Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 5 or 10 minuetes excercises

Does anyone have any suggestions on fitting exercise in in small time slots?What type of exercise?What about while driving in a car, during my commute or while sitting at a desk job?

MembersZone Subscriber Wildman51's Avatar

Default You've got to find the time...

Unfortunately, in our business, we really have to make time. Fitness is as important as anything else is in our job. All aspects of fitness (which include strength, endurance, cardiovascular fitness and flexibility) are vital to doing a good job and coming home alive at the end of a shift. I came across a written article by a chief who said “ We lose the right to be out of shape when we become firefighters”. Enough said…
    If you really are pinched for time, you can find a few 8-10 minute exercises at the page identified below. That will lead you to an 8-minute abs program that will work in your office.
    Good luck!

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/tr...bs-workout.htm
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

Wildman beat me to the punch on this one, but you have to make time to exercise. Yes, getting 10 minutes in everyday is good, but not great. Like everything in life, you need to schedule it. I have found the best time for me to work out is early in the morning before I go to work. I usually hit the gym around 5 am and workout for about 1.5 hours, get cleaned up and go to work. But like I said, it works for me, and not for everyone.

Start with finding 30 minutes every other day. If you can do that consistantly, watch what you eat and you will see results. Once you see results, it is easier to find more time to workout. However, do not overtrain, it is almost as deadly as no training.

Check out Men's Health magazine, they have some great quick workouts. Stay away from some of the muscle magazines, yes those guys (and gals) look impressive, but there are drugs involved (which we cannot or choose not to take), and they live at the gym.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

You really need to make time to keep in shape. Here's a few things I do to supplement my regular workouts.

If I find myself at home watching TV in the evening, I do pushups, situps, curls with dumbells during the commercials. You would be amazed how many pushups you can do in an evening with some recovery time in between sets!

On my commute I use one of the grip stregtheners.
    Career/Volunteer, We are all professionals!

Forum Member

Just started to jog in the morning when i get home, not much but its a start. I am jogging for 10 minutes then walking for 5, turning around and jogging for 5 minutes and walking for about 10, going to get comfortable with that and then slowly increase my time on 2nd jog.I also plan a light weight workout after my jog but have not started it yet.I work 24/48 so I will be doing this at a regular time except when I have a class or am teaching on a saturday, will probally move those runs to the early evening when I have to.

MembersZone Subscriber Wildman51's Avatar

Thumbs up Good start...

Good Job, Kjohn23... maybe seek out a buddie with the same goal. There will be days when your partner will motivate you to get the job done even though you'd rather be doing something else.
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

Forum Member

Another thing to look for are resistance bands. They are very portable and easily stored in a bag,breifcase,etc. You can do several excercises with them. Great for short workouts behind a desk.

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

Originally posted by kjohn23
    Just started to jog in the morning when i get home, not much but its a start. I am jogging for 10 minutes then walking for 5, turning around and jogging for 5 minutes and walking for about 10, going to get comfortable with that and then slowly increase my time on 2nd jog.I also plan a light weight workout after my jog but have not started it yet.I work 24/48 so I will be doing this at a regular time except when I have a class or am teaching on a saturday, will probally move those runs to the early evening when I have to.
    Everybody has to start somewhere, believe it or not, but most people that I have meet have started this way. As you start to build stamina (sp?), something different to try. It is called "High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)". This method has been proven (by medical professionals) to burn more fat than muscle during cardio workouts.

Here is how it works, after a 5 minute warmup, you run as fast as you can for 30 seconds. After that, walk at a moderate to brisk pace for 1 minute, then repeat the sprint/walk cycle for a total of 30 minutes, then do a 5 minute cooldown. But like I said, wait until you have built up to it.

If possible do this 3-4 times a week, throw in some core training (crunches, mountain climbers, stability ball exercises) after you finish your cardio. Once you start to feel comfortable, start doing some resistance training. Flathead suggested resistance bands, these are great to start, but nothing beat old fashioned dumbbells and free weights. Probably starting the dumbbells would be easiest. However, don't just concentrate on building your biceps. There are more muscles than those.

Be careful, however, when training your back. It is easy to overdue it and get hurt. Remember, soreness is okay (to some extent), but pain is bad. You hurt your back, everything gets out of whack.

One final suggestion, go to a local gym and talk to some of the trainers for ideals. Be honest with them about your goals and restrictions. Most trainers should be understanding and give you a few pointers for free (at least they do in my gym).

Just remember that you did not put on all the weight overnight, so don't expect it to come off overnight. It will be a lifelong process, but one well worth it. However, do not forget out getting your nutrition plan in order. All the workouts in the world will not help if you do not give your body the correct fuel.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can do kegels while driving in your car. Heck, you can do kegels practically anytime anywhere.

Forum Member

What in the world is a kegel?

Thread Information