in 2004.

Saulsbury Fire Rescue, Inc.
    7209 Route 281, Building #1
    Preble, NY 13141
    Phone: 315-238-8909
    Fax: 315-238-8924
    www.saulsburyfire.com

"Great fire and rescue vehicles are not built by machines, but crafted by hand."
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 07-13-2004 at 01:08 PM.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information