MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Montana hotshot crew involved in car accident

Wildland Rundown
    Montana hotshot crew involved in car accident
    By GREG LEMON Staff Reporter
    A large crew carrier transporting nine members of the Bitterroot Interagency Hotshot crew collided with a motor home Wednesday morning in Socorro, N.M, critically injuring two of the firefighters. The motor home driver was killed. The accident happened on U.S. 90, 47 miles west of Socorro, said New Mexico State Police Sergeant Tommy Hooper. The driver was the only person in the motor home. Eight hotshots were transported from the scene of the accident to the hospital in Socorro and one was life-flighted to the University of New Mexico medical center in Albuquerque. One of the eight was later transported to the medical center in Albuquerque as well, said Dixie Dies, public affairs officer for the Bitterroot National Forest. Both firefighters in Albuquerque are in critical condition, she said. Their names have not been released. Of the seven hotshots left in Socorro, five have been released, she said. "It appears from the evidence at the scene that the motor home had some sort of tire failure," said Hooper. When the tire failed, the motor home swerved into oncoming traffic, he said. The hotshots were traveling with two crew carriers. The first carrier swerved and missed the motor home, but the second hit it with a glancing, head-on blow, said Hooper. A crew carrier is a large vehicle capable of transporting nine firefighters and their gear. Emergency personnel were on the scene within 15 minutes, he said. It was an unfortunate accident, said Hooper. There are still some secondary interviews to conduct with hotshot crew members, but no criminal investigation is being conducted, he said. The motor home driver was wearing his seat belt, but it is still unclear whether the hotshot crew members were. The interagency fire crew was in New Mexico since June 16, to do initial attack work, said Dies. They were en route to another fire when the accident happened.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers are with the crew, I hope those injured have a full and speedy recovery.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

"Emergency personnel were on the scene within 15 minutes, he said."
    Great responce time but I know that when your laying there injured 15 mins may seem like a lifetime. Sad to hear about the driver of the motorhome. I hope everyone else makes a full recovery.
    Be Safe,
    Cell
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information