Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Fire Fighting Training for Women

Where can an adult women get fire fighting training?

Forum Member

Just about anywhere that an adult male can...
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

The same place adult men get their training............... a fire academy, a volunteer organization, etc. There is NO difference in training for women, you are expected to be able to perform the job to a minimum standard, the bar is not and should not be lowered just because you are female. Oh and just so you know, I am female.

Edited for grammatical faux pas
    Last edited by PFire23; 07-02-2004 at 01:17 AM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Yeah, NFPA doesn't have a seperate set of standards for female firefighters. A female firefighter is expected to be able to perform the same functions as a male firefighter.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Where are some of the best fire academies? Also is volunteer training better than academy training?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Uhhhhhhhh..................... ...........

It would appear that you are new here, so I'll try not to offend, but your questions sound like you have no connection to a Fire Dept. at this time. If I may, a couple of questions: Do you want to be a Fire/Rescue/Medical person? If so, most Volunteer AND Career Departments fix you up with a Training system once you are on board. In my area (Maryland) I don't know of anyone who looks for people that are already trained, It's the other way around, find the recruits, then train them. Many times training alone is not worth much if you are job hunting. In this line of work, training MUST be mixed with experience to be worth anything. If you wish, PM me with info on what you want to do and I'll try to provide some answers. Bear in mind that things differ around this great country, what's good on the East Coast might not mean much on the West Coast. Also there are some states like Maryland, where you must be a member of a Fire Dept. to be able to take Firefighter training courses.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thumbs up Helpful info...

You didn't say where you are located (or I missed it)....I've never been to the below weekend, so I do not know how much fire service knowledge you need to attend. From the looks of it, you need to be affiliated with a department.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/academy.html

1112 NYS Women Firefighters Weekend September 24 - 26, 2004

The weekend, for women firefighters and planned by women firefighters, is being presented in partnership with Women in the Fire Service, Inc., an international resource and networking organization for women firefighters. The program of training, demonstrations and seminars is designed specifically for the needs and interests of career and volunteer female firefighters.

Designed For: All female fire service personnel
    Course Length: 12 hours
    Note: Call the Academy at (607) 535-7136 for information.

###

You may find more relevant information here (Women in the Fire Service, Inc.):

http://www.wfsi.org/
    Last edited by DianeC; 07-12-2004 at 08:49 AM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information