Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Im in need of guidance.............

I live in Honolulu, HI and im dead set on becoming a firefighter. Im 19 years old and currently attending college for fire science. There is a problem though..........there is only one community college (the one i attend) in hawaii that provides a fire science degree. The problem is their firescience program isnt top priority if you know what i mean. classes are more or less unavailabe......they yanked the EMS certification classes (i dont know why). You get the idea. And to make it worse my school counselor said having an associates will not help me get into the fire departmen. She said it rides mainly on your test score. Would i be better off buying fire study guide books and going over them until the test comes around?? The department tests every three years here on Oahu and every year on the other islands. Competition is stiff to say the least. I am begining to get severly frustrated with my situation and dont know which way to go. ANY help and guidance anyone has to offer will be GREATLY appreciated, as i am dead set on being a firefighter and aint gonna stop until get my badge!

Forum Member

Default Paramedic

That EMS certification was unique to HI and not required to take tests anywhere. You can still get you EMT right? Even when tests are given in the islands the real locals have and advantage.

At your age, your best day would be to get your EMT and ride ambulance to see if you are comfortable and like this kind of work. If you do then get the pre-requisites and have your parents, grandparents or other relative you could stay with get you to the mainland and get your paramedic certification and test there or return home to work on a medic amubulance. Eighty percent of the job offerings are for fire/medics on the mainland.

If you got hired as a medica with AMR you could transfer back to HI and be in position to test.

Most firefighters on Kauai are not even EMTs. I know medics working for AMR who got hired on Kauai as firefighters and went back to AMR because the pay was a lot higher.

It's not the credentials but how high you can pass the oral after the written to get a shot at that badge.

As Steve Prziborowski, Fire Captain - Santa Clara County Fire Department wrote:

Do what you have to do be more marketable so you can take more tests and have something more to offer a department, but remember that it all comes down to that 15 to 30 minute oral interview. I've seen some awesome candidates with resumes packed full of accomplishments that couldn't sell them self in an interview to even make the top 50%

If you're looking for a book to study for the written, check out the Firefighter Entrance Hand Book.

The proof is in the badge.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-02-2004 at 12:01 PM.

THANK YOU! I am going to need your help and guidance for a while captbob.........please dont mind me asking a ton of questions. Okay so i did some searching and found that Kapiolani community college offers EMT-basic and MICT-mobile intesive care technician(paramedic)!!!!! Is this the way to go? If so does it matter if i recieve the certificate of achievment or an A.S. degree??

bump for an answer.

another bump...................i really need answers

MembersZone Subscriber

HFD gets recruits certified as EMT-B during training. Big Island trains up to EMT-I. Getting into the EMS side of the house would be a good use of your time while waiting for the next fire test. Then, if you score high on the written, pass the CPAT and interview well, your EMS credentials could set you apart from other applicants. Degrees/certificates will help you out once you're in but they won't get you in. High test score and good interview are going to do that.

Thread Information